Calculating Average Lifetime of Particles at Rest

In summary, the problem asks for the average lifetime of unknown particles at rest, given their speed of 2.5 x 10^8 m/s and their average lifetime of 7.3 x 10^-8 s when moving at this speed. The Lorentz transformation for time is used to calculate the ratio of time between the rest frame and the moving frame. However, the equation provided only converts time in the moving frame to time in the rest frame, so the inverse must be used to find the particles' lifetime at rest. This can be done by solving for t' and setting v = 0.
DataGG
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A beam of unknown particles travels at a speed of 2.5 x 10^8 m/s. When the particles are moving at this speed, their average lifetime is found to be 7,3 x 10^-8 s. What is their average lifetime when at rest?

Homework Equations

Well, Lorentz transformation for time is an obvious one: t = t'*[itex]\gamma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I really have no idea where to pick this from. I know that when v = 0 => t = t'.

I'm missing something here...

Thanks in advange.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have the info to calculate the gamma right? as they gave you the particle's speed.

what is the t and what is the t' in the equation you posted?

I believe i know how to solve it now, I'll try it out after posting this. Sorry for not defining my letters, but t = time measured on a frame with V = 0, and t' = time measured on a referencial frame with v >> 0. (the usual stuff).

Yes, I do have the info the calcullate gammaEDIT: No, i still don't know how to solve this

Last edited:
I edited my last post, I still don't know how to solve this, damn.

mmf said:
I believe i know how to solve it now, I'll try it out after posting this. Sorry for not defining my letters, but t = time measured on a frame with V = 0, and t' = time measured on a referencial frame with v >> 0. (the usual stuff).

I think you've got it the wrong way round. But the first thing to do is to calculate gamma, and this will give the ratio of the time according to the two frames.

BruceW said:
I think you've got it the wrong way round. But the first thing to do is to calculate gamma, and this will give the ratio of the time according to the two frames.

What's wrong? why? And what do I do with gamma? (I already calculated it, but I don't know how's that going to help me)

t and t' are the wrong way round, according to the way you defined them. You can tell this because the time according to the lab frame should be greater (which is why it is called time dilation).

BruceW said:
t and t' are the wrong way round, according to the way you defined them. You can tell this because the time according to the lab frame should be greater (which is why it is called time dilation).

Are you sure? I'd say that the time particles experience is greater than the lab-frame. Well, I believe it depends on what we define the "proper-time" to be, right? When it says that the life-time is 7,3x10^-8, is it measured on S' or S?

Anywho, eitherway, I've no idea how to solve this.

mmf said:
Are you sure? I'd say that the time particles experience is greater than the lab-frame. Well, I believe it depends on what we define the "proper-time" to be, right? When it says that the life-time is 7,3x10^-8, is it measured on S' or S?

Anywho, eitherway, I've no idea how to solve this.

EDIT: I've just reread what i wrote and all I said was that t = time read on S frame (at rest relative to earth), and t' = time read on S' frame (which is moving relative to earth). That is correct. How is that wrong?

I have this particle it lives for 10 secs. it goes whizzing by this observer at near light speeds. The observer says the particle lives for 100 secs. The time equation you have converts time in the particles frame to time in the observers frame. right?

so what is stopping you from solving this problem?

jedishrfu said:
I have this particle it lives for 10 secs. it goes whizzing by this observer at near light speeds. The observer says the particle lives for 100 secs. The time equation you have converts time in the particles frame to time in the observers frame. right?

so what is stopping you from solving this problem?

I may be missing something here, I've done all the other problems but I can't seem to do this one. I can easily convert time in the particles frame to time in the observers frame. However, that's not what it's asking. I need to know its lifetime when v = 0. Seriously, sorry if I'm really missing something right in front of me, but wow, I simply can not see it.

EDIT: lol... I just re-read the question, I've done it. Note to self: re-read the question.

Related to Calculating Average Lifetime of Particles at Rest

1. What is the average lifetime of particles at rest?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is calculated by dividing the total number of particles by the total time they are at rest. This gives a measure of how long, on average, a particle remains at rest before decaying or interacting with other particles.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average lifetime of particles at rest?

Calculating the average lifetime of particles at rest is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. It can also provide insights into the stability of particles and their role in the universe.

3. How do you determine the total number of particles at rest?

To determine the total number of particles at rest, researchers use various detection methods such as particle accelerators and detectors. These methods can measure the number of particles and their properties, allowing for the calculation of the average lifetime of particles at rest.

4. Can the average lifetime of particles at rest change?

Yes, the average lifetime of particles at rest can change depending on the conditions and environment in which they are being observed. For example, the presence of other particles or external forces can affect the stability and lifetime of particles at rest.

5. How does the average lifetime of particles at rest relate to the concept of half-life?

The average lifetime of particles at rest is related to the concept of half-life in radioactive decay. Half-life is the time it takes for half of the particles in a sample to decay. In a similar way, the average lifetime of particles at rest represents the time it takes for half of the particles to decay or interact with other particles.