A generation is about one-third of a lifetime.

In summary: There is nothing wrong with your method.So -- how did you answer the question?And -- what does the link say?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of generations and how many have passed since year 0 AD. The question presents an equation found by googling, but the asker is unsure of how to interpret or use it. They mention their own method of dividing a lifetime of 70 years by 3 to find a generation, but this does not match the answer given. Ultimately, the asker is looking for clarification and understanding of the question and its solution.
Bijackar

Homework Statement

A generation is about one-third of a lifetime. Approximately how
many generations have passed since the year 0 AD?

Let me first say that this is my first time taking physics and this is all new to me so I appreciate all the help.

Homework Equations

here is the answer I found by googleing but I don't quite understand it. I was wondering if someone could explain it to me.

history x (10^11s / history) × (1 generation / 1/3 lifetime) × (0.5 lifetime / 10^9s) = 150

The Attempt at a Solution

How I approached this problem was that I chose 70 to be an average person's lifetime then I divided that by 3 to find what a generation is and then divide 2015 by that number which is not what the answer says. I think I just don't get the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bijackar said:

Homework Statement

A generation is about one-third of a lifetime. Approximately how
many generations have passed since the year 0 AD?

Let me first say that this is my first time taking physics and this is all new to me so I appreciate all the help.

Homework Equations

here is the answer I found by googleing but I don't quite understand it. I was wondering if someone could explain it to me.

history x (10^11s / history) × (1 generation / 1/3 lifetime) × (0.5 lifetime / 10^9s) = 150

The Attempt at a Solution

How I approached this problem was that I chose 70 to be an average person's lifetime then I divided that by 3 to find what a generation is and then divide 2015 by that number which is not what the answer says. I think I just don't get the question.
Looking at that "Googled" solution:

What time interval are they assuming for the "history" of whatever?

What time interval are they assuming for a "lifetime" ?

Look at their expression.

(1011s / history) is a conversion factor for units of "history" to seconds.

How many years are there in 1011 seconds?

Similarly, (0.5 lifetime / 109s) is a conversion from seconds to a "half a life(time)".

How many years are in 109 seconds?

A "Generation" is commonly 25 years. The Question is asking how much (unknown variable) multiplied by 25 gives 2015?

Bijackar said:

By the way, I should have said:

Welcome to PF!

AND --

Your method is perfectly reasonable.

I was merely trying to get you to understand some of the quantities in that expression you found elsewhere.

Related to A generation is about one-third of a lifetime.

1. How long is a generation?

A generation is generally considered to be around 25-30 years, which is roughly one-third of the average human lifespan.

2. Why is a generation defined as one-third of a lifetime?

This definition is based on the average human lifespan of around 75-90 years. Dividing this by three results in a generation of 25-30 years.

3. Is a generation the same for everyone?

No, the length of a generation can vary based on factors such as cultural traditions, societal norms, and even individual beliefs. Some may define a generation as shorter or longer than one-third of a lifetime.

4. What is the importance of understanding generations?

Understanding generations can provide insight into societal and cultural trends, as well as how individuals may be influenced by their generational experiences and beliefs. It can also help with effective communication and bridging generational gaps.

5. How does the concept of a generation change over time?

The definition and understanding of a generation can evolve over time as societal norms and cultural values shift. For example, in the past, a generation may have been defined as a larger group of people born within a certain time frame, but now it may be more specific to individuals' experiences and beliefs.