What is Synesthesia and How Does it Affect Perception in Art and Science?

• Thread starter dwunder
  • Start date
In summary, synesthesia is a neurological condition in which a person experiences a blending of sensations, such as seeing colors when hearing music or tasting flavors when seeing certain objects. It affects perception in both art and science as it allows for a unique and often enhanced way of experiencing and interpreting the world. This can lead to innovative approaches in both fields, as well as a deeper understanding of the connections between different senses and how they shape our perceptions. However, it can also present challenges in accurate communication and understanding for those without synesthesia. Overall, synesthesia offers a fascinating glimpse into the complexity of the human brain and its ability to process and interpret the world around us.
dwunder
I'm a syner. Ha! That just means my senses are cross wired, so what I see can have a taste, a smell, or a sensation (hot, cold, or localized pressure). For example, I know the chicken is done when I see spikes and the metal taste is gone. This information is rarely useful to anyone else, but there have been occasions.
I'm not good with the mechanics of mathematics, but I understand it theoretically, as a language, if that makes sense.
I'm also an artist with interest in physics and biology. I have a LOT of questions, so I will be mining information here. I may have something to offer, as well, in terms of conceptual art. Thanks! http://www.fabdw.com for any who may be interested.
20170724_145852.jpg
MomentumInS_1print-e1346692528640 (1).jpg

Likes stoomart and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF!
Thank you.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF!
I have added a PF link to my personal web page. fabdw.com

Likes berkeman