What is Consciousness? How does it affect our Physical Universe?

In summary, this individual is trying to understand consciousness and how it affects the physical universe. He has been trying to understand different things such as the behaviour of other individuals, his own behaviour, and our interaction with other conscious individuals.
Immortal68
TL;DR Summary
I've recently set myself a personal task. And that's to understand consciousness.
Sure it seems like an impossible feat but I need to gain a bit more depth, every little helps. I've been trying to analyse different things in life. Behaviours of other individuals', my own behaviour, our interaction with other conscious individuals, e.t.c. Essentially I've just been trying to see what makes others tick. Sure you might think this falls under the purview of psychology, but I'm not trying to analyse people psychologically. I'm trying to see how they themselves can affect the world around them.

How can consciousness affect our physical universe in real time? Why does it affect it as such?

I just wanted to have a read on other thoughts people here might have to offer. All thoughts are welcome. I just wish to broaden my perception really.

Space news on Phys.org
Assassin101236 said:
Summary:: I've recently set myself a personal task. And that's to understand consciousness.

How can consciousness affect our physical universe in real time? Why does it affect it as such?

Your consciousness would affect physical universe including my consciousness.
My consciousness would affect physical universe including your consciousness.
So I am skeptical about setting two categories, consciousness and physical universe.

Assassin101236 said:
How can consciousness affect our physical universe in real time?

I just consciously moved a pen from the right side of my desk to the left, thus affecting the physical universe.

Vanadium 50 said:
I just consciously moved a pen from the right side of my desk to the left, thus affecting the physical universe.

Right I understand that. But how can our perception and our conscious mind affect things like particles in the quantum realm? How do these things relate? Affecting the exact position of a pen makes sense but somehow affecting something that you cannot see, with your conscious mind, is just strange. Sure I understand no one knows the answer, but you might have some idea. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, just a thought would suffice.

This sounds a lot like new age woo.

For this to be scientific, there has to be a repeatable measurement somewhere. I don't see it.

Immortal68 said:
...somehow affecting something that you cannot see, with your conscious mind, is just strange.
Well, uh ... the brain is an electro-chemical device. It emits electrical signals that can be detected by probes.
So, technically, you can trigger the probes using "only your mind". We can amplify these and display them on a graph.

Immortal68 said:
But how can our perception and our conscious mind affect things like particles in the quantum realm?
To the best of our available knowledge only through our bodies.

We don’t do speculation here. If you find a suitable scientific study that you would like to discuss then please open a new thread to discuss that paper.

What is consciousness?

Consciousness is the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is the subjective experience of being alive and having a sense of self.

How does consciousness affect our physical universe?

Consciousness is a fundamental aspect of the physical universe. It is the driving force behind our perception and understanding of the world around us. Our thoughts and actions are influenced by our conscious experiences, and therefore, consciousness plays a crucial role in shaping our physical reality.

Is consciousness a product of the brain?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about the relationship between consciousness and the brain. Some theories suggest that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain's complex neural networks, while others propose that consciousness is a separate entity that can exist independently of the brain.

Can consciousness be measured or quantified?

Currently, there is no definitive way to measure or quantify consciousness. However, scientists have developed various methods, such as brain imaging techniques and psychological tests, to study and understand different aspects of consciousness.

Is consciousness unique to humans?

Consciousness is a complex and multifaceted concept, and it is difficult to determine if it is unique to humans. Some argue that animals and even plants exhibit forms of consciousness, while others believe that human consciousness is distinct and cannot be compared to other forms of consciousness.