What Inspires My Love for Science? A Layman's Perspective

• Thread starter PartialMitch
  • Start date
PartialMitch
Hi there!

My name is Mitch, and I'm a science addict. It's been two hours since I binge-read some scientific literature.

I've been poking my head in here for a while, mostly just admiring the discussions and wealth of information. Nothing gives me hope for the future like seeing folks demonstrate curiosity and respect for knowledge, so this place obvious inspires a lot of positive feelings in me.

I am not a scientist, nor am I involved in any sort of scientific field. Instead, I'm a layman who simply loves to learn new things. I am also a self-published author, and my writing is best described as science-fantasy disguised as a superhero story. While I do not strive toward writing hard sci-fi, I do like to incorporate as much realistic information as possible. For example, my novel incorporates a fair bit of cytogenetics (with a focus on retrotransposons) and cosmology (specifically regarding the earliest eras of cosmic history and the development of the fundamental forces). I should stress that, as a writer, I'm more devoted to the story and characters than I am to pure scientific accuracy, but I attempt to ground the tale in reality. Grossly inaccurate technobabble always makes me nauseous.

So a place like this is a real gift for someone like me. I greatly appreciate the time and effort put in by the many contributors and commenters here. Thanks for being dedicated to spreading knowledge! The world is a better place because of people like you fine folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Mitch! :smile:

Thanks! This place really is amazing! I should have made an account long ago.