What if a modern physics textbook found itself back in time

In summary, a 1000 page calculus based physics textbook from 300 years in the future would be valuable to scientists of that time, but would have limited applicability in later centuries. It would be valuable for its description of equipment and technology available at the time, and for its lessons on how much there is to learn.
Quantumfied
Okay guys, I’ve been wondering how different would the world be if something as simple as my calculus based physics textbook found itself back in time around 300 years ago. For the sake of the argument assume some rift opened up and swallowed my book sending it back to the year 1720. Let’s assume there is no paradox due to time travel. My textbook is approximately 1000 pages covering topics from mechanics, relativity, optics, electromagnetism, nuclear physics, and circuits. Assuming the book found itself on the desk of a world class scientist of the time that didn’t conceal the knowledge from his fellow scientists, engineers, and other scholars.

With that said how different would the world now be if just a single textbook that I described found it’s way in the past?

Likes ZeGato and Hawkingo
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantumfied said:
Okay guys, I’ve been wondering how different would the world be if something as simple as my calculus based physics textbook found itself back in time around 300 years ago. For the sake of the argument assume some rift opened up and swallowed my book sending it back to the year 1720. Let’s assume there is no paradox due to time travel. My textbook is approximately 1000 pages covering topics from mechanics, relativity, optics, electromagnetism, nuclear physics, and circuits. Assuming the book found itself on the desk of a world class scientist of the time that didn’t conceal the knowledge from his fellow scientists, engineers, and other scholars.

With that said how different would the world now be if just a single textbook that I described found it’s way in the past?
Sounds like a plot to a sci-fi film.
It would be difficult to test and verify some of those theories using 18th century technology – how would they test / experiment for all the subatomic particles? Relativity? They had no particle accelerators or atomic clocks. Fibre optics, Deep space telescopes or spectrophotometers.
I think you would have to send an engineering/Chemistry book and materials science book back too. Probably some maths/ statistical analysis.
Imagine getting a book from 300 years into the future? Complete quantum gravity equations? Dark matter particle demonstrated? Dark Energy? Just after they falsified string theory? All you need is that lithium crystal particle accelerator around the solar system they built just after the megasuperlargedark matter particle collider was decommissioned in 2272.

Likes Hawkingo
There would be some uses but a textbook written in 2018 assumes a context that would not be true (for the most part) in previous centuries. When it mentions specific equipment it doesn't include details on how all these machines work and, more importantly, the manufacturing processes on how to build it (nor the plethora of industry and science needed for all of that). Plenty of things will be left unexplained because it can be reasonably assumed that a student in a 2018 classroom will know what these terms mean, e.g. references to computer modelling.

Likes phinds
<edit: remove junk post in quotes>

OP here and Idk how your post got deleted but after reading it, it has nothing to do with what I posted and I agree that it should have been deleted. Btw this post is allowed on this forum as it was posted in the sci-fi section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ryan_m_b
1720 they had calculus but not the Lagrange- or Hamilton formalism (Lagrange was born 1736, Hamilton 1805). They might appreciate that. It would also give the book some credibility for parts that are harder to verify.

A primitive steam engine was invented around that time, a more powerful one was built by Watt in 1781. The ideal gas law is from 1834, combining a few special cases to a single law - knowing it earlier should help with the steam engines.

The Maxwell equations should help soon. The first proper electric motor was built in 1821 but with the theory behind it I would expect more serious development earlier. Knowing that all this stuff can have applications helps a lot.

Perhaps the most valuable lesson from the book would be how much there is to learn. Imagine we get a book today that describes some sort of superluminal travel, a way to convert matter to antimatter (->energy source via annihilation) and has an astronomy section where results from a 1 million kilometer telescope are discussed. We don't understand most of the descriptions and we cannot build any of the necessary tools - but it tells us we can work towards that goal.

Likes Quantumfied, ZeGato and pinball1970

Related to What if a modern physics textbook found itself back in time

1. What would happen if a modern physics textbook traveled back in time?

If a modern physics textbook were to somehow find itself back in time, it would likely cause a significant disruption in the timeline. The knowledge contained in the textbook could potentially alter the course of history and change the trajectory of scientific progress.

2. Could a modern physics textbook be understood by people in the past?

It is unlikely that a modern physics textbook would be easily understood by people in the past, as scientific knowledge and language have evolved significantly over time. However, some basic concepts and principles may still be recognizable and comprehensible to those with a strong understanding of mathematics and science.

3. Would the presence of a modern physics textbook in the past affect the development of science and technology?

Yes, the presence of a modern physics textbook in the past could potentially accelerate the development of science and technology. By introducing advanced concepts and theories, it could inspire and guide scientists and inventors to make groundbreaking discoveries and inventions much earlier than they did in the original timeline.

4. What potential consequences could arise from a modern physics textbook appearing in the past?

The consequences of a modern physics textbook appearing in the past could range from minor changes in historical events to significant shifts in the course of human civilization. It could also have unintended consequences, such as altering the natural environment or creating paradoxes in the timeline.

5. Is it possible for a modern physics textbook to travel back in time?

In theory, it is possible for a modern physics textbook or any object to travel back in time. However, it would require a significant amount of energy and advanced technology that is currently not available. Time travel is still a topic of speculation and debate in the scientific community, and there is currently no consensus on its feasibility.