'Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur' by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell as a self-study textbook?

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'd like to hear your professional opinion on and experience with using Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell as a self-study textbook. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty good, but the maths is still wild and woolly. I supplemented it by watching Tobias Osborne's lectures on YouTube. He had two courses on QFT.

The book has some nice insights.

The material is not dissimilar to David Tong's notes online.

https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

I also tried Zee's QFT in a Nutshell but he had lost me completely by page 5.

PS that's an amateur opinion, of course!

Likes gentzen, Daverz, AndreasC and 4 others
PeroK said:
PS that's an amateur opinion, of course!
A gifted amateur opinion, I would add. :smile:

I like "QFT for the he Gifted Amateur" very much. It's not so good for developing technical computational skills, but it's fantastic for developing conceptual understanding. (And I'm a professional, btw.)

Likes gentzen, pinball1970, AndreasC and 6 others
I think concerning the conceptional point of view, emphasizing the importance of locality and microcausality and Poincare symmetry, Coleman's lectures are better:

S. Coleman, Lectures of Sidney Coleman on Quantum Field
Theory, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Hackensack
(2018), https://doi.org/10.1142/9371

Likes Daverz and Hill
PeroK said:
I also tried Zee's QFT in a Nutshell but he had lost me completely by page 5.
I tried several Zee's "in a nutshell" books. His writing style doesn't work for me. :frown:

Likes weirdoguy, ohwilleke, PeroK and 2 others
PeroK said:
I supplemented it by watching Tobias Osborne's lectures on YouTube.
Unfortunately, I cannot learn "by ear" because of a form of APD.

Usually the nutshells are too small for the addressed topics. There's no king's way to QFT!

Likes ohwilleke and Hill
Hill said:
Unfortunately, I cannot learn "by ear" because of a form of APD.
Hm, APD or not, you can't learn physics by just watching/attending lectures, but you have to do it yourself. Usually you start with attending a lecture or reading a book. That's just to get informed about the topic you want to learn, but then you have to practice by solving problems related to this topic for yourself. That's why it's good to have textbook with many problems (+solutions to check your work).

Likes ohwilleke, MatinSAR and Hill
vanhees71 said:
you have to do it yourself
This is my intent.
vanhees71 said:
+solutions to check your work
Most / all textbooks don't provide these. I think the QFTftGA doesn't either.

Likes MatinSAR
Then the Homework section of this forum is a great opportunity!

Likes MatinSAR and Hill
vanhees71 said:
I think concerning the conceptional point of view, emphasizing the importance of locality and microcausality and Poincare symmetry, Coleman's lectures are better:

S. Coleman, Lectures of Sidney Coleman on Quantum Field
Theory, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Hackensack
(2018), https://doi.org/10.1142/9371
I should agree with vanhees71. Every time people ask for advice on what QFT textbook to use, Coleman Lectures always come up, and for a good reason. See them as some sort of "Feynman Lectures" on QFT. They are, perhaps, a bit more edited than Feynman's Red Books, but Coleman's students did a great job of keeping his spirit (and humor!). In my opinion, nothing can beat a verbatim lecture, edited or not edited. But the book is not for the light-hearted reader. Well, come to think of it, what QFT text is for light-hearted souls?

Likes ohwilleke
Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
I like the book, although it had some confusing aspects to me. But its refreshing style makes it different from most other textbooks and worth the effort.

Likes vanhees71 and Hill
I like the book a lot so far in spite of the aspects mentioned earlier. One confusing aspect to me is typos in some derivations, although finding them can be viewed as built-in exercises in addition to the ones at the end of each section.

One such typo has been pointed to in this thread. Here is, I believe, another:

1701693564535.png

Three terms have missing factors ##e^{i\alpha}##, and the result should be rather ##D_{\mu}\psi \, e^{i\alpha}## to be non-trivial.

Likes vanhees71 and ohwilleke
The first of law of physics books is the conservation of exercises for the reader. Either your exercise is to derive it yourself or rederive it because of typos.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, haushofer and Philip Koeck
Well, it's reassuring for textbook/manuscript authors if the readers take the typos with good humor ;-)). I wish I could deliver typo-free texts though...

One should, however, mention that it's the crucial point of "gauging" a global symmetry to a gauge invariance that the gauge-covariant derivative transforms as the field for spacetime-dependent phase factors, i.e., you introduce the gauge field ##A_{\mu}(x)## as a connection to define the gauge-covariant derivative, i.e.,
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} + \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}.$$
It's defined such that for
$$\psi'(x)=\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)]$$
the covariant derivative also fulfills the same transformation law,
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}' \psi'(x)=\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] \mathrm{D}_{\mi} \psi(x),$$
and the question is how ##A_{\mu}## transforms to ##A_{\mu}'##. Indeed
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}' \psi'(x)=(\partial_{\mu} + \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}') [\exp(-\mathrm{i} q \alpha) \psi] = \exp(-\mathrm{i} q \alpha) [\partial_{\mu} +\mathrm{i} q (A_{\mu}'-\partial_{\mu} \alpha)] \psi$$
Since this should be
$$\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] \mathrm{D}_{\mi} \psi(x) = \exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] (\partial_{\mu} +\mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}) \psi(x),$$
you get
$$A_{\mu}'-\partial_{\mu} \alpha=A_{\mu} \; \Rightarrow \; A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \alpha.$$

vanhees71 said:
Well, it's reassuring for textbook/manuscript authors if the readers take the typos with good humor ;-)). I wish I could deliver typo-free texts though...

One should, however, mention that it's the crucial point of "gauging" a global symmetry to a gauge invariance that the gauge-covariant derivative transforms as the field for spacetime-dependent phase factors, i.e., you introduce the gauge field ##A_{\mu}(x)## as a connection to define the gauge-covariant derivative, i.e.,
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} + \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}.$$
It's defined such that for
$$\psi'(x)=\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)]$$
the covariant derivative also fulfills the same transformation law,
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}' \psi'(x)=\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] \mathrm{D}_{\mi} \psi(x),$$
and the question is how ##A_{\mu}## transforms to ##A_{\mu}'##. Indeed
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu}' \psi'(x)=(\partial_{\mu} + \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}') [\exp(-\mathrm{i} q \alpha) \psi] = \exp(-\mathrm{i} q \alpha) [\partial_{\mu} +\mathrm{i} q (A_{\mu}'-\partial_{\mu} \alpha)] \psi$$
Since this should be
$$\exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] \mathrm{D}_{\mi} \psi(x) = \exp[-\mathrm{i} q \alpha(x)] (\partial_{\mu} +\mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}) \psi(x),$$
you get
$$A_{\mu}'-\partial_{\mu} \alpha=A_{\mu} \; \Rightarrow \; A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \alpha.$$
This is explained in the book, too. However, they have the ##-q## factor moved from the field ##\psi## to ##A##:
1702056547116.png

The result, gauge invariance, is the same, of course.

vanhees71 said:
Well, it's reassuring for textbook/manuscript authors if the readers take the typos with good humor ;-)). I wish I could deliver typo-free texts though... [...]
Macmillan Publishing Co., at least up to the '80s, was known to publish typo-free books. I own only two from Macmillan, Birkhoff & Mac Lane's "Modern Algebra", and Leithold's "College Algebra". Not only without typos, but beautiful editions, too!

Likes vanhees71
Well, at this time they may have had still a true lectorate at the publishing companies. Today you are completely on your own with proof-reading...

Likes apostolosdt