Good textbooks for second year physics courses?

In summary, the person is going into their second year and is looking for textbooks to study for physics courses. They mention struggling with a calculus course and want to avoid a repeat of that in their physics courses. They have listed the physics and math courses they are taking and are asking for suggestions on additional resources. They are open to video lectures and have provided links to some recommended courses.
starstruck_
Hey!

Im going into second year and I’m trying to find textbooks to study for some physics courses out of since I have the time.

Heck, even some multivariable calculus textbooks might help. We use James Stewart’s Early Transcendentals 8th Edition and it didn’t really help- that and uh I pulled a stupid this summer term and took 2 math courses (2nd year linear algebra and multivariable calculus) and an engineering course at once - for 6 weeks, failed the calculus course. My gpa is suffering, I ended first year off with around a 3.5 and now I’m a bit above a 2.0.

Not trying to repeat that, hopefully another book might help, or some extra practice. Also don’t want that happening to any of my physics courses next year.

The physics courses I have are classic mechanics, electricity and magnetism, special relativity, optics and spectra and some experimental course.

The math is just that multivariable course I failed and differential equations (for scientists and engineers).

What would you suggest? Thanksnin advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are okay with video lectures in addition to books, I would recommend the following:
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106027/ by Prof. V. Balakrishnan
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115104088/ by Prof. Manoj Harbola
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115101011/ by Prof. Shiva Prasad
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/111107108/ by Prof. S. K. Gupta and Dr. Sanjeev Kumar
The first three courses are available in PF media gallery as well.

You need to go through the courses to see if they meet your syllabus. But for learning, they are great.

Likes starstruck_

1. What are some recommended textbooks for second year physics courses?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for second year physics courses include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths.

2. Are there any free online resources for second year physics course material?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for second year physics courses such as lecture notes, problem sets, and video tutorials on websites like Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.

3. What criteria should I consider when choosing a textbook for my second year physics course?

When choosing a textbook, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the comprehensiveness of the material, the style and delivery of the content, and the relevance to your specific course curriculum.

4. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for self-study or independent learning?

Yes, there are textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study or independent learning, such as "Introductory Physics for Self-Study" by Prasun Kumar Nayak and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall D. Knight.

5. Can I use older editions of textbooks for my second year physics course?

In most cases, it is recommended to use the latest edition of a textbook for a second year physics course as it may contain updated information and examples. However, using older editions may still be acceptable as long as the core concepts and principles remain the same.