What do I need to know before starting my physics degree?

• Thread starter grouchomarxist
  • Start date
In summary, before starting a physics degree, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as it is a fundamental component of the field. It is also beneficial to have a solid understanding of basic physics concepts and principles, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Additionally, having strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a curiosity for exploring the natural world, can greatly enhance the learning experience in a physics degree program. Finally, being prepared for a rigorous workload and being open to continuously learning and adapting to new concepts and theories are essential for success in a physics degree program.
grouchomarxist
My name's Jacob, I'm an incoming college freshman majoring in physics. I have fallen in love with math and science over the last two years, after being locked in a self-defeating mentality of "not being good enough" for far too long. I'm excited to learn more about the universe, deepen my mathematical maturity, and eventually go on to pursue a PhD. I am very interested in cosmology, as well as particle physics. I'm happy to have joined the forum!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Jacob. Enjoy! :smile:

:welcome:

Have fun and stay curious! Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems with your studies!

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Jacob. Enjoy! :smile:
Thanks so much!

fresh_42 said:
:welcome:

Have fun and stay curious! Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems with your studies!
I'm likely to be doing a lot of asking over the next few years, I can't wait!