What courses count as upper-division physics? (also, which GPAs to list)

In summary: That's kind of telling the reader everything they need to know.I thought one of the general rules of personal statement is to not discuss anything that the admission committee already has. For example, if you have already submitted your transcript, they can see that you did well in your upper-division courses despite the low major GPA. Mentioning this in your personal statement seems redundant.
Simfish
Gold Member
What courses count as "upper-division physics?" (also, which GPAs to list)

Okay, here is my department's course catalog:
http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/phys.html

Anyways, does a "Elementary Mathematical Physics" course count as upper-division physics course? What about a "modern physics" course or a "thermal physics" course?

My physics GPA has a very sharp discontinuity between my freshman physics grades and my upper-division physics grades. My freshman physics grades were horrid (I was an immature 16-year old without prior physics background) and were all 3.1 or below, but I have since solidified myself on the fundamentals (as I shall prove on the Physics GRE). Unfortunately, my horrid freshman physics grades also carried over to both thermal and modern physics (since i also took those freshman year).

But after those courses, my physics GPA is in the 3.5-3.6 range. And my average GPA in astronomy courses is around 3.75.

So how should I list my physics grades on my personal statement? (I'm applying to astrophysics grad schools). My overall GPA is around 3.15 (horrid adolescent immaturity), but my GPA for my last two years will be around 3.6.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Usually "upper division" means anything that has as a prereq the basic sequence: in your case 121, 122 and 123.

Why do you want to list you grades in your personal statement, don't they already know that?
I think you should explain how you became more serious and how you improved your performance.

Okay thanks for all the replies so far.

Why do you want to list you grades in your personal statement, don't they already know that?

Lots of departments care *primarily* about upper-division grades (I've seen people list GPAs just for upper-division classes). If I had my major-only grade, I would not be competitive at all. But if I listed upper-division grades on my personal statement, I would be competitive. Honestly, I think it's the best metric since it weeds out freshman year immaturity, and the Physics GRE is a very good proxy for 1st-year physics knowledge in any case.

Besides, it can be explained in a few words anyways.

Simfish said:
Lots of departments care *primarily* about upper-division grades

Fine, but can't they calculate that GPA by themselves?

I think you need to think about what message you want to send.

If your college uses the typical 100, 200, 300, 400 level class numbering scheme, I'd say any 300 or 400 level classes would be considered upper level.

Fine, but can't they calculate that GPA by themselves?

I think you need to think about what message you want to send.

But do they calculate upper-division GPA? I thought they mostly took in major GPA.

The main message I want to send is just that I've done competently in physics after my freshman year.

If your college uses the typical 100, 200, 300, 400 level class numbering scheme, I'd say any 300 or 400 level classes would be considered upper level.

I would think so too. Although some colleges have weird numbering systems. My university's differential equations course, for example, is 300-level (there are no 200 level math courses there)

Simfish said:
So how should I list my physics grades on my personal statement? (I'm applying to astrophysics grad schools). My overall GPA is around 3.15 (horrid adolescent immaturity), but my GPA for my last two years will be around 3.6.

I thought one of the general rules of personal statement is to not discuss anything that the admission committee already has. For example, if you have already submitted your transcript, they can see that you did well in your upper-division courses despite the low major GPA. Mentioning this in your personal statement seems redundant.

Besides, if they actually wanted to know your upper division GPA, they will probably ask you for that.

I thought one of the general rules of personal statement is to not discuss anything that the admission committee already has. For example, if you have already submitted your transcript, they can see that you did well in your upper-division courses despite the low major GPA. Mentioning this in your personal statement seems redundant.

One of the general rules? Where did you find that rule? People might discuss their GPAs on their transcript to explain extenuating circumstances, for example (to convince the adcoms that the extenuating circumstances won't carry over into grad school).

Good point though

Simfish said:
One of the general rules? Where did you find that rule?

Scratch that; there really isn't a "rule." It's more of something I heard from my professors and http://www.statementofpurpose.com/" .

People might discuss their GPAs on their transcript to explain extenuating circumstances, for example (to convince the adcoms that the extenuating circumstances won't carry over into grad school).

That's actually a good thing; if you were going through a hard time in your college life that might have caused bad grades, it would be a good idea to explain that in your statement.

What shouldn't happen in your essay is something like "My GPA for upper division physics courses is x.xx, so take that!" or something that only shows the fact about your performance (I know you weren't going to do this, but it sounded like this might have happened). If you did well in one or more upper division math courses, you might want to discuss what you liked about that course, and maybe say something like you want to learn more about this and thus, you want to go to grad school in UW. It is okay to put some facts about yourself provided that you can elaborate on that (i.e. what can you say from those facts?).

That's my 2 cents. I'm pretty sure there are many better advices than this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What courses count as upper-division physics? (also, which GPAs to list)

1. What exactly does "upper-division physics" mean?

Upper-division physics refers to courses that are typically taken during the last two years of an undergraduate physics degree. These courses are more advanced and build upon the foundational concepts learned in lower-division physics courses.

2. Which specific courses are considered upper-division physics?

This can vary between institutions, but some common upper-division physics courses include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. Other courses may also be considered upper-division depending on the curriculum of the program.

3. Do all upper-division physics courses count towards my physics major?

Yes, all upper-division physics courses count towards a physics major. However, it is important to check with your specific institution and program requirements to ensure that you are taking the necessary courses for your degree.

4. Should I list my upper-division physics courses separately from my lower-division courses on my transcript?

It is recommended to list your upper-division physics courses separately on your transcript, as they demonstrate a higher level of understanding and proficiency in the subject. This can also be helpful for graduate school admissions or job applications.

5. Which GPAs should I list for my upper-division physics courses?

You should list both your overall GPA and your GPA for just your upper-division physics courses on your transcript. This will give a more accurate representation of your academic performance in the field of physics.