What career opportunities are available in physics for older individuals?

• Thread starter anothermike
  • Start date
In summary, there are numerous career opportunities available in physics for older individuals. These opportunities include research positions, teaching roles, consulting jobs, and industry positions in fields such as technology, engineering, healthcare, and energy. Additionally, there is a growing demand for physics experts in policy-making and government agencies. Older individuals can also pursue entrepreneurial ventures or become mentors and advisors in the field. With the increasing importance of technology and innovation, the demand for experienced physicists is expected to continue to grow.
anothermike
How did you find PF?
Google search for an old physics textbook brought be to a PF thread, and I was hooked
In a prior life, I was a top physics student working toward an undergraduate major in Physics. I completed my program but lost my sense of direction along the way, and I've been wandering with poor aim ever since. I launched my professional career in software technology related to computer animation, bounced around in engineering for a few years, then shifted gears to technical training and teaching. I now work primarily as a private STEM tutor.

I'm interested in getting involved with some USAPhO training and coaching, and possibly finding a way to bring more of my physics background into a renewed career focus. Seems like there aren't too many career opportunities in physics for us older folks, though. I miss the camaraderie and world view of those I knew back in the day.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I'm sure there's room for at least one more "Mike".

• Haha
Likes anothermike
Thanks @PeroK, much appreciated! I'm very happy to have found this community.

Likes PeroK