What Inspires a First-Year Physics Student to Pursue a Career in Academia?

• Thread starter leowebb
  • Start date
In summary, a first-year physics student is often inspired to pursue a career in academia by a combination of a passion for the subject, the desire for intellectual stimulation, and the opportunity to contribute to the field through research and teaching. The challenging and exciting nature of physics, as well as the potential for making groundbreaking discoveries and advancements, can be a major motivating factor for students to continue their studies and eventually aim for a career in academia. Additionally, the mentorship and guidance provided by professors and researchers in the academic setting can inspire students to follow in their footsteps and contribute to the field in their own unique way.
leowebb
How did you find PF?
Recommended by an article.
Hi, I’m Leo Webb, a first-year undergraduate Physics student at Magdalen College, University of Oxford. I’m from Hong Kong. I’m 18. I’m joining this website because I think I could learn a lot from the advice and experiences of people further in their career than me. I like the idea of expanding human knowledge bit by bit as a day job and so academia appeals to me, but I know that I’m pretty junior to be making any confident statements about what I will enjoy or do after my degree. I have a YouTube channel where I make some Maths, Physics, and other videos I don’t take too seriously. I find teaching really fun.

Likes PeroK, sysprog and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Leo. :smile:

Welcome aboard,@leowebb ##-##

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum.