What Are Your Tips for Self-Educating in Math and Programming?

• Thread starter TheArrow
  • Start date
In summary, my tips for self-educating in math and programming include setting specific goals, breaking down complex concepts into manageable chunks, practicing regularly, seeking out additional resources and support, and staying motivated through self-reflection and persistence. It's important to have a growth mindset and to continuously challenge yourself in order to improve your skills in these subjects. By being proactive and dedicated, anyone can successfully self-educate in math and programming.
TheArrow
How did you find PF?
Google a while back while searching for an aerospace engineering forum, lurked off and on, finally decided to join.
Hello everyone,

In terms of background, I'm largely self-educated (rather, self-directed would probably be more accurate) since I left high school early. I've spent the past year really grinding on learning math and programming after spending too long working a deadend job. I've completed pre-calculus and have started going through the Active Calculus textbook after it was recommended to me by an acquaintance. And I hope to enter into an aerospace engineering program once the lockdowns, etc. are finished. Personally I want to experience the collaboration and physically being around people with similar interests, so paying full price for Zoom calls doesn't really sit well with me. Plus this gives me time to make sure I'm up to speed on what I need to be up to speed on before going in.

I occasionally help out on the r/HomeworkHelp and r/LearnMath subreddits, but I've been distancing myself from that platform for a while. I still help others when I can on the r/HomeworkHelp Discord though, which is only fair because I've used them for a lot of help myself. I'm always willing to learn and do deep dives into subjects that interest me, and I'm glad that I've found a community that shares the same.

Anyways, thanks for having me.

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
TheArrow said:
How did you find PF?: Google a while back while searching for an aerospace engineering forum, lurked off and on, finally decided to join.

Hello everyone,

In terms of background, I'm largely self-educated (rather, self-directed would probably be more accurate) since I left high school early. I've spent the past year really grinding on learning math and programming after spending too long working a deadend job. I've completed pre-calculus and have started going through the Active Calculus textbook after it was recommended to me by an acquaintance. And I hope to enter into an aerospace engineering program once the lockdowns, etc. are finished. Personally I want to experience the collaboration and physically being around people with similar interests, so paying full price for Zoom calls doesn't really sit well with me. Plus this gives me time to make sure I'm up to speed on what I need to be up to speed on before going in.

I occasionally help out on the r/HomeworkHelp and r/LearnMath subreddits, but I've been distancing myself from that platform for a while. I still help others when I can on the r/HomeworkHelp Discord though, which is only fair because I've used them for a lot of help myself. I'm always willing to learn and do deep dives into subjects that interest me, and I'm glad that I've found a community that shares the same.

Anyways, thanks for having me.
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Arrow. Great to have you here. :wink:

Our homework help here is limited to giving hints and finding mistakes. More info about those rules under INFO at the top of the page.

Enjoy!

Likes WWGD
Hi new,
Welcome. I am new and improved. Maybe we're related?

WWGD said:
Hi new,
Welcome. I am new and improved. Maybe we're related?

I'd like to believe so. Appears to be an auspicious lineage.

Likes WWGD
Welcome, TheArrow! :cool: