What are the top programming languages and games for aspiring game developers?

• Thread starter Black_Majiks
  • Start date
In summary, the top programming languages for aspiring game developers include C++, C#, and Java, as these languages are widely used in the gaming industry and offer a variety of features and libraries for game development. As for games, Unity and Unreal Engine are popular choices for game development, as they provide powerful tools and resources for creating both 2D and 3D games. Other notable games for aspiring game developers to learn include JavaScript-based game engines like Phaser and PixiJS, as well as game development platforms like GameMaker Studio and RPG Maker. Ultimately, the best programming languages and games for aspiring game developers will depend on their specific interests and goals in game development.
Black_Majiks
I am an aspiring computer scientist, software developer, and game developer. I like to play video games and learn new things. My favorite programming language is C++, my favorite game is Dark Souls, and my favorite movie is probably "Tangled."

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Have you played with the Unity game engine? It's awesome for making cross-platform games and for working with the Oculus Rift.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Have you played with the Unity game engine? It's awesome for making cross-platform games and for working with the Oculus Rift.
No. Currently I'm undecided on an engine. I was considering beginning with SFML or Unreal

That oculus rift bit is about to sell me though. I want to make a VR puzzle

Unity has been gaining a lot of traction especially because you write the game once and you can generate versions for a lot of platforms.

I haven't tried only the Android and MacOSX platforms so far. We developed a simple game that showcased the rift by journeying through the Mariannas Trench using the Oculus. It was quite remarkable running on MacOSX. WE had to do some simple mods to get it to run on the Android due to hardware limitations.

Here's a comparison article showing pros and cons that I found that may help you decide:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/unity-udk-cryengine-game-engine-choose/

jedishrfu said:
Unity has been gaining a lot of traction especially because you write the game once and you can generate versions for a lot of platforms.

I haven't tried only the Android and MacOSX platforms so far. We developed a simple game that showcased the rift by journeying through the Mariannas Trench using the Oculus. It was quite remarkable running on MacOSX. WE had to do some simple mods to get it to run on the Android due to hardware limitations.

Here's a comparison article showing pros and cons that I found that may help you decide:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/unity-udk-cryengine-game-engine-choose/
checking it out now.

UE4 definitely

Just have to get Intermediate in OOP, finish my Android application, then I will jump into Game Dev. Can't wait. I really want to start now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are the top programming languages and games for aspiring game developers?

What are the top programming languages for aspiring game developers?

The top programming languages for aspiring game developers are C++, C#, Java, and Python. These languages are widely used in the game development industry and have a large community of developers who can provide support and resources.

What are the top games for aspiring game developers to learn from?

The top games for aspiring game developers to learn from are Minecraft, Super Mario Bros., and The Legend of Zelda. These games have simple mechanics and are great examples of successful game design.

What are the benefits of learning multiple programming languages for game development?

Learning multiple programming languages for game development can broaden your skill set and make you a more versatile developer. It also allows you to choose the best language for a specific project and gives you a better understanding of different game engines.

Which programming language is best for beginners in game development?

For beginners in game development, Python is often recommended as it has a simple syntax and is easy to learn. It is also used in popular game engines such as Unity and Unreal Engine.

What are some resources for aspiring game developers to learn programming languages?

Some resources for aspiring game developers to learn programming languages are online tutorials, video courses, and books. There are also many online communities and forums where you can ask for help and learn from experienced developers.