What are the top 3 hardest college majors for average students?

• Thread starter xdrgnh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of different academic majors and how it varies for each individual. Pure Math, Philosophy, and Physics are mentioned, with the group ultimately concluding that it is difficult to compare and rank majors as it depends on personal strengths and interests. In the end, the importance of becoming an expert in any field is highlighted.
xdrgnh
1. Pure Math
2. Philosophy
3. Physics

This list I believe is valid for someone that is average basically in math, science and critical thinking and doesn't particularly excel in anything as of starting the major. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

xdrgnh said:
2. Philosophy

No. Maybe if you're counting from the bottom.

You trying to say Philosophy is easy?

xdrgnh said:
2. Philosophy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Pre-meds have a tough life too you know. I also would add English majors because they are expected to write out quality essays (pages long) in a week and read tons of boring books that no one cares in the real world.

I'm not trying to say that they don't... English could be up there but not in the top 3. What makes Philosophy very hard is that it's very open ended.

How is Engineering not on this list?!

Because it's less abstract then those 3.

xdrgnh said:
Because it's less abstract then those 3.

What?? What is your major? I am curious

Physics, I want to go into Theoretical physics. Engineering is a applied subject.

xdrgnh said:
I'm not trying to say that they don't... English could be up there but not in the top 3. What makes Philosophy very hard is that it's very open ended.

Actually that's what makes it very easy.

Pengwuino said:
Actually that's what makes it very easy.

Go tell a Philosophy major that.

Listing these is rather pointless. It's going to be different for every individual. People in field A probably think that field A is the most difficult, lacking experience in field B. People in field B, likely feel that field B is the most difficult. I would suspect that the "most difficult major" for anyone person would be in whatever subject they like the least.

I personally think something like American History would be the worst.

I said in my description that the person is average in all academic area so he has no bias.

xdrgnh said:
I said in my description that the person is average in all academic area so he has no bias.

Oh sorry.

In that case Pure Math.

Ivan92 said:
How is Engineering not on this list?!
you are joking?

xdrgnh said:
Go tell a Philosophy major that.

I've talked to philosophy majors. I'm surprised a lot of them know how to make their own breakfast.

I see you have a masters in Physics. Try to answer the question that Physics answers without math. That's what Philosophy majors do in a certain sense.

They answer questions without using English?

xdrgnh said:
I see you have a masters in Physics. Try to answer the question that Physics answers without math. That's what Philosophy majors do in a certain sense.

Wow. Then I wonder how philosophers even get out of bed, let alone make breakfast.

It's very easy to describe physics without math. "If I drop a ball, it will fall".

Pengwuino said:
Wow. Then I wonder how philosophers even get out of bed, let alone make breakfast.

It's very easy to describe physics without math. "If I drop a ball, it will fall".
What's so special about you?

Last edited:

Pengwuino said:
I've talked to philosophy majors. I'm surprised a lot of them know how to make their own breakfast.

Oh ohhhh ohh this was so directed to me lol

I could've sworn Penguin is working on his masters atm.

Anyways, you can't beat mathematics if you want to start measuring things.

xdrgnh said:

Philosophers use logic. Isn't that a type of math?

This thread is becoming a massive p!ssing contest. This type of question has never produced a meaningful discussion in my experience.

Here comes the mathematician... I mean, he's just so above us all.

lol

Don't let the mathematician try to butt in! He probably couldn't solve low energy compton scattering! *chuckles*

Yes, I am saying Philosophy is easy. I know many philosophy majors and they all admit that it's very easy. They get straight A's with about 80% attendance.

Willowz said:
Here comes the mathematician... I mean, he's just so above us all.

lol

Pengwuino said:
Don't let the mathematician try to butt in! He probably couldn't solve low energy compton scattering! *chuckles*

I am far from being a mathematician. The honors linear algebra course I'm currently taking is the most advanced course I've experienced. In other words, I'm still a complete newb.

On what criteria are you basing "hardest"?

As far as work load goes, engineering, science, and math majors study far more then other majors (including philosophy). In fact, at my school it seems the standards of all the non engineering, science, and math are pathetically low. My 1 credit hour physics lab is probably ~3 times more work then my 4 credit hour macroeconomics class.

Additionally I find it easier to get high grades in my non technical courses (like humanities electives).

Although I still think the question is pointless. It is difficult to be "great" in any field.

Interestingly, Oxford have a variant of their degrees in Physics, Maths and Computer Science which has a Philosophy option. (note: in the UK, one must choose their major while applying)

You're all wrong. It goes like this;

1. Communications
2. Art
3. Guitar

LOLOLOL, philosophy the second hardest major? You serious :biggrin:

In my opinion, these are the hardest majors:

1) physics
2) engineering
3) medicine

Willowz said:
Anyways, you can't beat mathematics if you want to start measuring things.

I dunno, I'm studying mathematics and I'd say I've learned you CAN'T measure things. That's why I bury my head in number theory. Nothing to strain my sense of reality there. Just shuffle numbers and variables around and see what pops up. ;)

Yeah, you can't beat math in measurements. Maybe because it's the 'medium' in which the measurements can be carried out.

Anything that needs a lot of chemistry in it is a tough major.