What Are the Best Textbooks for Fourth Year MPhys Modules?

In summary, the speaker is looking for textbook recommendations for their upcoming modules, including Quantum Fluids, Applied Solid State Physics, Quantum Information and Technology, Quantum Modelling Of Solids, Molecules and Nanostructures, and General Relativity. They have received suggestions for books on General Relativity, but are still seeking recommendations for the other modules. They mention difficulties in obtaining information about the courses and books required, but suggest using Amazon to find related books and reviews. They also mention that someone in the Physics Department may have information about the courses and books.
CMJ96
Hello,
I will be starting the 4th year of my Mphys soon, and I'd like to get a little bit of a head start on the topics that are going to be taught, can anyone recommend me any decent textbooks for the following modules? (I will insert images of the syllabus for each module if that helps)
1. Quantum Fluids
x60Y2VF.png

2. Applied Solid State Physics
hHLL2W6.png

3. Quantum Information and Technology
hx9Qs03.png

4. Quantum Modelling Of Solids, Molecules and Nanostructures
Js192E3.png

5. General Relativity
bGG7rcW.png

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, as I do not know who will be teaching these modules yet so I cannot get any help from them.

Attachments

• x60Y2VF.png
    x60Y2VF.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 691
  • hHLL2W6.png
    hHLL2W6.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 664
  • hx9Qs03.png
    hx9Qs03.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 708
  • Js192E3.png
    Js192E3.png
    14 KB · Views: 684
  • bGG7rcW.png
    bGG7rcW.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
For General Relativity, there's these books:

A Zee: Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell

This book is considered very hard. I've heard people often get bogged down after the first ten pages or so beware as here there be dragons.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/069114558X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Wheeler, Misner, Thorne: Gravitation (republished 2017 following the Interstellar movie)

Kip Thorne said in the republished preface that the first 22 chapters are still valid for today's General Relativity course, later chapters of GR applications and extensions to cosmology are dated and he hopes to rewrite them someday.

You can read the 2017 preface on Amazon to see if the topics you're interested are still good or not. This is a classic book and very weighty (no really its heavy).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691177791/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A Zee has a book on Quantum Field Theory too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691140340/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but I can't comment on it. Perhaps you can check it out and look at some of the comments.

Thanks for the suggestions! Einstein Gravity in a nutshell does look pretty intense! Interesting though :)

Can anyone recommend any books for the other modules? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Perhaps you can find other books by finding what books the course requires and then using amazon to check prices. Amazon will show other books that folks have pfiously bought that are related to the course books and of course you get some book reviews to consider too to help you decide.

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps you can find other books by finding what books the course requires and then using amazon to check prices. Amazon will show other books that folks have pfiously bought that are related to the course books and of course you get some book reviews to consider too to help you decide.
Unfortunately, because I'm in the first year of Physics students at my university, the course isn't fully organised yet, so we haven't been given any information such as books or any information regarding what members of staff are teaching it so I can't access anything like that

CMJ96 said:
Unfortunately, because I'm in the first year of Physics students at my university, the course isn't fully organised yet, so we haven't been given any information such as books or any information regarding what members of staff are teaching it so I can't access anything like that

Someone in the Physics Department must know who's teaching it and from there the books, right?

Related to What Are the Best Textbooks for Fourth Year MPhys Modules?

1. What topics are typically covered in fourth year textbooks?

The topics covered in fourth year textbooks can vary depending on the subject, but some common topics include advanced mathematics, literature, history, science, and foreign language. These textbooks are designed to prepare students for higher education or careers in their chosen field.

2. Are fourth year textbooks significantly different from previous years?

Yes, fourth year textbooks tend to be more advanced and specialized compared to previous years. They often require a higher level of critical thinking and independent learning.

3. Are fourth year textbooks necessary for academic success?

While textbooks can be a valuable resource for learning, they are not the only factor in achieving academic success. It is important for students to actively engage with the material and seek additional resources for a well-rounded education.

4. Can fourth year textbooks be used in other academic levels?

Some fourth year textbooks may be suitable for use in lower academic levels, depending on the subject and curriculum. However, it is always best to consult with a teacher or academic advisor before using a fourth year textbook in a different level.

5. Is it possible to find digital versions of fourth year textbooks?

Yes, many textbooks now offer digital versions for purchase or download. These can often be more convenient and cost-effective for students, but it is important to make sure the digital version includes all necessary content and materials.