What are some recommended reading materials for studying physics independently?

• Thread starter Darthkostis
  • Start date
In summary, a new member named Darthkostis has joined the forum and is looking to get to know the community and how the forum works. They are a 16-year-old from Greece with a passion for collector's items, comics, video games, and physics. They have a great memory and excel in school, but are limited in opportunities due to their location. They are currently studying advanced subjects like thermodynamics, electric and magnetic fields, and advanced calculus. They are also self-studying various topics in quantum physics, mechanics, and theories on black holes and spacetime. They are looking for recommendations on reading material and are excited to be a part of the forum.
Darthkostis
Good morning (or evening, depending on where you currently reside) people of this forum (or you know, people who take the time to read this)! I have JUST joined this place and decided that it'd be quite nice to start this thread so that can get to know me, I can get to know how this place works and all that stuff.

Let's start with the basics. I am from Greece, 16 years old and a big, big BIG fan of collector's items, comics, video games and well, physics! I browsed around a bit and from what I have seen you are a quite intelligent lot, something I admire.

Since I was little I could remember every single little detail so this made things quite easier for me at school. But here being Greece, I could never get an IQ test or skip a few classes or anything like that. Anyway, fast forward to the present I can say that things have started to tighten up as I have around 200 exercises per week (and not the one line answer ones, I'm talking about the one-two page problems with diagrams and all that) along with close to 10 hours of school everyday. It's quite tiring I have to say but we study quite a lot of subjects such as thermodynamics, the electric and magnetic fields, advanced calculus and all that stuff. Though you can't really select the subjects you want, only a direction which is an EXTRA of three subjects, which is quite a bummer.

It's a nice selection but I am trying to study by myself, often reading various books on Quantum Physics, Mechanics, theories on black holes, dark matter and especially spacetime and time. Thing is, with me not being familiar with such concepts from school and english not being my first language I often have to look up various terms which proves to be quite frustrating.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'd greatly appreciate it if you could reccomend me some reading material and that I'm really happy to be here!

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start reading this, just in case.

If it makes me look like a grumpy, old fart, that's just because I am one
grumpy_borek.png

Once you are done with the rules, report back and state your favorite fish.

Just don't say it is Megalodon, it becomes boring.

Related to What are some recommended reading materials for studying physics independently?

What are some recommended reading materials for studying physics independently?

1. What are some popular textbooks for studying physics on my own?

2. Are there any online resources or eBooks available for self-studying physics?

3. Can you recommend any supplemental reading materials to enhance my understanding of physics?

4. Are there any specific physics topics or concepts that I should focus on when studying independently?

5. How can I make the most out of self-studying physics with the recommended reading materials?