What are Katelyn's favorite hobbies and interests?

• Thread starter Katelyn
  • Start date
In summary, Katelyn's favorite hobbies and interests include hiking, painting, and playing the guitar. She loves spending time outdoors and immersing herself in nature while hiking. Painting is a creative outlet for her, and she enjoys experimenting with different techniques and mediums. Playing the guitar allows her to express herself through music and is a relaxing and enjoyable pastime for her. Overall, Katelyn's hobbies and interests are diverse and reflect her love for both the outdoors and the arts.
Katelyn
Hi!

My name is Katelyn and I am currently a senior in high school. I live in Minnesota and I am taking full time college courses through the PSEO (Post-Secondary Education Opportunity) program. I go to my local college every day for on-campus classes and I also take a few classes online.

To get to know me better, here are some of my favorite hobbies:

Music is one of my favorite things in the world. I've been playing piano since I was 5 and this year I just started teaching lessons. I also have been playing clarinet since 7th grade and now am first chair in my local college's woodwind ensemble. I also play ukulele from time to time and even dabble in singing.

Running is another favorite! I am a 100 and 200 meter sprinter for my high school's track team. During the off-season, I am a pretty casual runner. I mainly enjoy running with friends outside on trails. I also do a lot of yoga and Pilates for cross-training and flexibility work.

I also love art. I do a lot of photography in my free time or whenever inspiration strikes (which is usually when I am supposed to be doing my homework, hehe). I also enjoy drawing, which I am not able to do as often but still love nonetheless.

Whenever I'm not doing school or working on a hobby, I am playing with my guinea pigs, watching political debates, or doing physics.

Although I have a lot of interests, physics is the lens through which I can see the world. I don't feel as connected to other people, and the way others think is almost always the opposite way which I think. This is my biggest weakness, but I think it is also my best quality. I think a lot of people in physics understand this and have similar thoughts, because we are more math-minded people. We analyze data, we don't see the world through just emotions and human reaction. We see the world more through a focus on nature; how things move and work.

When I discovered physics and astronomy as a 7 year old, I already knew that I wanted to be a scientist. I was always asking my parents questions about everything. I would wonder about DNA, the solar system, brainwaves, and molecules. I loved it. At 7 years old my grandma gave me a national geographic magazine for kids, which had an article about astronomy. I instantly fell in love and from then on I have dreamed of being an astrophysicist for NASA. I am now taking my second college-level physics class and I can't get enough of it.

My hope is that I can meet more people like me who are passionate about science and will never stop wondering about the mysteries of the universe.

I'm excited to meet you all!
-Katelyn

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum Katelyn!

Likes Katelyn
Katelyn said:
Although I have a lot of interests, physics is the lens through which I can see the world.
Beautiful sentiment. Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Hi you Katelyn

welcome to the Physics Forums

enjoy your stay :smile:

Dave