What are Dr. Griffin's degrees and educational background?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, Michael Griffin is an accomplished physicist and educator who has held several positions at NASA. His wife started a petition for him to stay at NASA, but he has since resigned.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
or What to do after a BS in Physics.

Education - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Griffin

Dr. Griffin holds seven degrees, and is pursuing his eighth. In chronological order of attainment, Dr. Griffin's degrees include:

Code:
Degree Year    Academic field                       University
BS     1971    Physics                              Johns Hopkins University              
MS     1974    Aerospace Science                    The Catholic University of America    
PhD    1977    Aerospace Engineering                University of Maryland, College Park  
MEng   1979    Electrical Engineering               University of Southern California     
MS     1983    Applied Physics                      Johns Hopkins University              
MBA            Master of Business Administration    Loyola College in Maryland  
MEng   1998    Civil Engineering                    The George Washington University

Dr. Griffin was also working toward an MS in computer science at Johns Hopkins University before being appointed as NASA chief. He has worked at the Jet Propulsion Lab and APL. Dr. Griffin has been a professor at various universities, teaching courses in spacecraft design, applied mathematics, guidance and navigation, compressible flow, computational fluid dynamics, spacecraft altitude control, astrodynamics, and introductory aerospace engineering. He is the lead author of more than two dozen technical papers, and is co-author with James R. French of the graduate astronautical engineering textbook, "Space Vehicle Design." ISBN 1-56347-539-1 Dr. Griffin is also a general aviation flight instructor and pilot, and part-owner of a small airplane.

Dr. Griffin official bio - http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/griffin_bio.html

Work diligently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Three comments:

1) Why would you go back and get degrees in related fields after getting a Ph.D.? (i.e. I can understand the MBA... but why the MS degrees in other fields of engineering?) I understand they are in different fields of engineering... but still... it seems mildly cheap.

2) Isn't this the same guy whose wife started a petition for him to stay as NASA chief? (Sweet. Did he try to keep taking classes to avoid his home life?)

3) I'm still mildly peeved that my sister (with two BS's, an MS, a Ph.D. and an MD) has 1 more degree than me (note only my BS and Ph.D. are in the same field... physics, I have intermediate degrees in engineering and education... so I think I'm not double-dipping in the same field too much). I should have taken that one dumb 500-level introductory math methods course I skipped in my Ph.D. program; it was required for the meaningless intermediate master's in physics (but not the Ph.D.), and it would have tied me with her! Should I go get a law degree? Probably. If not for the esteem then for the $$$. I'll wait til we settle ourselves at some uni with a good program and good tuition waivers for spouses.

Wow...

Are these type of people super geniuses that get paid to go to college?

Jammin_James said:
Are these type of people super geniuses that get paid to go to college?

It's actually a form of mental illness.

(I say that as someone with a mild case... I'll get my fourth degree this spring.)

physics girl phd said:
2) Isn't this the same guy whose wife started a petition for him to stay as NASA chief? (Sweet. Did he try to keep taking classes to avoid his home life?).
I believe it was a colleague who started the petition, but apparenly Griffin's wife has asked Obama to retain her husband.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/KeepMike/index.html
Apparently the petition was started by Scott "Doc" Horowitz

You know, I've always thought that after I get my physics PhD, I might just avoid the real world by going to med school after bouncing around in a couple of postdocs. Now I have a role model!

He went to some pretty hardcore Catholic universities.

streeters said:
He went to some pretty hardcore Catholic universities.

So I guess there's not just a Protestant work ethic, eh? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
He is the lead author of more than two dozen technical papers,

Work diligently.

For his age that is not that many papers. I am assuming he's slightly above 24 pubs. He doesn't have any focus. Going to get another MEng is like playing an rpg all over after you beat it, I don't see the point.

Maybe the guy just has a desire for knowledge. Perhaps it is his hobby.

CS

stewartcs said:

CS

Perhaps, but once you have earned that Ph.D. you should be able to learn anything you want by self-study.

Redbelly98 said:
Perhaps, but once you have earned that Ph.D. you should be able to learn anything you want by self-study.
I agree. I thought the point of a PhD was to show specialization in a field you hopefully would work in therefore it makes sense for universities to provide grants for study. Somebody should calculate the amount of grant money that must have been used in the process of granting that many degrees.

3) I'm still mildly peeved that my sister (with two BS's, an MS, a Ph.D. and an MD)

Please tell me she got double credit for most of that coursework/research between the PhD and MD

Redbelly98 said:

Who says you need a Ph.D to learn by self-study?

CS

j93 said:
I agree. I thought the point of a PhD was to show specialization in a field you hopefully would work in therefore it makes sense for universities to provide grants for study. Somebody should calculate the amount of grant money that must have been used in the process of granting that many degrees.

How do you know he received a grant?

CS

stewartcs said:
Who says you need a Ph.D to learn by self-study?

CS

Nobody that I'm aware of. It's not necessary, but it is sufficient.

stewartcs said:
How do you know he received a grant?

CS
I would hope he received some type of funding that wasnt loans. Unless he used loans to pay somebody was investing with either the intent of creating a new professional in the field that is granting the advanced degree or I guess in this case to get exposure by being another notch for this person but in the latter case universities should just award more honorary degrees if they want exposure.

Redbelly98 said:
Perhaps, but it's still easier to do it in a classroom setting. It imposes a certain discipline and keeps you making steady progress. On your own, it's too easy to get bogged down on one detail or another at the expense of the larger picture.

Well, I have noticed Dr.Griffin education background years ago...
There's one thing I can't get it.. what is the currently Guinness World Records for "who held the most academic titles"?

TMFKAN64 said:
Perhaps, but it's still easier to do it in a classroom setting. It imposes a certain discipline and keeps you making steady progress. On your own, it's too easy to get bogged down on one detail or another at the expense of the larger picture.

Plus you have an official record of your accomplishment.

CS

stewartcs said:
CS

If this were true, there would be no need for an official record.

Redbelly98 said:
If this were true, there would be no need for an official record.

I didn't imply there was a need for an official record for a hobby or desire. There is no causal relationship between the two. He doesn't necessarily need an official record for a hobby or desire to learn. However, one may certainly be obtained during his education.

CS

Last edited:
Mihael said:
Well, I have noticed Dr.Griffin education background years ago...
There's one thing I can't get it.. what is the currently Guinness World Records for "who held the most academic titles"?

This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_M._Hesburgh

He was a professor and priest at University of Notre Dame.
Over 150 degrees (most of them honorary).

streeters said:
This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_M._Hesburgh

He was a professor and priest at University of Notre Dame.
Over 150 degrees (most of them honorary).

:eek:
How many degrees is enough?
Answer: You should get enough >150 degrees to break that awesome record!

stewartcs said:

CS

Redbelly98 said:

while self study is efficient it is much more enjoyable to study while in a formal class.

ice109 said:
while self study is efficient it is much more enjoyable to study while in a formal class.
Thats a matter of opinion. Your also assuming people on the board love socializing/interacting within larger groups .

But the fact that he holds that opinion proves that there's a possibility that the guy with the degrees holds it as well.

uman said:
proves that there's a possibility
Prove a possibility??

Yes.

Don't you think the statements "someone holds belief x", "belief x exists", and "given a person y, there is a theoretical possibility that y holds belief x" are equivalent?

what is a "theoretical possibility"?

What an appalling waste of time on getting degrees. So, he's read a bunch of books, and wrote some papers.

Why is this impressive? What significant research has he actually done? What industry projects has he actually made?

This is a good example of what NOT to do.

Why would you get a PhD in aerospace and then get an MSc in Civil engineering? Do you plan on making a sky scraper fly?

Likes Niflheim
my plan:

1) about to get my BS in Physics
2) MS in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (control theory or computer engineering probably)
3) Biomedical Optics Engineering degree
4) PhD in Optics / Applied Optics / Applied Quantum - something like that.

OR

stop at 2) and go into renewable energies career

Cyrus said:
Why would you get a PhD in aerospace and then get an MSc in Civil engineering? Do you plan on making a sky scraper fly?
haha. A thread on the possibilities could be made.

Maybe he's more ambitious than I give credit for and wants to put it into orbit?

Last edited:
maybe he wants to build the first commercial docking bay for a space station on the moon