Peer online degree programs, No in-person class -- Good idea?

In summary, the individual is seeking information about online degree programs in the STEM field and asks for recommendations. They are currently in the military and want to continue their education while serving. They mention their interest in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science, but have not found many reputable programs that offer a fully online approach. They also mention their AAS in Avionic Systems Technology and their desire to use some of those credits towards a BS. The conversation also includes some suggestions to take classes at a local community college and transfer credits to a university.
AKing2713
Hello all, I just had a few questions about online degree programs and was wondering if they can be done/are worth it. First let me explain my situation as to why I want to do online school as opposed to a brick-and-mortar school.

I'm currently in the military and as you can imagine its pretty hectic not being in one place for very long. I'm generally deployed 6 months out of the year with occasional out of country trips while I'm state side. I currently just signed up for another 4 years and want to make the most of it by going to college while doing my job. However I really don't want to have to deal with going to a physical class while I home. That being said I was wondering if there were any degree programs in the STEM field that can be done solely online from a reputable school.

In the military my job is fixing jets(avionics and electronic warfare to be exact) and I want to continue doing what I am doing now once I leave the military. Either that or something similar(jets, spacecraft , etc) so I am looking for a degree that would help me in that field. I currently have an AAS in Avionic Systems Technology that I got from the military's community college(Basically, when you get trained for your job in the military; depending on how long/difficult it is, you are awarded with college credits. These credits can then be turned into a AAS in my case if I get the gen eds out of the way). So I hope to use some of these credits to put towards a BS.

Some degrees that currently interest me are Aerospace or Electrical engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Pretty much any of these I would find interesting enough to peruse a degree in. I just haven't seen a lot of programs out there that offer a peer online approach to these sorts of subjects(or there are some but they don't offer a lot of confidence when it comes to the quality of the degree program.)

tl;dr Are there any good peer online STEM degree programs and can anyone recommend some?

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
AKing2713 said:
Hello all, I just had a few questions about online degree programs and was wondering if they can be done/are worth it. First let me explain my situation as to why I want to do online school as opposed to a brick-and-mortar school.

I'm currently in the military and as you can imagine its pretty hectic not being in one place for very long. I'm generally deployed 6 months out of the year with occasional out of country trips while I'm state side. I currently just signed up for another 4 years and want to make the most of it by going to college while doing my job. However I really don't want to have to deal with going to a physical class while I home. That being said I was wondering if there were any degree programs in the STEM field that can be done solely online from a reputable school.

In the military my job is fixing jets(avionics and electronic warfare to be exact) and I want to continue doing what I am doing now once I leave the military. Either that or something similar(jets, spacecraft , etc) so I am looking for a degree that would help me in that field. I currently have an AAS in Avionic Systems Technology that I got from the military's community college(Basically, when you get trained for your job in the military; depending on how long/difficult it is, you are awarded with college credits. These credits can then be turned into a AAS in my case if I get the gen eds out of the way). So I hope to use some of these credits to put towards a BS.

Some degrees that currently interest me are Aerospace or Electrical engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Pretty much any of these I would find interesting enough to peruse a degree in. I just haven't seen a lot of programs out there that offer a peer online approach to these sorts of subjects(or there are some but they don't offer a lot of confidence when it comes to the quality of the degree program.)

tl;dr Are there any good peer online STEM degree programs and can anyone recommend some?

Thanks for reading!

Are any online degrees worth it in the listed areas? Probably not, you can do a forum search and read some of the other discussions on the subject to see what I mean.

You don't have an associate degree, military training credit suggested on the smart, or whatever they call it these days, is rarely articulated at any school worth going to.

I recommend you take classes at a local community college where ever you're stationed, then when you end your enlistment you transfer those credits to a university.

Student100 said:
Are any online degrees worth it in the listed areas? Probably not, you can do a forum search and read some of the other discussions on the subject to see what I mean.

Im guessing others have asked this question before and you are trying to say, no, there are no online degrees worth a crap? Because that would of been a bit more helpful.

Student100 said:
You don't have an associate degree, military training credit suggested on the smart, or whatever they call it these days, is rarely articulated at any school worth going to.

Sweet thanks for that insight bro!

Student100 said:
I recommend you take classes at a local community college where ever you're stationed, then when you end your enlistment you transfer those credits to a university.

Ya, but you missed the part where I said I want to do the exact oppisite of what you are suggesting. But thanks anyways.

Anyone else have some insight?

AKing2713 said:
Im guessing others have asked this question before and you are trying to say, no, there are no online degrees worth a crap? Because that would of been a bit more helpful.

All online degrees are crap, is this explicit enough?

Sweet thanks for that insight bro!

Glad we cleared that up. Sarcasm aside, I was also in the miltary and have experience in this matter. So you can believe me, or choose to answer with sarcasm - your choice.

Ya, but you missed the part where I said I want to do the exact oppisite of what you are suggesting. But thanks anyways.

Anyone else have some insight?

Yeah, but you missed the part were there is no good alternative.

Related to Peer online degree programs, No in-person class -- Good idea?

1. What are the benefits of enrolling in a peer online degree program with no in-person classes?

One of the main benefits of enrolling in a peer online degree program with no in-person classes is the flexibility it offers. Students can complete coursework and attend lectures at their own pace and from the comfort of their own home. This option also allows for more convenience, as students do not have to commute to a physical campus.

2. How do peer online degree programs with no in-person classes ensure the same level of education as traditional programs?

Peer online degree programs with no in-person classes often use the same curriculum and materials as their traditional counterparts. Additionally, these programs may have virtual classrooms, interactive learning tools, and online resources to facilitate the learning process. They also have the same accreditation and quality assurance standards as traditional programs.

3. Are there any drawbacks to enrolling in a peer online degree program with no in-person classes?

One potential drawback is the lack of face-to-face interaction with professors and peers, which may be necessary for some individuals to fully grasp certain concepts. Additionally, some students may find it challenging to stay motivated and organized without the structure of in-person classes.

4. How can I ensure that the peer online degree program I choose is legitimate and reputable?

It is crucial to do thorough research on the program and institution before enrolling. Look for accreditation from recognized accrediting bodies and read reviews from current and former students. You can also reach out to the institution directly to ask about their accreditation, program offerings, and success rates of their graduates.

5. Will a peer online degree program with no in-person classes be recognized by employers?

Many employers now recognize and value online degrees as they have become more prevalent in recent years. However, it is still essential to ensure that the program and institution have proper accreditation and a good reputation. It may also be helpful to highlight any unique skills and experiences gained through your online education during job interviews.