Water Supply Reliability Modeling assignment + datasheet

In summary, @shemsuni was able to figure out how to solve the assignment, but was not able to do it in the time given.
shemsuni
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I am taking a my first water management course and I need your help getting through my first Water Supply Reliability Modeling assignment. It involves a data set that I must manipulate and a problem set. I am not a civil engineer, so I do not know where to start with this.

The only hint I have : I will need to create an If , If, else statement with data set in excel

Here is a link to the assignment : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OWrnzbxPVsaL5KtNnxglMEPKlgwXDwVNVOVEfiXxsUk/edit?usp=sharing

and here is the excel data set: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t_HVQOXPQ4XF8dXfzbuaLaMIiiYwqzZpfKDKLrf9QXI/edit?usp=sharing

Can any of you help me?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
shemsuni said:
I do not know where to start with this.

Break the problem down into small chunks. I suggest making a hand sketch of reservoir level for one year, using data for anyone year from the data set. Then repeat for a year with high inflow, and a year with low inflow. Then add in one variable at a time until you are able to solve the entire problem.

shemsuni said:
I am taking a my first water management course and I need your help getting through my first Water Supply Reliability Modeling assignment. It involves a data set that I must manipulate and a problem set. I am not a civil engineer, so I do not know where to start with this.

The only hint I have : I will need to create an If , If, else statement with data set in excel

Here is a link to the assignment : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OWrnzbxPVsaL5KtNnxglMEPKlgwXDwVNVOVEfiXxsUk/edit?usp=sharing

and here is the excel data set: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t_HVQOXPQ4XF8dXfzbuaLaMIiiYwqzZpfKDKLrf9QXI/edit?usp=sharing

Can any of you help me?

Thank you!
Looks like the assignment was due today. @shemsuni -- were you able to figure it out?

Also, this is a pretty funny acronym from the assignment, at least when it is used in the context of water quality... :biggrin:
(Make reservoir release decisions using the Standard Linear Operating Policy, SLOP.)

Related to Water Supply Reliability Modeling assignment + datasheet

1. What is water supply reliability modeling and why is it important?

Water supply reliability modeling is a method used by scientists and engineers to predict and evaluate the availability of water resources. It involves analyzing data and using computer models to estimate the likelihood of meeting future water demands in a given area. This is important because it helps decision-makers plan for potential water shortages and develop strategies to ensure a dependable supply of water for various uses, such as drinking, irrigation, and industry.

2. How is water supply reliability modeling different from traditional water resource management?

Traditional water resource management relies on historical data and past trends to make decisions about water usage. Water supply reliability modeling, on the other hand, takes into account future conditions and uncertainties, such as population growth, climate change, and infrastructure changes. It also uses advanced modeling techniques to provide more accurate and comprehensive assessments of water supply reliability.

3. What are the key components of a water supply reliability model?

The key components of a water supply reliability model include data on water sources and demands, climate and hydrological data, infrastructure and storage capacity, and various scenarios and assumptions. The model also incorporates uncertainties and risk factors to provide a more realistic assessment of water supply reliability.

4. How is the accuracy of a water supply reliability model evaluated?

The accuracy of a water supply reliability model is evaluated by comparing its predictions to historical data and actual water supply outcomes. The model can also be tested using different scenarios to see how it performs under different conditions. Additionally, peer review and validation by other scientists and experts in the field can help ensure the accuracy of the model.

5. How can the results of water supply reliability modeling be used in decision-making?

The results of water supply reliability modeling can be used to inform and guide decision-making processes related to water resource management. This could include identifying potential areas of risk and developing strategies to mitigate them, evaluating the effectiveness of different water management policies and practices, and planning for future water infrastructure needs. Ultimately, the goal is to use the insights gained from the model to make more informed and sustainable decisions about water resources.