Solving a Challenging Math Problem | Expert Tips & Strategies

• MHB
  • Thread starter math123456
  • Start date
In summary, the problem described in the conversation is finding the coordinates of the upper left corner of a rectangle that fits inside a reduced ellipse, where the original rectangle has a width of "w" and a height of "h" and the reduced ellipse has semi-axes of length "pw/2" and "ph/2". The coordinates must satisfy the equation of the ellipse, which is given by \frac{x^2}{\left(\frac{pw}{2}\right)^2}+ \frac{y^2}{\left(\frac{ph}{2}\right)^2}= 1.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take the original rectangle to have width "w" and height "h". Then the "reduced" ellipse has axe of length pw and ph, semi-axes pw/2 and ph/2, and is given by the equation [tex]\frac{x^2}{\left(\frac{pw}{2}\right)^2}+ \frac{y^2}{\left(\frac{ph}{2}\right)^2}= \frac{4x^2}{p^2w^2}+ \frac{4y^2}{p^2h^2}= 1[/tex].

Now, we have a rectangle Bwa by Bha that fits inside that reduced ellipse. Setting up a coordinate system with origin at the center of the ellipse, coordinate axes along the axes of the ellipse. In that coordinate system, the upper left corner of the rectangle has coordinates (Bwa/2, Bha/2) and, since that corner lies on the ellipse, must satisfy the equation of the ellipse. That is, we must have [tex]\frac{Bwa^2}{p^2w^2}+ \frac{Bha^2}{p^2h^2}= 1[/tex]

Related to Solving a Challenging Math Problem | Expert Tips & Strategies

1. How do I approach a challenging math problem?

There are a few key steps you can follow to approach a challenging math problem. First, make sure you understand the problem and what is being asked. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, use any relevant formulas or equations to help you solve the problem. Don't be afraid to try different strategies or methods if your initial approach isn't working. And finally, always double check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills in math is to practice regularly. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with different strategies and techniques. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to get feedback and learn from others. Additionally, try to approach each problem with a positive and open mindset, and don't be afraid to make mistakes - they are an important part of the learning process.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a challenging math problem?

If you find yourself stuck on a challenging math problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. Look for patterns or connections that may help you solve the problem. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or working backwards from the answer. If you still can't solve the problem, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

4. How can I check if my answer to a challenging math problem is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your answer to a challenging math problem is correct. First, you can plug your answer back into the original problem to see if it works. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same answer. Another option is to use online resources or a calculator to check your work. Lastly, it's always a good idea to have someone else, like a teacher or classmate, check your answer and provide feedback.

5. How can I stay motivated when working on challenging math problems?

Solving challenging math problems can be frustrating and time-consuming, but it's important to stay motivated and persevere. One way to do this is to break the problem down into smaller, achievable goals and celebrate each small success along the way. You can also try taking breaks and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Lastly, remind yourself of the importance and value of solving challenging problems - it can help improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many areas of life.