Issue with shift registers — PIPO, PISO, SIPO and SISO

In summary: I think what the circuit is doing is just mirroring the data. Am I right?In summary, the proposed circuits in class don't seem to be shift registers in the strict sense, as they do not have a storage option. The controlled shift register does have a storage option, but it is not always possible. The buffer register doesn't seem to be a good option either, as it can't store the data. The proposed PISO circuit does have a storage option, but it is not clear how it works.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
N/A
Relevant Equations
N/A
We are currently constructing shift registers in our practicals, and I am facing an issue with the circuits. Posting this in the homework section because it arose out of college (thus, coursework).

We have to construct four types of (4-bit) shift registers — SISO, SIPO, PISO and PIPO. I feel that the circuits that are being proposed in college, though simpler than the ones I think are correct, are not actually shift registers in the strict sense of the term.

I think there are two parts to a shift register: 1. It is a register, so there should be a way to store data in it, and 2. When not storing, it should shift the stored bits either left or right. These two are required together to make a shift register. Am I correct in saying this?

We built this circuit first:

SISO.png

This works as long as the microprocessor is reading the data the moment it has been fed completely. (After four clock pulses, the given four bits are completely loaded into the register. But no one is stopping the clock, so the shifting will continue. The microprocessor isn't expected to keep feeding the data, and the input will subsequently go LOW after the data has been fed. Therefore, from the fifth clock pulse onwards, the stored data will be lost, unless the μC starts reading it at the fourth clock pulse.) There's no "storage" option in it.

Our Prof. told us to build the controlled shift register next:

SISO_controlled.png

In this circuit, if I set HOLD to LOW, the output will be fed back, and thus, and the register will be able to store the fed data. This circuit, as far as I can see, works as both SISO and SIPO — if I set HOLD to LOW, it will work as storage, so I will be able to parallelly read the output lines Q3Q2Q1Q0 in this state (thus, SIPO). If I set HOLD to HIGH, the bits will shift, and I will be able to read the stored word through Q3 – thus, SISO. Am I correct in this evaluation?

Some websites, on the other hand, have given a simpler model than this:

sequential-seq15.gif

I think, however, this will not work as SIPO in a real life scenario. My understanding is, reading the data parallelly means I can read the complete word at one go, and that cannot happen unless I store the data in some way. Yes, I can probably read the data parallelly after the fourth clock pulse (between fourth and fifth clock pulse?) when the register has the full word stored for a moment before it starts to get lost from the fifth clock pulse. But how is that even helpful? I store the data, and read it off immediately?

This is where things are starting to get messy. In our lab, we construct the clock edge with a 2-way switch + debouncer. Thus, we can control the clock. So, my classmates are contradicting me by stating that we can always decide not to supply the clock pulse, and thus, the data will be stored indefinitely even if we put the input to LOW after the fourth clock pulse. But in a real life scenario, I cannot control the clock, so I have to have feedback to store the data, and without that, I cannot read parallelly. Am I going wrong somewhere?

The real messy part is when parallel input comes into play. The book that we are following gives the following circuit:

1683568002671.png

Though huge, this circuit can be made to work in all the four ways (in my opinion):

LOAD​
SHL​
Mode of operation​
0​
0​
Hold / No change (⇒ parallel read possible)​
0​
1​
Shift left (serial out + serial in)​
1​
0​
Buffer register (parallel in through X's)​
1​
1​
Forbidden​

This circuit is difficult to be implemented in practice using basic gates, so the following circuit was proposed in class:

sequential-seq24.gif

This is a buffer register and not really a shift register because there is no way the contents can shift in any direction. This is being proposed as the PIPO — parallel in, parallel out type. However, the flaw, in my opinion, is that this thing can't store. The μC will simply change the input lines once the word has been supplied to the register and one clock edge has gone (otherwise, what's the use of using a storage element?). Hence, everything that was stored will be literally lost at the next clock edge. To really store, we need a control, like the circuit below:

1683569119208.png

Here, the data will be stored if I put LOAD to LOW, and hence, parallel input (LOAD = 1) as well as parallel output (with LOAD = 0) will be possible. This can work as a PIPO register.

But serial output will not be possible.

What about PISO then? For serial output, shifting is required somehow. I came across this circuit:

FIL.jpg

I don't see how this circuit will work as PISO. Yes, it can read the data parallelly with Shift = 0 and write serially with Shift = 1. But I have only two options — either shift the data, or read parallelly. There's no option to store. If I feed the data parallelly, and then put Shift to HIGH, I will have to start reading at the very next clock pulse, else I will lose data. If I feed data and then keep Shift to LOW, the data will be lost when the inputs change. Is there any option apart from the massive circuit shown above?

A really long first post, so thank you if you have come this far!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, you have a register that can hold four bits for one cycle.
The input for each bit, when clocked, can come from one of four inputs.
0. The bit to the left, (shift right).
1. The bit to the right, (shift left).
2. The parallel input, (parallel load).
3. The resident bit, (hold data).
A four bit data selector, is less complex than a 'D' type flip-flop.

The rest of this problem is your assumptions about the use of language.

Baluncore said:
Basically, you have a register that can hold four bits for one cycle.
Then the simpler circuits win.

I wonder why the complex circuits, like the ones I showed, even given in books if the data is supposed to be stored for one cycle only.

Wrichik Basu said:
... if the data is supposed to be stored for one cycle only.
You need only consider one clock edge.
Other data may be stored during the next cycle.

Baluncore said:
You need only consider one clock edge.
Other data may be stored during the next cycle.
Let me get this straight. For a simple 4-bit SISO register, the full word is stored after four clock edges. And it is read serially starting from the fourth clock edge itself. Is this correct?

Wrichik Basu said:
Is this correct?
Yes, and you can build any length register by chaining modules of four bits together.

Baluncore said:
Yes, and you can build any length register by chaining modules of four bits together.
That is fine, but if I restrict to 4-bit systems only for the moment, then a register is supposed to be read off from the very next clock edge after the data is written, whether serially or parallelly.

Sorry, a bit off topic. But I wonder about schools keeping their curriculum up to date. These are great design problems circa 1990, or so. After that nearly every digital design like these is done with HDL code implemented by a compiler written for a PLD, CPLD, FPGA, etc. How many people outside of school are actually wiring flip-flops together in standard configurations?

When I was in EE school, in the late 1970's, I was barely taught about vacuum tubes (really only for the physics content). They weren't relevant anymore. Then when I had to work with some giant ones, I taught myself what I needed to know. Not every subject needs to be taught in school, there are too many.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
... then a register is supposed to be read off from the very next clock edge after the data is written, whether serially or parallelly.
Not if the input data selectors: Reload the resident bits, (hold data).
A register does not exist in isolation. It must be connected, controlled and synchronised by external logic.
Some universal shift registers have an added parallel output holding register, so the input register can be loaded asynchronously, with the external outputs holding their state, until commanded to update.

Baluncore said:
Some universal shift registers have an added parallel output holding register, so the input register can be loaded asynchronously, with the external outputs holding their state, until commanded to update.
We are not allowed to use universal registers because the uni thinks that using pre-programmed ICs would not help us learn anything. For God's sake, they did allow us to use a JK flip-flop IC to create the D flip-flops (7476, though there are far better alternatives with a better pinout).

Anyway, just clarify this: is parallel readout possible without an option to hold the data?

Wrichik Basu said:
Anyway, just clarify this: is parallel readout possible without an option to hold the data?
You can read the parallel output at any time, but if you are shifting left or right, in or out, at the time, the data will be invalid. It all comes down to timing.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What are shift registers and how do they work?

Shift registers are sequential logic circuits that are used to store and transfer data in digital systems. They consist of a series of flip-flops connected together in a chain, with the output of one flip-flop connected to the input of the next. The shifting operation is controlled by a clock signal, and the data is shifted in or out of the register one bit at a time.

2. What is the difference between PIPO, PISO, SIPO, and SISO shift registers?

PIPO (Parallel In, Parallel Out) shift registers have parallel inputs and outputs, meaning that all the bits are shifted in or out simultaneously. PISO (Parallel In, Serial Out) shift registers have parallel inputs and a single serial output, meaning that all the bits are shifted out one at a time. SIPO (Serial In, Parallel Out) shift registers have a single serial input and parallel outputs, meaning that all the bits are shifted in one at a time and then output simultaneously. SISO (Serial In, Serial Out) shift registers have a single serial input and output, meaning that the bits are shifted in and out one at a time.

3. What are the applications of shift registers?

Shift registers are commonly used in digital systems for data storage, data transfer, and data manipulation. They are also used in communication systems, such as serial-to-parallel and parallel-to-serial converters, and in shift register counters for counting and timing applications.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using shift registers?

One advantage of using shift registers is that they can store and transfer large amounts of data in a compact and efficient manner. They also allow for easy parallel-to-serial and serial-to-parallel conversion. However, shift registers can be more complex and require more circuitry compared to other methods of data storage and transfer.

5. Can shift registers be cascaded together?

Yes, shift registers can be cascaded together to create longer shift registers with more storage capacity. This is commonly done by connecting the output of one shift register to the input of the next, creating a chain of registers. This allows for even larger amounts of data to be stored and transferred in a sequential manner.