Wanting to study electronics, difficulty? preparation?

In summary, the conversation is about a university student who is planning to apply for a program in electronics and information engineering. The student is concerned about their ability to cope with the program and mentions mental struggles and a lack of skills. They also ask for recommendations on electronics books and advice on how to prepare for the program. The expert recommends improving math skills and suggests "The Art of Electronics" as a good book for beginners. They also suggest building hobby electronics kits to ask practical questions and enhance learning.
Kilo Vectors
Hello

I am currently a university student studying business. I am going to apply to a program in electronics and information engineering.

I liked the program because it is a mix of computer science (algorithms, operating systems, software engineering and computer architecture modules) , IT (communications systemss, among others) and electronics (ee 1,2, microcontrollers, digital electronics, among other modules)

I am just really worried I might not be able to cope or struggle with the program. I am not good at math though I am learning it well. It takes a lot of time to really understand math in my opinion, it is easy to just rote learn it fast and practice for me though.

I also have some mental problems so I often struggle, I am starting out at 21 which is a bit late. It is concerning so I often think I should drop university all together. This is difficult for me to do as I have very few skills except for 3d art, but deep down I've never really known what else to do? I always love to learn and create things.

What are some good electronics books you can recommend? and what should one do to prepare himself? I mean really preapare himself. I have gone through the syllabus and I will start studying it, but just wanted to know from others. When I start the program in about 6 months I want to "hit the ground running". But most importantly I want to actually learn and understand! if you can understand what I am saying, I hope not to become one of those students who is just working towards a pass. I really enjoy mathematics and physics but am weak at it..Mainly because I never studied it too much before. I never took exams in physics to obtain my university entrance qualification.

Ps: when I was 15 I was the best student at physics and electricity was my favourite topic, we had covered just the basics though..current, voltage, power, resistance ohms law, circuits and measurements I remember getting the highest grade in the lab and the test (5/6)..after that I didn't attend school much, in fact due to family problems and cyclical poverty I've only attended 6 years of school in total, the last time i hurriedly completed my final exams so as to get into university.

thank you for your time, sorry if anything is not clear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's good to work on your math skills -- math is at the core of all STEM careers, IMO. I wasn't great at math mid-high-school (US), but improved a lot by the end of high school and in undergrad.

For electronics, I'd recommend checking out "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It's a good introduction to basic Electronics, IMO, and has some very practical aspects to it.

I'd also recommend that you put together a few hobby electronics kits -- building real things helps you to start "asking the right questions". When you are trying to build and use real circuits, you end up asking some real practical questions. And those questions can help you in your studying and learning.

Have fun and enjoy the ride! :smile:

Likes Kilo Vectors

Related to Wanting to study electronics, difficulty? preparation?

1. What background knowledge is required to study electronics?

To study electronics, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science is necessary. Familiarity with basic circuit analysis, digital logic, and programming concepts will also be helpful.

2. Is studying electronics a difficult subject?

Electronics can be a challenging subject for some students, as it involves complex mathematical and analytical thinking. However, with dedication and practice, it can be a rewarding and exciting field to study.

3. How can I prepare for studying electronics?

To prepare for studying electronics, it is important to review and strengthen your foundation in relevant subjects such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. Familiarizing yourself with basic electronic components and their functions can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific skills I need to have to succeed in studying electronics?

Having strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as attention to detail, can be helpful in studying electronics. Additionally, being able to work with your hands and being comfortable with technology can also be advantageous.

5. What resources are available to help me with studying electronics?

There are many resources available for studying electronics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Many universities also offer tutoring services or study groups for students seeking additional help. Additionally, joining electronics clubs or participating in hands-on projects can provide practical experience and support for learning the subject.