Planning on studying math for the college entrance exam, help needed

In summary, the author wants to know if studying for 10-11 months is enough time to pass the entrance exam. They plan on having an intensive study regime and are asking for opinions on their plan.
tetsuro1
Hi, everyone!

I'm preparing myself for the next year's college entrance exam, and I hope that 10-11 months of intensive study regime will be enough time for me to pass it. I would like your opinion on it to see if such a thing is possible and if there is anything that needs to be changed about my study program.

The entrance exam which is on July, 1st is only 10 math-based questions from a random selection of topics listed here:

Now, here's the thing. All those topics that were listed in the above PasteBin link are the topics that are officially recommended on the college's site that students need to study for the exam, and what I'm curious about that is: Is 10-11 months enough time to study all these topics to be able to pass at least the majority of the questions correctly?

I have to admit that unfortunately, the last time I studied math was at high school, which was almost 7 years ago now, and seeing how I didn't use anything else other than basic arithmetic in my day-to-day life, I've forgotten all of the topics I studied back in high-school :(

To make matters worse, my studying back in the day consisted of nothing but rote learning and memorizing just enough to get a passing grade, sometimes I managed to get a perfect score, but those moments were rare.

As far as learning goes, I never had a problem with it. I understood what I was studying fairly quickly, and I never found math so "troubling" like other students did, the only problem is as I mentioned before, I only tended to memorize things and rote learn what I was supposed to learn, which in turn lead me to this situation where I forgot most of the things I've learned before. So now, with such bad knowledge of math, is this time that I allocated for studying enough to encompass about 80% of those topics? I'm not looking to ace the entrance exam (although that would be ideal), but the more points I can get, the better.

Like I said before, I do plan on having an intensive study regime to be able to achieve this.

And, here's what my study plan looks like:

* I plan to start studying as soon as possible, hopefully by August (things in life just keep getting in the way right now). When I start, I'm going to go and repeat everything from 5th - 8th grade (this is mostly because I believe that if my fundamentals are bad, so I want to remind myself of what I've learned throughout those years and fill in any gaps that I might have, so as to not make the 9-12 material difficult)

* My self-study resources will comprise mostly of:
* KhanAcademy
* PatrickJMT
* Professor Leonard
* MIT OpenCourseWare
* Worksheets found on the internet for homeworkAdditionally, if you have any recommendations for what websites or resources (books, videos, etc.) I should use them aside from these ones, feel free to recommend them. I could use anything that's good right now.

* In the beginning, my study will be light, consisting of only 3-4 hours a day, 5 days per week (1 - 2 hours more, if it's something hard), but as I'm nearing the entrance exam, I'll go with the more and more intensive regime, like 4-5 hours a day, then 6-7h a day, 6x a week, etc.

More than 8 hours is something I don't think I'll be able to accomplish, just to avoid burning myself out.

* Starting from September or October, I'll also include a private tutor who prepares students for these entrance exams, and I plan to go on those study sessions once a week to let him see how much I've progressed, if there's anything that I don't know or am stuck on, to let him explain it to me, etc.And that's pretty much it regarding my study plan. I'd like to hear your opinion on this and if there's anything you think I should change.

Also, out of all those topics listed above, the students I've contacted who have done those tests from previous years have told me that out of all those topics, the ones that appear the most frequently on tests are the following: (2, 6, 12, 16, 19, 20, 23, 24)

The tests in these previous 6-7 years are almost all the same, except with different numbers and wordings.Another thing that I'd like to ask is, should I just ignore the 5-8 material, and focus on the high school stuff immediately? The reason why I wanted to go through the 5-8 was to refresh my memory of the basics and fill in the holes of where I'm lacking. Is it better to do this, or is it better to ignore it and go immediately for the high-school stuff?

Also, in your opinion which of these topics would you focus more on, and which ones would you skip (if any)?One last thing that I should mention is that the test itself is not scored based on a "Correct/Incorrect" answer, but rather on effort. Each question can get you 6 points, and there are 10 questions in total. If you try to answer a question but get it wrong, you can still get graded from 1 to 5 points, 6 if you answer correctly, 0 if you don't write anything down, or write down something irrelevant.And that's all I have to say!

I'd like to hear your opinion on this whole situation and any suggestions you guys can offer me.

Thanks in forward, and apologies for such a long post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @tetsuro1, welcome to PF

You are on track: right place if you need experienced opinions. There go mines. But before opinions (ii), I'll give a try with facts (i):

i) Lacks I percieve: first one belongs to me: haven't read completely your post. Please keep in mind this fact; another lack is that you look for opinions; opinions are not only free; they are constrained to oneself's subjectivity.

ii) Search for persons. You will actually come across with many. Invent, improvise.

Last opinion: I am sure you will achieve.

Love and luck.

I suggest you get a look at the material that will be asked in the exam, try to understand it , and switch to foundational material mostly if/when needed. I think this is a more " organic" way of dealing with, learning the material than trying to learn it in a purely bottom-up way.

WWGD said:
I suggest you get a look at the material that will be asked in the exam, try to understand it , and switch to foundational material mostly if/when needed. I think this is a more " organic" way of dealing with, learning the material than trying to learn it in a purely bottom-up way.
I think this way of studying wherein you attempt to answer questions and understand and fill the gaps in the foundation as needed, is a more natural way of learning , and models more closely the way learning happens, than a bottom-up approach. But ultimately, it's about what works best for you. Good luck on your exam.

Just a follow-up in case you're still around. How did the exam go?

1. What is the best way to prepare for the math section of the college entrance exam?

The best way to prepare for the math section of the college entrance exam is to start early and practice regularly. Reviewing basic math concepts, completing practice problems, and taking timed practice tests can help improve your skills and build confidence.

2. How important is math for the college entrance exam?

Math is an important part of the college entrance exam, as it tests your problem-solving and critical thinking skills. A strong math score can also help improve your overall exam score and increase your chances of getting into your desired college.

3. Are there any specific topics or concepts that I should focus on for the math section of the college entrance exam?

The math section of the college entrance exam typically covers a range of topics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is important to review all of these topics, but also pay extra attention to any areas where you may need more practice or struggle with.

4. How can I manage my time effectively during the math section of the college entrance exam?

Time management is crucial during the college entrance exam, especially for the math section. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions on the exam, and practice completing problems within the allotted time. You can also strategize by tackling easier problems first and then going back to more challenging ones.

5. Are there any resources or study materials that you recommend for studying math for the college entrance exam?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the math section of the college entrance exam. Some options include review books, online practice tests, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to utilize any study materials provided by the exam board, such as official practice tests and study guides.