Can Virtual Particles Be Observed in Experiments?

In summary, virtual particles are unobservable by definition and cannot be directly observed in experiments. However, real particles can be formed from virtual particles by adding energy. Virtual particles do not have matter or mass, and their existence is brief. They are caused by fluctuations in quantum fields. The larger the virtual particle, the shorter its existence will be. Photons are also considered virtual particles.
alex7773
Hi guys i don't know much about physics but I am interested in learning about it i have

According to wikipedia virtual particle hasnt never been observed but i think that they are wrong it has been observed in this experiment
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-mirrors-Quantum-scientists-make-nothing.html

my question are:

1do virtual particles have matter/mass?

2how long do they last?

3what cause them?

4 Is it true that the larger they are the briefer its existence will be

Are photon virtual particles too?sorry if my grammar is bad english is my sec language please answer my question please

Physics news on Phys.org
alex7773 said:
it has been observed in this experiment

This experiment did not observe virtual particles; virtual particles are unobservable by definition. It observed real particles that had been formed by, heuristically speaking, adding energy to virtual particles and thus turning them into real particles. I say "heuristically speaking" because there are a lot of subtleties lurking here, and I would strongly advise you to spend some time learning about them before trying to draw any conclusions about what experiments like this one are telling you.

Likes bhobba

Related to Can Virtual Particles Be Observed in Experiments?

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are subatomic particles that spontaneously appear and disappear in the vacuum of space. They are not directly observable, but their effects can be measured through various experiments.

2. How are virtual particles created in an experiment?

Virtual particles are created through quantum fluctuations, which are random fluctuations in energy levels that occur on a microscopic scale. These fluctuations can lead to the temporary formation of particle-antiparticle pairs.

3. What is the purpose of studying virtual particles in experiments?

The study of virtual particles can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as quantum mechanics. They also play a role in many important phenomena, such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation.

4. Can virtual particles be observed directly?

No, virtual particles cannot be observed directly. They exist for such a short amount of time that they cannot be detected using current technology. However, their effects can be observed and measured through various experiments.

5. What are some current experiments studying virtual particles?

There are many experiments currently studying virtual particles, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which is searching for evidence of new particles and forces. Other experiments include the Casimir Effect Measurement (CEM) and the Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster (QVPT).