Independent virtual particle after mind experiment annihilation

In summary, In this conversation, the concept of independent virtual particle after "mind experiment" annihilation is discussed. It is clarified that virtual photons are mathematical artifacts without any speed or energy limitations. The electro-magnetic force is communicated through virtual photons in the case of static fields, while real photons are responsible for EM waves. The thought experiment of one electron popping out of existence violates the rules of conservation of energy and charge.
NoelyG
Independent virtual particle after "mind experiment" annihilation

Hello good people,

Probably a bit of a silly question, but I have been entertaining a bit of a thought experiment about the following. Consider the following:

1. A virtual photon is exchanged between two electrons to mediate the electro-magnetic force.
2. The photon can only travel at the speed of light, so during its travel time, one electron is completely annihilated
3. Does the virtual photon still exist, or wouldn't it have been emitted in the first place?

Probably a silly question, but if any of you could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You are confusing a real photon with a virtual photon. Virtual photons are mathematical artifacts which are not limited to any speed or energy, we refer to this as being off mass shell. If a real photon is emitted it exists until it is re-absorbed.

Thanks for the reply cosmik,

I guess what I was curious about was the following:

1. The electro-magnetic force can not be "communicated" faster than the speed of light
2. We have two electrons separated by a distance x
3. If one electron "pops" out of existence at time t, will the other electron still feel a repulsive force for x/c?

You say that virtual photons, which, mathematically at least, communicate the electro-magnetic force but are not limited in speed or energy - however, if this is the case, why is it that the electro-magnetic force is only communicated at the speed of light?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I am no doubt missing something fundamental. Thanks for your assistance.

EDIT: Am I correct in saying that the electro-magnetic force is communicated via virtual photons (i.e. unobservable) rather than real photons (observable)?

Last edited:

You have to be careful when you talk about EM. The case where the field is static is different from the case when EM waves are emitted. The energy in a static field is carried by virtual photons. The energy in EM waves are carried by real photons. In the static case there is nothing to propagate the field is just there as it has always been, that's why it is called static. When a charge is accelerated it will emit EM waves which are comprised of real photons which propagate at c.

Your thought experiment violates the rules, an electron cannot pop out of existence, that would violate conservation of energy and charge, if you break the rules predictions cannot be made.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me cosmik, makes sense now

The said statements are not silly, If we thought without violating any of the physics laws for example the bulb of 60 watt will realize one photon in priscribed time.

Related to Independent virtual particle after mind experiment annihilation

1. What are independent virtual particles?

Independent virtual particles are theoretical particles that exist temporarily in a vacuum as a result of quantum fluctuations. They are not directly observable and do not have a physical presence, but they play a significant role in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

2. What happens to independent virtual particles after a mind experiment annihilation?

After a mind experiment annihilation, the independent virtual particles will cease to exist. This is because the annihilation process would disrupt the vacuum state and cause the particles to disappear.

3. How do independent virtual particles relate to the mind experiment annihilation?

Independent virtual particles are used in mind experiments to demonstrate certain concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the role of observation in determining the state of a particle. The annihilation process is often used as a hypothetical scenario to explore the behavior of these particles.

4. Can independent virtual particles be directly observed or measured?

No, independent virtual particles cannot be directly observed or measured. They only exist for a very short period of time and their effects can only be observed indirectly through their influence on other particles.

5. How do independent virtual particles differ from real particles?

Independent virtual particles differ from real particles in that they do not have a physical presence and are not directly observable. They also have different properties, such as being able to exist in a vacuum and having no definite mass or energy. Real particles, on the other hand, have a physical presence and can be observed and measured.