Understanding the divide white/black/blue

• Thread starter gjonesy
  • Start date
In summary: You have a job to do, you are going to do your job and that is it.In summary, the loss of life recently, has been tragic. It is cause for concern for the safety of Americans of all races, especially given the fact that much of it was needless and probably avoidable. Rather then point fingers, I would like to give some perspective to the situation as a whole and what brought us to the place we reside at now. A place of distrust. The perspective of your average (law abiding police officer or law enforcement official, even security officer) is trust no one, be on guard, take nothing at face value. You are in a thankless job, some of the people you are mandated
micromass said:
As a European, this makes no sense at all. Here we very rarely have police officers killing civilians. What's the difference?
More armed bad guys. Gangs, thugs with guns, etc. I'm liking the Australian model a bit more lately...

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
As a European, this makes no sense at all. Here we very rarely have police officers killing civilians. What's the difference?
It's probably due to how many Americans are armed, something police in Europe do not have to deal with.

Each year, roughly 117,000 Americans are shot, and nearly one in every three of those shot die. Some Americans have responded to the problem of gun violence by advocating for stricter gun laws, while others have armed themselves. Allegedly, the victims of the recent fatal police shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana each had concealed weapons, presumably for protection.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/07/17/guns-concealed-weapons-states/86181778/

Likes Sophia and berkeman
berkeman said:
More armed bad guys. Gangs, thugs with guns, etc. I'm liking the Australian model a bit more lately...

I agree that this is a major contributor. But it cannot be all.

Knife violence is a big problem in England, yet British police have fatally shot only one person wielding a knife since 2008 – a hostage-taker. By comparison, my calculations based on data compiled by fatalencounters.org and the Washington Post show that US police have fatally shot more than 575 people allegedly wielding blades and other such weapons just in the years since 2013.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cops-lethal_us_565cde59e4b079b2818b8870

Evo said:
It's probably due to how many Americans are armed, something police in Europe do not have to deal with.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/07/17/guns-concealed-weapons-states/86181778/

That cannot be the only reason. You don't think we have access to deadly weapons here? Sure, I can't buy a semi-automatic weapon in any store here. But criminals who want, can and do still find guns. Also, it's very easy to find knives and other deadly weapons.It appears to me that police officers in the US are trained less well than in Europe and are held to looser standards than here. See the link in my previous post for a reference.

Likes StatGuy2000
micromass said:
It appears to me that police officers in the US are trained less well than in Europe
I have not trained with European LEOs. I have trained with US LEOs. I find this comment hard to believe. Have you trained with European LEOs?

Likes Evo
berkeman said:
I have not trained with European LEOs. I have trained with US LEOs. I find this comment hard to believe. Have you trained with European LEOs?

No, I haven't. It's always possible the article I cited is wrong though, I would be happy if you would correct it!

micromass said:
That cannot be the only reason. You don't think we have access to deadly weapons here? Sure, I can't buy a semi-automatic weapon in any store here. But criminals who want, can and do still find guns. Also, it's very easy to find knives and other deadly weapons.It appears to me that police officers in the US are trained less well than in Europe and are held to looser standards than here. See the link in my previous post for a reference.
Possibly, but when an officer knows that a large percentage of the people they stop could have a gun, even if it turns out to be a knife that they're reaching for, or even if it's nothing, they are conditioned to react as if it may be a gun and the person may intend to use it on them. I don't think police in Europe live with that fear like inner city police here do. I live in a quiet suburb, police are less stressed, so killings are pretty much unheard of.

Evo said:
Possibly, but when an officer knows that a large percentage of the people they stop could have a gun, even if it turns out to be a knife that they're reaching for, or even if it's nothing, they are conditioned to react as if it may be a gun and the person may intend to use it on them. I don't think police in Europe live with that fear like inner city police here do. I live in a quiet suburb, police are less stressed, so killings are pretty much unheard of.

Aren't police officers supposed to be well trained so that such conditioning doesn't happen?
You're talking like there are no dangerous neighborhoods in European cities either!

micromass said:
Aren't police officers supposed to be well trained so that such conditioning doesn't happen?
You're talking like there are no dangerous neighborhoods in European cities either!
I don't think that there is any amount of training that can completely override natural survival instinct. I do believe that it's far worse for police in high crime areas, I don't know how bad neighborhoods in Europe compare in gun violence with bad areas in the US, perhaps you do, but at this point I am speculating, so I won't continue.

micromass said:
No, I haven't. It's always possible the article I cited is wrong though, I would be happy if you would correct it!
That's a provocative article -- I need to spend more time with it before responding. Thanks micromass.

Evo said:
I don't think that there is any amount of training that can completely override natural survival instinct. I do believe that it's far worse for police in high crime areas, I don't know how bad neighborhoods in Europe compare in gun violence with bad areas in the US, perhaps you do, but at this point I am speculating, so I won't continue.

OK. Let's assume that there are lot more bad neighborhoods in the US than in Europe and that they're much worse. Why do you think that is? Note that Switzerland ranks about fourth wordly in gun ownership (US citizens have 3 times more guns than Swiss), but the Swiss police is less than 1 per million, while the US police kills 35 per million. I highly doubt gun ownership explains this completely.

I'm not as much interested in why there is so much gun violence (by police or by criminals) in the US, but rather how to end this.

http://www.dailynews.com/government...ng-rate-compared-to-other-developed-countries
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Switzerland/United-States/Crime
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

berkeman said:
That's a provocative article -- I need to spend more time with it before responding. Thanks micromass.

Take your time. If there is anything wrong with the article or with what I said, I really want to know in detail. That said, I didn't like the racism discussion in the article that much.

micromass said:
I agree that this is a major contributor. But it cannot be all.

Knife violence is a big problem in England, yet British police have fatally shot only one person wielding a knife since 2008 – a hostage-taker. By comparison, my calculations based on data compiled by fatalencounters.org and the Washington Post show that US police have fatally shot more than 575 people allegedly wielding blades and other such weapons just in the years since 2013.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cops-lethal_us_565cde59e4b079b2818b8870
This would be due to the fact that most British police do not carry guns.

In Northern Ireland, all police officers carry firearms. In the rest of the United Kingdom, the majority of police officers do not carry firearms, that duty is instead carried out by specially-trained firearms officers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom

In 2010, following the serious injury of an unarmed officer in a knife attack, the chairman of the Police Memorial Trust,Michael Winner stated that he had put up memorials to 44 officers and that he believed, "It is almost certain that at least 38 of those [Police Officers] would be alive had they been armed".[16] In response, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation Peter Smyth said, "A lot of police officers don't want to be armed. We don't want a call to arms, I don't think that's necessary."[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom#Great_Britain

micromass said:
1) That is not standard for European countries, where the police does carry guns.
2) If the UK can handle the situation without guns, what's so different about the US then? Sure, sure: more dangerous neighborhoods. But why?
I was responding to your statement about British police.

Evo said:
I was responding to your statement about British police.

OK, but that misses the point. I can easily find similar statements about other countries, where the police does carry guns. And I'm not really interested in this discussion either. I'm more interested in how to change this dire situation.

micromass said:
OK, but that misses the point. I can easily find similar statements about other countries, where the police does carry guns. And I'm not really interested in this discussion either. I'm more interested in how to change this dire situation.
You're talking in vague generalities that aren't always true and jumping around a lot. It's a complicated issue, but so far we have the following differences listed, varying from country to country:
1. More civilians have guns (in the US).
2. More police have guns.
3. Higher violent crime rates.
And I would add:
4. Lingering racial tensions.

For your hypothesis; Are police better trained and better quality in Europe? It's a provocative hypothesis, but it isn't without logic: the fact that the US has and requires more police than most other European countries while simultaneously having it a more difficult and dangerous job means that we need to work a lot harder to get, train, retain and maintain our police forces than most European countries. It should be expected that as a result ours would be on average of lower quality.

Likes gjonesy
The wikipedia article does tend to corroborate the article I linked about training though. But maybe it's paining a biased picture because of things I'm not considering?

Finland: The basic police training lasts in its entirety for 3 years.
Romania: The Romanian Police academy is located in Bucureşti. They are training only officers (Bachelor (3 years), master degree (2 years) and Dr (3+1 years)).
Abu Dhabi: One year for theoretical study and another for field work.
Connecticut: The to be officers then have to attend an 818-hour basic training course that covers various aspects of police work
Texas: Police academies typically last from 18 to 30 weeks, though there are many variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_academy

russ_watters said:
You're talking in vague generalities that aren't always true and jumping around a lot

If something I said isn't true, then please tell me.

micromass said:
I need to look more into this article's sources, but this quote struck me:
For example, the unfounded fear of Darren Wilson – the former Ferguson cop who fatally shot Michael Brown – that Brown was armed would not have likely absolved him in Europe...

In Europe, killing is considered unnecessary if alternatives exist. For example, national guidelines in Spain would have prescribed that Wilson incrementally pursue verbal warnings, warning shots, and shots at nonvital parts of the body before resorting to deadly force. Six shots would likely be deemed disproportionate to the threat that Brown, unarmed and wounded, allegedly posed.
I see two basic problems here in the characterization, plus one actual and one likely legal difference:
Michael Brown attacked Officer Wilson and tried to take his gun. He very clearly presented a mortal threat and it would surprise me a great deal if European courts would disagree that the shooting was justified.

Most (I would assume all) police forces do have rules of engagement that dictate escalating levels of force, starting with verbal warnings, which of course American police do start with.

Next, American forces don't do "warning shots" or "shots at nonvital parts of the body" and it surprises me that other countries do. A gunshot is an inherently deadly level of force and trying to shoot at a leg (for example) is very difficult, often ineffective, can still kill and if it doesn't can irreparably maim. As such, guns are not to be used in situations where deadly force is not proscribed.

micromass said:
If something I said isn't true, then please tell me.
No, the problem with jumping around is that things you say may be true for one country but not true for another. For example, you brought up the example of the UK, which has an easy answer - they don't carry guns - but then discarded it because...you didn't like the obvious answer? I'm just asking that you recognize/accept that there is complexity to this issue. Evo's answer was a good one -- a relevant one. It may not be applicable in all countries, but it is applicable in at least one where you thought a comparison with the US relevant. So don't discard it.

russ_watters said:
No, the problem with jumping around is that things you say may be true for one country but not true for another. For example, you brought up the example of the UK, which has an easy answer - they don't carry guns - but then discarded it because...you didn't like the obvious answer? I'm just asking that you recognize/accept that there is complexity to this issue. Evo's answer was a good one -- a relevant one. It may not be applicable in all countries, but it is applicable in at least one where you thought a comparison with the US relevant. So don't discard it.

Sure, it is an obvious answer. But it didn't really tell me anything new, nor did it tell me anything I'm particularly interested in getting an answer in.

But you said:

You're talking in vague generalities that aren't always true and jumping around a lot

You explain the jumping around part, and you're probably right. I still would like to hear about the "aren't always true" part.

The answer to that i think is a combination of variables micromass.

I would add to russ's list an extremely high turn over rate. And a very high burn out or comp out rate to boot.

I got injured and spent this last 5 years behind a desk. This year I am being separated do to unavailability because the department can't afford to pay a veteran officer to sit behind a desk and not take on full duties.

Then you get a lot of (rookies) working with less experienced officers. Going into hot areas and that is very contributory to the problem. I was a 15 year vet. Most of the guys in my unit were under 2 years. It takes about 5 years on the force to really qualify as a veteran officer.

gjonesy said:
The answer to that i think is a combination of variables micromass.

I would add to russ's list an extremely high turn over rate. And a very high burn out or comp out rate to boot.

I got injured and spent this last 5 years behind a desk. This year I am being separated do to unavailability because the department can't afford to pay a veteran officer to sit behind a desk and not take on full duties.

Then you get a lot of (rookies) working with less experienced officers. Going into hot areas and that is very contributory to the problem. I was a 15 year vet. Most of the guys in my unit were under 2 years. It takes about 5 years on the force to really qualify as a veteran officer.

Why do you think is there a very high turn over and burn out rate?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...e-racist-and-violent-and-theres-only-one-fix/

This article above essentially captures my experience with cops in a large urban city. When I was a 16, I used to work at a mechanic shop and got off late. Walking home around 10 p.m. I would be routinely stopped and asked a series of questions. The one time I refused to stop and talk, I was tackled and handcuffed. There seems something fundamental wrong with America if a)it's acceptable to do that to a teenage kid and b)police offers feel that they are justified.

A decade or so later, I've encountered many good cops. I've learned that outside the uniform, outside their beat, they are more or less decent human begins. However, in my opinion, there's something septic about the cop culture when it comes to dealing with urban environment. It seems as if there is a belief that this is a war, and that everything there is a potential threat. So if that's the case, it shouldn't be to anyone's surprise that cops become aggressive quickly. It also shouldn't be surprising that citizens in those communities become less receptive to cops.

Likes Cruz Martinez
micromass said:

Because it is...lol I have been an LEO for over 15 years and have rarely seen an officer make it beyond 2 years. Some people just can't handle the pressure its dangerous and you get treated badly,...add to that a ridiculously low salary,... it is not very much insensitive in staying long.

I stayed because its all i ever wanted to do professionally speaking. Wanted to be a cop since i was a kid.

gjonesy said:
Because it is...lol I have been an LEO for over 15 years and have rarely seen an officer make it beyond 2 years. Some people just can't handle the pressure its dangerous and you get treated badly,...add to that a ridiculously low salary,... it is not very much insensitive in staying long.

I stayed because its all i ever wanted to do professionally speaking. Wanted to be a cop since i was a kid.

What do you think about my statement about police officers receiving too little training?

micromass said:
What do you think about my statement about police officers receiving too little training?
I agree,,,,they don't. They asked us (the veteran officers) how to better prepare rookies for the job. My suggestion was gun take away and knife take away techniques. It took 2 years to implament that training.

First they had to develop it, then approve it, ask the lawyers how to legally defend it if a technique is misused or if someone got hurt doing it.

Lots of red tape to go through its a nightmare for training staff.

Regarding the training aspects, I was listening to an interview with former Seattle Police Chief Norm Stamper says in his book To Protect and Serve: How to Fix America's Police that policing is in crisis. He says more emphasis needs to be put on community policing. He had a number of thoughtful and thought-provoking comments.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/10/48546...ief-has-a-plan-for-how-to-fix-americas-police

I read an interesting article this morning
Police Pay Gap: Many of America's Finest Struggle on Poverty Wages
OCT 26 2014
Since then, he’s worked for three different police departments in St. Louis County, all paying between $10.50 and $12.50 an hour.

“This is not what I expected,” said Howard. “I thought being a police officer was a really good job.”
Curious for a comparison, I checked the HR department's website where I used to work. The lowest salary is for students: $11.50/hour

OmCheeto said:
I read an interesting article this morning

Curious for a comparison, I checked the HR department's website where I used to work. The lowest salary is for students: $11.50/hour

I was a 15 year career officer my yearly salary was 33,000 before taxes, after taxes and deductions may have cleared 20 grand.

micromass said:
Sure, it is an obvious answer. But it didn't really tell me anything new, nor did it tell me anything I'm particularly interested in getting an answer in.
You really should be interested in hearing all relevant answers. In any case, since it had an obvious answer, I'm curious as to why you brought up England, yet didn't provide the answer yourself?
But you said:

You explain the jumping around part, and you're probably right. I still would like to hear about the "aren't always true" part.
It's one complaint: jumping around means you make a statement/give an example that is true/relevant in one case and not true/relevant in another or vice versa; In the case of England, you heard an answer that was true for that case (a case you raised) but didn't want to accept it so you jump to another where it isn't true.

All I'm suggesting here is that you should be more open to the complexity of the issue and not be so quick to discard answers you don't like.

Likes gjonesy
micromass said:
While I didn't include it in my list, I did describe the problem and cause and the relationship to training in the last paragraph of post #52.

Likes gjonesy
russ_watters said:
You really should be interested in hearing all relevant answers. In any case, since it had an obvious answer, I'm curious as to why you brought up England, yet didn't provide the answer yourself?

It's one complaint: jumping around means you make a statement/give an example that is true/relevant in one case and not true/relevant in another or vice versa; In the case of England, you heard an answer that was true for that case (a case you raised) but didn't want to accept it so you jump to another where it isn't true.

All I'm suggesting here is that you should be more open to the complexity of the issue and not be so quick to discard answers you don't like.

1) Where at all did you get the notion that I didn't accept the England answer in the first place? You seem to have made that up. I never said the answer was wrong. I jumped to another example because the England answer was explained for me and I wanted to hear an explanation for the other answers.

2) Unless you think it is a good idea for cops in America not to wear guns like in England, then there must be other differences between England and America that makes it true that English police doesn't wear guns. Those are the things I'm interested in.

3) You failing to give examples of things "that aren't always true" is frankly disgusting behavior to me. Sorry, but that's how I see it. You can spin the England example all you want, but you're not actually pointing out something that I said that "isn't always true". It would be respectable of you to retract that statement then.