Understanding Probability Density Functions and Their Properties

In summary: I admit I know little about how such objects are formally defined, my understanding on this topic is limited to quite an operational approach. In my (limited) experience, thinking of ##f_X(x) dx## as a probability and relating this to the discrete case helps me to get a hold on what's going on.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
N/A
Relevant Equations
##\int f(x) \cdot{x} \mathrm{d} x##
My questions are as follows:
1. How do we find them and why do we need them?
2. What are the meanings of the mean and the median of a PDF? Are the formulae below correct?
$$\int_{a}^{median} f(x) \mathrm{d}x = \int_{median}^{b} f(x) \mathrm{d}x$$
$$\int_{a}^{mean} f(x) \cdot x \mathrm{d}x = \int_{mean}^{b} f(x) \cdot x \mathrm{d}x = \frac 1 2$$

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is that the probability density function of a continuous random variable ##X##, ##f_X(x)##, is a probability per unit increment of ##x##. If ##f_X(x)## is constant within a certain interval, then the probability of the result being in that interval is just the probability per unit increment multiplied by the width of the interval, ##P = f_X(x) \Delta x##

If ##f_X(x)## is now a continuously varying function, you can imagine making ##\Delta x## small and summing lots of incremental probabilities in order to get the total probability of the result being within a certain interval $$P(x_1 \leq X \leq x_2) = \sum_{i=1}^n f_X(x_i) \Delta x$$ where ##x_i = x_1 + (i-1)\Delta x## as well as the usual definition of ##\Delta x = \frac{b-a}{n}## for ##n## strips for a Riemann sum. If you make the increments very small, i.e. ##\Delta x \rightarrow dx##, this becomes an integral $$P(x_1 \leq X \leq x_2) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f_X(x) dx$$ Now for your question. The median of a continuous random variable is where the cumulative probability up to that value of ##x## is 0.5, so if ##X## takes values in ##[a,b]##, $$\int_a^{\text{median}} f_X(x) dx = \int_{\text{median}}^{b} f_X(x) dx = 0.5$$ The expectation (similar to mean) of a continuous random variable ##X## also follows from the discrete case, which is $$E(X) = \sum_i p_i x_i$$ which translates into the continuous arena as $$E(X) = \int_a^b xf_X(x) dx$$ where ##[a,b]## is the whole range of possible values the c.r.v. can take.

Expectations are evaluated over the whole range of possible values of ##X##, and the cumulative probability up to the expectation is not (necessarily) 50%. So the second line of formulae you quote are incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes sysprog, WWGD, archaic and 2 others
etotheipi said:
The idea is that the probability density function of a continuous random variable ##X##, ##f_X(x)##, is a probability per unit increment of ##x##. If ##f_X(x)## is constant within a certain interval, then the probability of the result being in that interval is just the probability per unit increment multiplied by the width of the interval, ##P = f_X(x) \Delta x##

If ##f_X(x)## is now a continuously varying function, you can imagine making ##\Delta x## small and summing lots of incremental probabilities in order to get the total probability of the result being within a certain interval $$P(a \leq X \leq b) = \sum_{i=1}^n f_X(x_i) \Delta x$$ where ##x_i = a + (i-1)\Delta x## as well as the usual definition of ##\Delta x = \frac{b-a}{n}## for ##n## strips for a Riemann sum. If you make the increments very small, i.e. ##\Delta x \rightarrow dx##, this becomes an integral $$P(a \leq X \leq b) = \int_{a}^b f_X(x) dx$$ Now for your question. The median of a continuous random variable is where the cumulative probability up to that value of ##x## is 0.5, so if ##X## takes values in ##[a,b]##, $$\int_a^{\text{median}} f_X(x) dx = \int_{\text{median}}^{b} f_X(x) dx = 0.5$$ The expectation (similar to mean) of a continuous random variable ##X## also follows from the discrete case, which is $$E(X) = \sum_i p_i x_i$$ which translates into the continuous arena as $$E(X) = \int_a^b xf_X(x) dx$$ where ##[a,b]## is the whole range of possible values the c.r.v. can take.

Expectations are evaluated over the whole range of possible values of ##X##, and the cumulative probability up to the expectation is not (necessarily) 50%. So the second line of formulae you quote are incorrect.

I think this is good intuition, but the context in which this works is larger (for example ##f_X## must not be continuous, but merely measurable).

Likes etotheipi
Math_QED said:
I think this is good intuition, but the context in which this works is larger (for example ##f_X## must not be continuous, but merely measurable).

I admit I know little about how such objects are formally defined, my understanding on this topic is limited to quite an operational approach. In my (limited) experience, thinking of ##f_X(x) dx## as a probability and relating this to the discrete case helps me to get a hold on what's going on.

Apologies if I butchered the maths!

Aha, thank you for your detailed answer!

etotheipi said:
I would like to know if this explains why PDF is the derivative of the CDF because if ##\Delta P = f_X(x) \Delta x##, then it can be shown that ##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \frac {\Delta P(x)} {\Delta x}##.
Also, if we already knew the CDF, why would one want to find its PDF since we can calculate the probability by subtracting ##y_1## from ##y_2##?

etotheipi said:
The expectation (similar to mean) of a continuous random variable X also follows from the discrete case
I see - it is just expectation. Would you minding telling me why mathematicians don't just use expectation in this case?

Leo Liu said:
I would like to know if this explains why PDF is the derivative of the CDF because if ##\Delta P = f_X(x) \Delta x##, then it can be shown that ##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \frac {\Delta P(x)} {\Delta x}##.

The CDF of a c.r.v. which takes values in the interval ##[a,b]## is defined as $$F_X(x) = \int_a^x f_X(x') dx'$$ If we take the derivative of this function w.r.t. ##x##, the fundamental theorem of calculus gives us
$$\frac{dF_X(x)}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f_X(x') dx' = f_X(x)$$ which is the desired result. Your intuition is correct, since the PDF is really just the rate of change of the cumulative probability w.r.t ##x##.

Leo Liu said:
Also, if we already knew the CDF, why would one want to find its PDF since we can calculate the probability by subtracting ##y_1## from ##y_2##?

For finding probabilities, yes, it's sufficient to have the CDF. But there is a lot more you can do with c.r.v.'s, a lot of which is formulated in terms of the PDF. For instance, to find the expectation or variance, you need to use the PDF in the various integrals.

Being able to switch between them is also important. If you have a c.r.v. e.g. ##X##, and want to find the distribution of ##Z = X^2##, a common approach is to go via the CDF. In this case, (for simplicity, let's suppose ##X## takes only positive values): $$F_Z(z) = P(Z<z) = P(X^2 < z) = P(X < \sqrt{z}) = F_X(\sqrt{z})$$ and then you can differentiate w.r.t. ##z## to find the PDF of ##Z##.

Leo Liu said:
I see - it is just expectation. Would you minding telling me why mathematicians don't just use expectation in this case?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The easiest way to think about it is that for a given set of numerical data (i.e. you have already taken a sample from the distribution) you can calculate a mean. Whilst if you haven't got any actual measurements yet you are instead calculating the expectation of the c.r.v. The two concepts are similar, but quite distinct. For a probability distribution, it is the expectation that we usually talk about in this context.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes sysprog and Leo Liu
Re expectation, it is considered a measure of center, to understand where the values tend to aggregate*. In symmetric distributions such as the normal , mean and median ( and mode) coincide. If /when they don't, the distribution is skewed.

*Mean may not be reflective of center if there are outliers. If this last is the case, the median is used.

Likes etotheipi

Related to Understanding Probability Density Functions and Their Properties

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function, or PDF, is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value within a given range. It is used to represent the distribution of a continuous random variable and is often graphed as a curve on a graph.

2. What are the properties of a probability density function?

Some properties of a probability density function include: it must be non-negative for all values, the area under the curve must equal 1, and it can take on any value between 0 and 1.

3. How is a probability density function different from a probability mass function?

A probability density function is used to represent the distribution of a continuous random variable, while a probability mass function is used for discrete random variables. This means that a probability density function is represented as a curve, while a probability mass function is represented as a series of points.

4. How is the mean of a probability density function calculated?

The mean of a probability density function is calculated by finding the average of all the possible values of the random variable, weighted by their corresponding probabilities. This can be done by integrating the product of the random variable and the probability density function over its entire range.

5. Can a probability density function be used to predict the exact outcome of a random variable?

No, a probability density function cannot be used to predict the exact outcome of a random variable. It only describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on a certain value within a given range. The actual outcome of a random variable is determined by chance and cannot be predicted with certainty.