Dirac delta function approximation

Lambda96
Homework Statement
show that the following applies ##\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} g^{\epsilon}(x) \phi(x)dx = \phi(0)##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I'm not sure if I have calculated task b correctly, and unfortunately I don't know what to do with task c?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-16 um 14.38.30.png

I solved task b as follows

##\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} g^{\epsilon}(x) \phi(x)dx=\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{\infty}^{\epsilon} 0 \phi(x)dx + \displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{- \epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon} \phi(x)dx +\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{\epsilon}^{\infty} 0 \phi(x)dx=\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \int_{- \epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon} \phi(x)dx = \displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \frac{\varphi(\epsilon) - \varphi(- \epsilon)}{2 \epsilon}= \phi(0)##

Does task c mean the following
##\int_{- \epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon} \phi(x) dx=\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \sum\limits_{x= -\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon} \phi(x)##

Physics news on Phys.org
task b) looks correct to me though the equality in the very last step is not so obvious and you have to show the intermediate steps (but I guess maybe in your book there is a sub problem that does that ). Also it is a bit confusing that you are using two different representations of the greek letter phi to denote a continuous function and its antiderivative.

Hold on while I process task c).

Likes Lambda96
What you wrote in c) doesn't even make sense cause you seem to consider a sum over a continuous variable x, while the sum/series i know are over discrete variables from the set of integers.

What task wants you to is to write the integral as the limit of a Riemann sum and then take the limit for epsilon and then change the order with which you take the limits.

I mean the limit of a Riemann sum is something like $$\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(a+i\frac{b-a}{n})\frac{b-a}{n}$$ and then take the limit of this with epsilon tending to zero , setting first ##a=-\epsilon ,b=\epsilon## (##f(x)=g^e(x)\phi(x)##) and then first compute the limit as epsilon tending to zero and then in what is computed take the limit n tending to infinity. You ll find that you get infinity and not the desired result by doing it that way.

Likes Lambda96
For b I would not work with the antiderivative explicitly. Instead, I would apply the mean value theorem for integrals
$$
\int_a^b f(x) dx = (b-a) f(c)
$$
for some ##c## such that ##a<c<b##. This means that
$$
\frac 1{2\epsilon} \int_{-\epsilon}^\epsilon \phi(x)dx
= \phi(x^*_\epsilon)
$$
where ##|x^*_\epsilon | < \epsilon## such that ##\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \phi(x^*_{\epsilon}) = \phi(0)##. It just feels cleaner to me.

Likes Lambda96
Orodruin said:
It just feels cleaner to me.
The whole idea seems nice and neat except that it is not so clear to me that $$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} x_{\epsilon}^{*}=0$$.

To the OP:
Forget what i said in post #3 about the limit of the Riemann sum ( i ll leave the post there though and not delete it cause it might seem interesting to you)

What c) wants you to do is to compute $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}g^{\epsilon}(x)\phi(x)dx$$

Likes Lambda96
Delta2 said:
The whole idea seems nice and neat except that it is not so clear to me that $$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} x_{\epsilon}^{*}=0$$.
If you choose ##\epsilon > 0## then for any ##\delta < \epsilon##: ##|x^*_{\delta}-0| < \epsilon## so ##x^*_\epsilon## converges to zero by definition.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
If you choose ##\epsilon > 0## then for any ##\delta < \epsilon##: ##|x^*_{\delta}-0| < \epsilon## so ##x^*_\epsilon## converges to zero by definition.
Ye ok what confused me is the way you write it it seems to be a sequence with a continuous variable as index so you know very confusing but it is in fact a real function $$x_{\epsilon}^{*}=h(\epsilon)$$ such that $$|h(\epsilon)|<\epsilon$$ from which it follows that that limit is zero indeed.

Thank you Delta2 and Orodruin for your help 👍 👍

I have now tried to calculate the task c

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} g^{\epsilon}(x)\phi(x)dx=\int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon}\phi(x)##

But if I now form the limit value, I get ##\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon}=\infty## or am I misinterpreting the term in the integral?

Lambda96 said:
Thank you Delta2 and Orodruin for your help 👍 👍

I have now tried to calculate the task c

##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} g^{\epsilon}(x)\phi(x)dx=\int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon}\phi(x)##

But if I now form the limit value, I get ##\displaystyle{\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}} \frac{1}{2 \epsilon}=\infty## or am I misinterpreting the term in the integral?
You cannot take the integral out of the limit. Its boundaries depend on ##\epsilon##!

Likes Lambda96 and Delta2
Orodruin said:
You cannot take the integral out of the limit. Its boundaries depend on ##\epsilon##!
That's correct but i also kinda did what the OP did at #9 and i thought we get ##+\infty## in this case. But i see now its wrong. So I cant understand what task c is supposed to mean.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you Orodruin and Delta2 for your help 👍👍

Unfortunately, I also don't understand what is meant by commuting the integral and the limit. Isn't the integral (1) a Riemann integral, why does the problem specifically state that it should now be interpreted as one?

Likes Delta2
Lambda96 said:
Thank you Orodruin and Delta2 for your help 👍👍

Unfortunately, I also don't understand what is meant by commuting the integral and the limit. Isn't the integral (1) a Riemann integral, why does the problem specifically state that it should now be interpreted as one?
I had the exact same question to myself . That is a Riemann definite integral anyway it isnt a Lebesque integral. The only thing I see is that the task means to view it as the limit of a Riemann sum (as i describe in post #3) and not as an antiderivative by using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Ah hm , I think afterall what i say in post #6 is what the task c wants us to do but we didnt calculate it correctly.

I think that ##\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}g^{\epsilon}(x)=0## think about it and tell me your thoughts. So that integral is 0.