Understanding 3D Solid Deformation: A Cube with No X-Direction Force

In summary, the block does not have a force in the x direction, so the strain in that direction is -1.00005 x10^-4.
DrVirz
Hi all,
Having some trouble getting the final answer on the question below, the fact that the cube doesn't have a force in the x direction is throwing me off. Once I fine the force(??) in the x-direction, I can just use the generalized Hooke's law to obtain strain? Any help is appreciated.

Homework Statement

Capture_zpsav4w8qd6.jpg

2. Equations in upload of solution.

See my solution for relevant equations.
http://[ATTACH=full]199721[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• bf1547f2-5bb8-42b3-871b-965c1fe23c4c_zps5mvmhhq7.jpg
    bf1547f2-5bb8-42b3-871b-965c1fe23c4c_zps5mvmhhq7.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the block is constrained in the x-direction, what is the strain in the x-direction? What does your first equation give you in this case?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
In the block is constrained in the x-direction, what is the strain in the x-direction? What does your first equation give you in this case?

Chet

So I am assuming Sigma(x) = 0, therefore, Strain(x) = -1.00005 x10^-4

However the question says to find the stress in the x-direction, which I have taken as 0?

Or, do I sub Epsilon(x) as 0 and therefore would be able to find Sigma(x) from the first equation? After second thought I think this is correct due to 0 deformation in the x direction hence strain is 0?

DrVirz said:
So I am assuming Sigma(x) = 0, therefore, Strain(x) = -1.00005 x10^-4

However the question says to find the stress in the x-direction, which I have taken as 0?
How can you say that the strain in the x direction is not zero, when the problem statement says that strain in the x direction is zero? What does the word "constrained" mean to you?

Chet

I realized this soon after I posted my previous response and edited it soon afterwards, it make sense now.

Due to the tensile force in the y direction and the compressive force in the z direction the block obviously expands in the z direction and contracts in the y direction? Therefore, shouldn't Epsilon(y) be negative and Epsilon(z) be positive. Is this done by changing the sign (+ or -) for the Sigma values in the generalised Hooke's law? I.E. Sigma(y) should in fact be -50MPa?

You can see the two different answers on either side of my page.
717d3a72-5a50-4632-aa33-2d243fc07cc9_zpscik2qcsj.jpg

You have a sign error in the calculation of the stress in the y direction. It should be negative.

Chet

Related to Understanding 3D Solid Deformation: A Cube with No X-Direction Force

1. What is 3D solid deformation?

3D solid deformation refers to the changes in shape, size, and orientation of an object in three-dimensional space due to external forces or stresses acting on it.

2. What are the different types of 3D solid deformation?

The different types of 3D solid deformation include stretching, shearing, bending, twisting, and compression.

3. How is 3D solid deformation measured?

3D solid deformation is measured using strain, which is the ratio of the change in length or angle of an object to its original length or angle.

4. What factors can affect 3D solid deformation?

Factors that can affect 3D solid deformation include the type and magnitude of external forces or stresses, the material properties of the object, and the geometry of the object.

5. How is 3D solid deformation analyzed and predicted?

3D solid deformation is analyzed and predicted using mathematical models, such as finite element analysis, which simulate the behavior of an object under different loading conditions and predict its deformation.