Mastering 3D Statics: How to Solve Moments and Forces for Bearings A and B

• Thread starter FissionChips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Moments
In summary, the problem involves a 200N force being applied to the handle of a hoist, with one bearing supporting the thrust and the other supporting only radial load. The goal is to determine the mass that can be supported, assuming neither bearing can support a moment about a line normal to the shaft axis. The attempt at a solution involves using a coordinate system and decomposing the force into its components, as well as computing the moment about the origin due to the force and weight. However, this method leads to two equations for the mass and results in an over-constrained solution.
FissionChips

Homework Statement

A 200N force is applied to the handle of the hoist in the direction shown. The bearing A supports the thrust (force in the direction of the shaft axis), while bearing B supports only radial load (load normal to the shaft axis). Determine the mass 'm' which can be supported Assume neither bearing to be capable of supporting a moment about a line normal to the shaft axis.

3186413086974b0fb107185eaf343ad7.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma M = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma F = 0[/tex]
[tex]M = r \times F[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I begin, I should start by saying that I realize the solution to this problem is very easy and that the way I'm doing it is needlessly complex. However, I do not understand why my method does not work.

I start by defining a coordinate system and an origin. This system uses the axes depicted in the figure, with the origin set at the point of connection of the handle arm and the shaft. Positive is defined as into the page, up, and right for the x, y, and z components, respectively. I will sum moments around the origin (connection to shaft). I will also use meters instead of millimeters.

Next, I decompose the 200 N force into it's respective components.
[tex]F_x = -70.71N[/tex]
[tex]F_y = -173.2N[/tex]
[tex]F_z = -70.71N[/tex]

As a vector,
[tex]<-70.71,-173.2,-70.71>[/tex]

Next, a position vector, 'r' from the origin to the point of application of the force is required.
[tex]<0.25,0,0.075>[/tex]

The moment about the origin due to the 200 N force is given by:
[tex]M_F = r_O \times F[/tex]

The resultant vector is
[tex]<13,12.37,-43.3>[/tex]

Next, I compute the moment about the origin due to the weight of mass 'm'. The position vector from the origin to the point of application is:
[tex]<-0.1,0,-0.35>[/tex]

The weight vector 'w' is:
[tex]<0,-9.81m,0>[/tex]

Finally, the moment about the origin by the weight is given by:
[tex]M_w = r_w \times w[/tex]

This produces the vector:
[tex]<-3.43m,0,0.981m>[/tex]

The sum of the moments must equal zero. So,
[tex]<13,12.37,-43.3> + <-3.43m,0,0.981m> = <0,0,0>[/tex]

Right away, two problems arise. Firstly, the 'y' or 'j' components result in a non-solution. 12.37 + 0 does not equal 0. Secondly, two equations for 'm' exist, and they are not redundant. In this case, 'm' is over-constrained.

I'm new to 3D statics and the text I'm using is strangely terse with respect to using this method. I should note that I've used this method on several problems before and have obtained the correct solution. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
FissionChips said:
The sum of the moments must equal zero.
No. The forces on the bearings can have moments about the origin - just not a moment about the z axis.

1. Why are my 3D moments not aligning with my desired object?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, check that you have correctly defined the coordinate system and orientation of your object. Also, make sure that the moments you are calculating are in the correct direction and that the magnitude is accurate. If both of these are correct, it could be an issue with the software or tool you are using for the calculations.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my 3D moments?

To improve accuracy, make sure to use precise measurements and double-check all inputs and calculations. Additionally, using more advanced software or techniques, such as finite element analysis, can greatly improve the accuracy of 3D moments.

3. Can I apply 3D moments to any object or structure?

Yes, 3D moments can be applied to any object or structure as long as the assumptions and equations used are appropriate for the specific object. However, the complexity of the object may affect the accuracy of the calculated moments.

4. How do I know if my 3D moments are physically realistic?

To ensure that your 3D moments are physically realistic, always cross-check your calculations with known physical principles and equations. Additionally, comparing your results to experimental data or real-world examples can help validate the accuracy of your moments.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating 3D moments?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. These include using incorrect units, not properly defining the coordinate system and orientation, and not considering all relevant forces and moments acting on the object. It's important to double-check all inputs and assumptions to avoid these common errors.