Derive an expression for the deflection between two forces

In summary, the problem involves two rods of equal length and different cross-sectional areas mounted between two rigid frames. These frames are pulled by a pair of forces at a distance x from the thin bar. The goal is to derive an expression for the elastic deflection between the two forces. After applying Hooke's Law and solving for the reactions in each rod, the correct solution is found to be δP = Pl/(AE) (1-2x/a+3x^2/2a^2).
cementite

Homework Statement

Two rods of the same material, of equal length l, and of cross section A and 2A respectively, are mounted between two rigid (i.e., nondeformable) cross frames. The frames are pulled by a pair of forces P, located at distance x from the thin bar. Derive an expression for the deflection between the two forces P, that is, for the elastic increase in distance between them.
http://imgur.com/a/SVZgS

Homework Equations

Hooke's Law[/B]
$$ s = E \frac{\delta}{l} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first of all I obtained the reactions in each rod:
$$\sum M = 0$$
$$-Px +R_2 a = 0$$
$$R_2 = \frac{Px}{a}$$
$$\sum F_y=0$$
$$-R_1 + P - R_2 =0$$
$$R_1 = P (1-\frac{x}{a})$$
According to Hooke's Law, δ will be for each force:
$$\frac{R_2}{2A}= \delta_2 \frac{E}{l}$$
$$\delta_2 = \frac{P l}{A E} \frac{x}{2a}$$
And similar ##\delta_1## will be
$$\delta_1 = \frac{Pl}{AE} (1- \frac{x}{a})$$
Then to obtain the elongation between the two forces, I propose the following relation (where I believe it's the error)
http://imgur.com/a/GTWT2
So according to my diagram:
$$\frac{\delta_1 + \delta_2}{a} = \frac{\delta_P + \delta_2}{a-x} $$
doing the algebra I end up with a wrong answer:
$$\delta_P = \frac{Pl}{AE} (1-\frac{2x}{a}+\frac{x^2}{2a^2})$$

The correct solution is something similar:
$$\delta_P = \frac{Pl}{AE} (1-\frac{2x}{a}+\frac{3x^2}{2a^2})$$
:oldgrumpy:
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get $$\delta_p=\delta_1+(\delta_2-\delta_1)\frac{x}{a}$$

Likes cementite
Hi Chestermiller thanks for your reply! It seems that I was confused about how it would be the deformation for this case...
By the way this is problem 3 from the book Strength of materials by Den Hartog.
Thanks again!

Related to Derive an expression for the deflection between two forces

1. What is the significance of deriving an expression for the deflection between two forces?

Deriving an expression for the deflection between two forces allows us to understand and predict the amount of displacement or bending that will occur in a structure or material when subjected to external forces. This is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps ensure the safety and stability of structures.

2. How do you derive an expression for the deflection between two forces?

The expression for deflection can be derived using principles of mechanics, specifically the equations of equilibrium and compatibility. It involves analyzing the forces acting on the structure and applying the appropriate equations to determine the displacement.

3. What factors affect the deflection between two forces?

The factors that affect deflection include the magnitude and direction of the forces, the material properties of the structure, and the geometry and boundary conditions of the structure. Other factors such as temperature and loading rate may also play a role.

4. Can the expression for deflection be applied to all types of structures?

The expression for deflection can be applied to most types of structures, as long as they behave in a linear elastic manner. This means that the material will return to its original shape after the forces are removed. However, for more complex structures or materials, more advanced analysis techniques may be required.

5. How can the expression for deflection be used in real-world applications?

The expression for deflection is used in various engineering and design applications, such as determining the strength and stability of structures, designing components to withstand external forces, and predicting the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. It is also useful in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with structures that experience excessive deflection.