Strain in Different Directions: Understanding Tensile Forces on Cubes

In summary, when a tensile force is applied in the x direction to a cube, it will decrease in size in the y and z directions. According to the notes, the strain in the x direction is calculated as εx = σxy / E, where σy is the normal stress in the y direction. It is uncertain if this equation is correct, as there are typos in the equations presented in the book. The equation εx = σx / E may make more sense, as the force is applied in the x direction. However, the accuracy of this equation cannot be confirmed due to errors in the book. The book should not be relied upon for accurate information.
chetzread

Homework Statement

the tensile force is applied at x direction to the cube , the cube will decrease in size in y and z direction , right ?
according to notes,
the strain in x direction εx = σxy/ E , where σy = normal stress in y direction , [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Which is correct ? I think the εx = σx / E make sense , so i think it's correct , because the force is applied in x direction .
Correct me if i am wrong

Attachments

• 380.PNG
    380.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Get rid of this horrible book. There are typos in 2 out of the 3 equations it presents on just this single page. I will no longer answer any questions about the information in this book.

Related to Strain in Different Directions: Understanding Tensile Forces on Cubes

1. What is strain in different directions?

Strain in different directions refers to the deformation or change in shape of an object when different forces are applied to it in different directions.

2. How is strain in different directions measured?

Strain in different directions can be measured using strain gauges, which are devices that can detect changes in length, width, and thickness of an object when subjected to forces in different directions.

3. What causes strain in different directions?

Strain in different directions is caused by the application of external forces on an object, such as tension, compression, or shear forces. These forces can cause the object to deform and change shape in different directions.

4. What are the effects of strain in different directions?

The effects of strain in different directions depend on the material properties of the object and the magnitude of the applied forces. In some cases, it can cause permanent deformation or failure of the object, while in others it may simply cause temporary changes in shape.

5. How can strain in different directions be minimized?

To minimize strain in different directions, engineers can design structures and objects that are able to withstand and distribute forces more evenly. This can be achieved through the use of appropriate materials, shapes, and reinforcement techniques.