Undergraduate Lab: Photoelectric Effect Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources and suggestions for an undergraduate lab experiment on the photoelectric effect or other quantum phenomena. One person suggests looking at online lab instructions for the photoelectric effect and mentions the spectroscopy lab using hydrogen discharge light source as another option.
arhanbezbora
hi, i was wondering if there were any websites or any links that talked about performing the photoelectric effect for an undergraduate lab? i have to come up with a proposal for an experiment and i was considering the photoelectric effect but didnt really know what would be needed in terms of materials and apparatus design. any help and advice would be appreciated. also, suggestions as to any other experiment that i could potentially do (preferably related to quantum phenomena) would be welcomed. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure about the photoelectric effect, but just finished J.J Thomson's q/m experiment. Nifty little setup, and not that complicated at all. Although, I did do it at school, with the apparatus provided by the school. There is loads of info on the web about J.J's discovery of his famous ratio. Another one that looks pretty neat, but have heard that it is tedious is Millikan's oil drop experiment. The experiment finally gave a value for the charge of the electron. There's quite a bit of info related to that one as well on the net. Have fun and good luck!

arhanbezbora said:
hi, i was wondering if there were any websites or any links that talked about performing the photoelectric effect for an undergraduate lab? i have to come up with a proposal for an experiment and i was considering the photoelectric effect but didnt really know what would be needed in terms of materials and apparatus design. any help and advice would be appreciated. also, suggestions as to any other experiment that i could potentially do (preferably related to quantum phenomena) would be welcomed. thank you

You could try looking at the online lab instructions for the photoelectric effect experiments. Several universities have those, so you may have to go googling around quite a bit. I know of one right away:

http://www.iit.edu/~bcps/database/frontend/resource_center/manuals/physics_223/Lab5-photoelectric.pdf

As for other experiments, the most common ones are the spectroscopy lab using hydrogen discharge light source and diffraction gratings to look at the discrete spectral lines. One can easily see 4 to 5 Balmer lines in such experiments, and match the wavelengths measured with the Rydberg formula.

Zz.

Related to Undergraduate Lab: Photoelectric Effect Experiment

Q1: What is the purpose of the photoelectric effect experiment?

The purpose of the photoelectric effect experiment is to demonstrate the phenomenon of the photoelectric effect, where light incident on a metal surface causes the emission of electrons. This experiment also aims to determine the relationship between the intensity of light and the number of electrons emitted.

Q2: What materials are needed for the undergraduate lab photoelectric effect experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment typically include a light source, a metal surface (e.g. zinc or copper), a power supply, an ammeter, a voltmeter, and a photoelectric cell. Additional materials such as lenses and filters may also be needed for more advanced experiments.

Q3: How is the photoelectric effect measured and quantified in this experiment?

The photoelectric effect is measured by the number of electrons emitted from the metal surface, which can be detected by the ammeter. The intensity of the light can also be measured using the voltmeter. By varying the intensity of light and measuring the corresponding current, a graph can be plotted to determine the relationship between the two variables.

Q4: What are some possible sources of error in the photoelectric effect experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include ambient light affecting the results, inaccuracies in the measurement devices, and imperfections in the metal surface. It is important to control for these variables and repeat the experiment multiple times to minimize any errors.

Q5: What are the practical applications of understanding the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, such as in solar panels, photocells, and photomultiplier tubes. It also plays a significant role in the development of quantum mechanics and has been used to study the properties of light and electrons. By understanding the photoelectric effect, we can also better understand the behavior of particles and electromagnetic radiation.