Diffraction accompanied with photoelectric effect

In summary: At the same time, some photons will have enough energy to eject electrons from the metal, causing the photoelectric effect. This experiment does not prove or disprove the wave-particle duality of light, as it is not possible to observe both phenomena simultaneously.
bgq
Hi,

I have read that light could either behave as waves or particles but not both at the same time.

What will happen if we perform the diffraction experiment, but replace the screen with a metal whose work function is small enough so electrons could be ejected from the metal? Do we see (using naked eye or any other device) the diffraction pattern, or photoelectric effect?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bgq said:
Hi,

I have read that light could either behave as waves or particles but not both at the same time.

What will happen if we perform the diffraction experiment, but replace the screen with a metal whose work function is small enough so electrons could be ejected from the metal? Do we see (using naked eye or any other device) the diffraction pattern, or photoelectric effect?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why this is an issue. The photons that hit the metal and didn't get through will be involved in the photoelectric effect, while the ones that do get through will be involved later at the screen to form the diffraction pattern. They are different photons involved in different phenomena.

This doesn't prove anything.

Zz.

As I see it: you cannot construct an experiment which _simultaneously_ detects the wave and particle aspects of the photon. Nor of the electron.

For some detailed analysis at an elementary level see Feynman's "Lectures on Physics", volume III, the first few chapters.

bgq said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

UltrafastPED said:
As I see it: you cannot construct an experiment which _simultaneously_ detects the wave and particle aspects of the photon. Nor of the electron.

I don't see how you can separate the wave and particle properties. A simple double slit experiment requires that both light and electrons behave in both ways. As a wave in order to get a diffraction pattern, and as a particle to be detected by the detectors.

ZapperZ said:
Not sure why this is an issue. The photons that hit the metal and didn't get through will be involved in the photoelectric effect, while the ones that do get through will be involved later at the screen to form the diffraction pattern. They are different photons involved in different phenomena.

This doesn't prove anything.

Zz.

Actually, it is not my intention to show any issue, I am just looking for the expected result of the proposed experiment. As I understand from you reply, both diffraction and photoelectric effect occur as some photons participate in the diffraction phenomenon while the others participate in the photoelectric effect, but no photon participate in both of them. Is this true?

bgq said:
Actually, it is not my intention to show any issue, I am just looking for the expected result of the proposed experiment. As I understand from you reply, both diffraction and photoelectric effect occur as some photons participate in the diffraction phenomenon while the others participate in the photoelectric effect, but no photon participate in both of them. Is this true?

Well, think about it. Presumably, you know what a photoelectric effect is, don't you. Do you think that in the photoelectric effect, the photon "survived" after it has been absorbed by the metal and the photoelectron is ejected? Look at Einstein photoelectric effect equation. Don't you see a violation in the conservation of energy in that equation if that photon goes on to participate in the diffraction phenomenon?

Zz.

Likes 1 person
bgq said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

You observe both phenomena.

They behave as a waves until they hit the detector where they behave as point particles, the distribution of which, forms the diffraction pattern.

Likes 1 person

Related to Diffraction accompanied with photoelectric effect

1. How does diffraction affect the photoelectric effect?

Diffraction is the bending of light as it passes through an aperture or around an obstacle. When light is diffracted, it spreads out into a pattern of dark and light regions. This can affect the photoelectric effect by changing the intensity and direction of the light hitting the material, which can alter the number of electrons that are emitted.

2. Can diffraction enhance the photoelectric effect?

Yes, diffraction can enhance the photoelectric effect by increasing the surface area of the material that is exposed to the light. This allows for more photons to interact with the material, resulting in a higher number of electrons being emitted.

3. Does the wavelength of light affect the diffraction and photoelectric effect?

Yes, the wavelength of light does affect both diffraction and the photoelectric effect. Shorter wavelengths of light, such as ultraviolet and x-rays, have higher energies and can cause more significant diffraction and increase the number of electrons emitted in the photoelectric effect.

4. What is the relationship between diffraction and the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light that can cause the photoelectric effect. Diffraction can change the intensity and direction of the light, but it does not change the frequency. Therefore, the threshold frequency remains the same regardless of diffraction.

5. Can diffraction and the photoelectric effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, both diffraction and the photoelectric effect can be observed in everyday life. Diffraction can be seen when light passes through a small opening, causing a diffraction pattern. The photoelectric effect is used in many technologies, such as photocells in solar panels and photomultiplier tubes in medical imaging devices.