Transmission Line, voltage drop

In summary, the conversation is about proving the approximate voltage drop for a line with resistance R and reactance X, supplying a load of P+jQ. The equation given is Vr = [RP+XQ]/Vs, but the solution seems incorrect due to units not matching. The person is seeking help and apologizes for the mistake.
stickman!

Homework Statement

Prove that for a line having resistance R, and reactance X, and supplying load of P+jQ has an approximate voltage drop of:

Vr = [RP+XQ]/Vs

Homework Equations

none given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a diagram, with R, X, and P+jQ in series. Vr is the potential drop across the load, and Vs is the supplying voltage. I've tried every method, but it doesn't turn out to be the given answer. I've covered two pages worth of pointless calculations, and it just doesn't seem to work out.

help me as soon as possible.

-peace
stickman!

Physics news on Phys.org
stickman! said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for a line having resistance R, and reactance X, and supplying load of P+jQ has an approximate voltage drop of:

Vr = [RP+XQ]/Vs

Homework Equations

none given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a diagram, with R, X, and P+jQ in series. Vr is the potential drop across the load, and Vs is the supplying voltage. I've tried every method, but it doesn't turn out to be the given answer. I've covered two pages worth of pointless calculations, and it just doesn't seem to work out.

help me as soon as possible.

-peace
stickman!

Welcome to the PF. I think there must be a typo in your "solution" equation:

Vr = [RP+XQ]/Vs

If I interpret your variables correctly, you are saying that units of Volts^2 = units of Ohms^2

Doesn't look right...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. I think there must be a typo in your "solution" equation:

Vr = [RP+XQ]/Vs

If I interpret your variables correctly, you are saying that units of Volts^2 = units of Ohms^2

Doesn't look right...

i'll look over it, but that's what it says on the question paper.

thank you for pointing it out, i should've noticed this ! :p

-peace
stickman!

Related to Transmission Line, voltage drop

What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is an electrical circuit that is used to transfer power from one point to another. It consists of two or more conductors that are separated by a dielectric material and can be either overhead lines or underground cables.

What is voltage drop in a transmission line?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs as electrical current flows through a transmission line. This drop in voltage is due to the resistance of the line, which causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat.

What factors affect voltage drop in a transmission line?

The factors that affect voltage drop in a transmission line include the length of the line, the diameter of the conductors, the type of material used for the conductors, the temperature of the line, and the amount of current flowing through the line.

Why is voltage drop important in transmission lines?

Voltage drop is important in transmission lines because it affects the efficiency and reliability of the electrical system. If the voltage drop is too high, it can cause excessive heat and potential damage to the equipment. It can also result in a decrease in the power delivered to the end user.

How is voltage drop calculated in a transmission line?

Voltage drop in a transmission line can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage drop is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance of the line. Other factors such as the length and diameter of the line as well as the type of material used for the conductors also need to be taken into consideration when calculating voltage drop.