Electrical Engineering, power system, transmission line

In summary: MW and a maximum boundary power limit for static stability of 100 MW.In summary, the discussion revolved around determining the maximum power that can be transmitted through a 400 kV transmission line with a length of 500 km and 0.4 Ω/km reactance, while keeping the power angle limited to 25 degrees and maintaining static stability. It was determined that without knowing the sending end voltage or load information, the problem cannot be solved accurately. However, assuming equal magnitude for both voltages, the maximum power transmission was calculated to be 50 MW and the maximum boundary power limit for static stability was found to be 100 MW.
louisnach

Homework Statement

A 400 kV transmission line has a length of 500 km and a reactance of 0,4 Ω/km. How much power can you transmit, if the power angle (the angle between the voltages of the beginning and the end) is limited to 25 degrees? What would then be the line’s boundary power limit for static stability ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, in the lecture we have a formula that give P =(Vs*Vend)*sin(power angle)/Z
where Z is the impedance of the line so i guess it is 500*0.4 reactance, Vs i=400kV (source voltage) but in the problem i don't have Vend voltage at the end of the line, how can i solve the probleme without knowing that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vs and Vend are the magnitude of voltage. So what is the voltage drop across the line?

Hint, look at the given impedance of the line. V=IZ

donpacino said:
Vs and Vend are the magnitude of voltage. So what is the voltage drop across the line?

Hint, look at the given impedance of the line. V=IZ
This problem can't be solved without knowing the sending end voltage. The given 400kV is the receiving end voltage.

However, I believe OP can assume both the voltages to be equal in magnitude (which is mostly the case in practice, thanks to VAR compensation).

The end voltage CAN be solved for with the given material.

Here is a hint.
Given the impedance of the transmission line, what is the voltage drop across the line (in magnitude).

cnh1995 said:
However, I believe OP can assume both the voltages to be equal in magnitude
another hint, you don't need to assume

donpacino said:
what is the voltage drop across the line (in magnitude).
How can we determine it without knowing the current? There is no information about the load that is connected to the receiving end.

cnh1995 said:
How can we determine it without knowing the current? There is no information about the load that is connected to the receiving end.
the magnitude of the voltage loss will not change because there is no resistive element. therefore the voltage drop will always be zero

donpacino said:
the magnitude of the voltage loss will not change because there is no resistive element. therefore the voltage drop will always be zero
No.
What about the I*XL drop across inductive reactance of the line? This is why you need series compensation in the line.

Absence of resistance means no power loss in the line. But that doesn't mean both the voltages are equal in magnitude. Without knowing anything about the load (pf and MVA) or the sending end voltage, this problem can't be solved. Or OP can simply assume a flat voltage profile (as a result of compensation, which is not mentioned).

cnh1995 said:
No.
What about the I*XL drop across inductive reactance of the line? This is why you need series compensation in the line.

Absence of resistance means no power loss in the line. But that doesn't mean both the voltages are equal in magnitude. Without knowing anything about the load (pf and MVA) or the sending end voltage, this problem can't be solved. Or OP can simply assume a flat voltage profile (as a result of compensation, which is not mentioned).
Im talking about the absolute magnitude, not instantaneous magnitude, which are the voltages listed in the equation. I should have clarified.

Thanks for your replies of both of you, i think indeed we have to consider same magnitude so by using the formula it is just (Vs*Vs)/(500*0.4)*sin(25 degrees),

Related to Electrical Engineering, power system, transmission line

1. What is the role of an electrical engineer in power systems?

An electrical engineer plays a crucial role in designing, maintaining, and operating power systems. They are responsible for ensuring a safe and reliable supply of electricity to homes, businesses, and industries. They also work on improving the efficiency and sustainability of power systems.

2. How do power systems distribute electricity to consumers?

Power systems use transmission lines to transfer electricity from power plants to distribution networks. These networks then deliver electricity to homes and businesses through distribution lines. Transformers are used to step down the voltage for safe consumption.

3. What are the main components of a power transmission line?

The main components of a power transmission line are conductors (wires), insulators, towers or poles, and transformers. Conductors are used to carry the electricity, while insulators prevent it from leaking to the ground. Towers or poles support the conductors, and transformers are used to regulate the voltage.

4. How is power transported over long distances through transmission lines?

Power is transported over long distances through transmission lines using high-voltage direct current (HVDC) technology. HVDC systems convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) for more efficient and lossless transmission over long distances. At the receiving end, the DC is converted back to AC for distribution.

5. What are some challenges faced by power systems and how do electrical engineers address them?

Some challenges faced by power systems include aging infrastructure, increasing demand for electricity, and integrating renewable energy sources. Electrical engineers address these challenges by designing and implementing modernization plans, developing more efficient systems, and integrating advanced technologies for renewable energy integration and grid stability.