50 Hz High-Voltage Transmission Line

In summary: A - 1 \right) \left( A - j A_2 \right)I_s^*##In summary, the power absorbed by the transmission line is 77325.22 watts and the power lost is -377627.8609 watts.
Joe85
Homework Statement
Figure shows a 50 Hz, high-voltage, transmission line. The relationships between the sending and receiving end voltages and currents are given by the complex ABCD equations:
Relevant Equations
VS=VR(A1+jA2)+IR(B1+jB2)

IS=VR(C1+jC2)+IR(D1+jD2)

Given the parameter values in TABLE C and an open-circuit received voltage measured as 88.9 kV, calculate the values of VS and IS and hence the power (PSO) absorbed from the supply by the transmission line on open circuit.

VR= 88.9×103

Table C Values:
A1 = 0.8698
A2 = 0.03542
B1 = 47.94Ω
B2 = 180.8Ω
C1 = 0 S
C2 = 0.001349 S
D1 = 0.8698
D2 = 0.03542

Transmission Line is Open Circuit, thus:

IR = 0Hi all,

I seem to be coming up with the correct answer but I'm getting a negative value for PSO. Just wanted to be sure I'm not making an error with my numbers.

IR = 0

VS=VR(A1+jA2)+IR(B1+jB2)
∴ VS=VR(A1+jA2)
∴ VS= 88.9×103(0.8698 +J 0.03542)
VS = 77325.22 + J3148.838 Volts

And:

IS=VR(C1+jC2)+IR(D1+jD2)
∴ IS=VR(C1+jC2)
∴ IS= 88.9×103(0 + J0.001349)
IS= J119.9261 Amps

PSO = Re{VSIS*}
∴ PSO = Re{(77325.22 + J3148.838)(J119.9261)
= J9273312.066 + J2377627.8609
= (-1)*377627.8609 + J9273312.066
= -377627.8609 Watts

I've seen that other answers using a similar method are positive, does this mean i disregard it being a negative value as it's a 'Total Power absorbed' so must a positive quantity?

Any help much appreciated.

Joe.

Physics news on Phys.org
I note that you didn't incorporate the received voltage in your calculation of the power lost. Are you really supposing that the entire source voltage is being "lost" along the trip to the receiving end?

Secondly, when you calculated the power you indicated that the complex conjugate of the current should be used. I didn't see that happen in the next line.

Likes jim mcnamara
Joe85 said:
I've seen that other answers using a similar method are positive, does this mean i disregard it being a negative value as it's a 'Total Power absorbed' so must a positive quantity?
No, you can't ignore the sign. Power absorbed implies a positive value absorbed (how you adapt your analysis method to arrive at that value is up to you).

In your analysis you didn't take the complex conjugate of the current when you solved for the (complex) power. I think you'll find that that will account for your sign discrepancy.

Likes Joe85
CONJUGATE(IS)=-J119.9261

PSO = Re{√3(77325.22 + J3148.838)(-J119.9261)

Likes Joe85
gneill said:
I note that you didn't incorporate the received voltage in your calculation of the power lost. Are you really supposing that the entire source voltage is being "lost" along the trip to the receiving end?

Secondly, when you calculated the power you indicated that the complex conjugate of the current should be used. I didn't see that happen in the next line.
Doh, sorry Gneill. That's what i get for copy and pasting!

PS= Re{VSIS*}

I didn't get as PSO (which i assume will be the result of PR - PS? S & R being Sending and receiving?)

And would PR = Re{VRIS*} ?

You're looking for the power absorbed by the transmission line, so you want to work with the voltage dropped across the transmission line. Think of it like a very long resistor. You want the power absorbed by that resistor, so you don't just take the potential at one end.

Not that it's critical here, but note that long transmission lines can have not only resistance, but inductance and capacitance too. So don't be surprised if the open-ended received voltage is actually higher than the transmitted voltage! Think about what can happen with a resonant circuit.

gneill said:
You're looking for the power absorbed by the transmission line, so you want to work with the voltage dropped across the transmission line. Think of it like a very long resistor. You want the power absorbed by that resistor, so you don't just take the potential at one end.

Not that it's critical here, but note that long transmission lines can have not only resistance, but inductance and capacitance too. So don't be surprised if the open-ended received voltage is actually higher than the transmitted voltage! Think about what can happen with a resonant circuit.

There’s so little in the learning materials to go on here.

isn’t A1+jA2 the reverse voltage gain. So

(A1+jA2)2/ ( VS2/P) would equal the power absorbed?

Joe85 said:
isn’t A1+jA2 the reverse voltage gain. So

(A1+jA2)2/ ( VS2/P) would equal the power absorbed?
What's P in that equation?

Sorry it was PS from post 5. Or 378KW.

Let's take a look at the units in your equation. The A's are unitless, Vs would be volts and P is VA. So:

##\frac{1^2}{\frac{V^2}{V A}} = \frac{A}{V} = \frac{1}{\Omega}##

That's not a power.

Consider this. The voltage change across the transmission line is:

##\Delta V = V_S - V_R##

and in this case since ##I_R = 0## you can write ##V_S = A V_R## where ##A = A_1 + j A_2##. Then:

##\Delta V = \left( A - 1 \right) V_r##

The complex power lost becomes:

##p = \Delta V I_s^* = \left( A - 1 \right) V_r I_s^*##

Thanks gneill, I'm eternally grateful thus far, but why can't we just carry out the subtraction for VS-VR since we know what both VS and VR are? And then insert this into the power absorbed equation?

Joe85 said:
Thanks gneill, I'm eternally grateful thus far, but why can't we just carry out the subtraction for VS-VR since we knoiw what both VS and VR are? And then insert this into the power absorbed equation?
You certainly can! That's how I originally did it myself when I worked your problem through. I just thought that your idea of using the A term was interesting and sought to show how it might work.

The thing you were missing in your original attempt was that you used the entire sending voltage in your power loss calculation. Not all of the sending voltage is dropped on the transmission line. It's the end to end ##\Delta V## across the line that represents the power lost.

So having quickly whacked the figures into Symbolab Calc on my phone, the PSO = 377627.86 Watts or 378KW. So the answer was correct but the method wrong, hence what you were saying about the entire source being lost?

Joe85 said:
So having quickly whacked the figures into Symbolab Calc on my phone, the PSO = 377627.86 Watts or 378KW. So the answer was correct but the method wrong, hence what you were saying about the entire source being lost?
Yup.

Likes Joe85
gneill said:
Yup.
Thank you gneill. You’ve been a real gent.

I'm happy that I could help!

Likes Joe85

Related to 50 Hz High-Voltage Transmission Line

1. What is a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line?

A 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line is an electrical infrastructure used to transport electricity at a frequency of 50 Hertz (Hz) and a high voltage level. This type of transmission line is commonly used in power grids and is essential for distributing electricity from power plants to homes and businesses.

2. How does a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line work?

A 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line works by using high-voltage alternating current (AC) to transport electricity over long distances. The electricity is generated at a power plant and then stepped up to a high voltage level, typically between 138,000 to 765,000 volts, to reduce energy losses during transmission. The electricity is then transported through overhead or underground transmission lines to distribution transformers, which step down the voltage for use in homes and businesses.

3. What are the benefits of using a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line?

There are several benefits to using a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line. Firstly, high voltage transmission reduces energy losses during transportation, making it a more efficient method of delivering electricity. Additionally, 50 Hz is the standard frequency used in most countries, allowing for easier interconnection and integration of different power systems. Lastly, high-voltage transmission lines can transport large amounts of electricity over long distances, making it possible to supply electricity to areas far away from power plants.

4. Are there any risks associated with a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line?

There are potential risks associated with a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line, including electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and visual impacts. EMFs are a type of radiation emitted by high-voltage power lines, which have been linked to health concerns. However, the World Health Organization has stated that there is no conclusive evidence of adverse health effects from exposure to EMFs. Additionally, high-voltage transmission lines can be visually intrusive, but measures such as undergrounding or careful placement can mitigate this impact.

5. How is the safety of a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line ensured?

The safety of a 50 Hz high-voltage transmission line is ensured through various measures and regulations. These include strict design and construction standards, regular maintenance and inspections, and safety protocols for workers. In addition, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has established safety standards for high-voltage transmission lines, which are followed by most countries. Furthermore, public access to high-voltage transmission lines is restricted, and warning signs are posted to alert people of potential hazards.