Transitive Closure of Binary Relation T on A={0,1,2,3}

In summary, T is a binary relation defined on A = {0, 1, 2, 3}. The transitive closure of T is the binary relation Tt on A that satisfies the following three properties: 1. Tt is transitive. 2. T is a subset of Tt. 3. If S is any other transitive relation that contains T, then Tt is a subset of S. T^t = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1), (0,3), (3,0), (2,1), (1,2), (1,3), (0,1), (2,0),
hansel13

Homework Statement

T is a binary relation defined on A = {0, 1, 2, 3}.

Let T = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1)}

Find T^t, the transitive closure of T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to skip using commas cause it takes to long

02 23 = 03
31 10 = 30
23 31 = 21
10 02 = 12
12 23 = 13
02 21 = 01
23 30 = 20
31 12 = 32

So, T^t = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1), (0,3), (3,0), (2,1), (1,2), (1,3), (0,1), (2,0), (3,2)}

Pretty sure this is right, if someone could let me know if I did anything wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hansel13! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
hansel13 said:
Pretty sure this is right, if someone could let me know if I did anything wrong, I'd appreciate it.

You've made it really long.

Hint: how many pairs are there in A? And how many are there in Tt? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi hansel13! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

You've made it really long.

Hint: how many pairs are there in A? And how many are there in Tt? :wink:

4 pairs in A. So 8 in Tt? I still fail to follow...

i don't totally understand the question, but looking at your equivalence realtion, along with Tiny Tim's comments:

first, there's more than 4 pairs that can be made from A, & more than 8 in T^t

Let T = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1)}
then the way i read it, following through T gives: 0~2~3~1, so everything is equivalent in the transitive closure (ie contains all binary pairs)...?

hansel13 said:
4 pairs in A. So 8 in Tt? I still fail to follow...

uhh? you found 12 in Tt.

And A has 4 elements, so how many different pairs of elements are there (counting, for example, {0,3} and {3,0} as the same pair).

(if you can't calculate it, then just list them :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
uhh? you found 12 in Tt.

And A has 4 elements, so how many different pairs of elements are there (counting, for example, {0,3} and {3,0} as the same pair).

(if you can't calculate it, then just list them :wink:)

Sorry, meant 12 elements in Tt

I still don't follow. Why would {0,3} and {3,0} be the same?

OK By defintion:
The transitive closure of T is the binary relation Tt on A that satisfies the following three properties:
1. Tt is transitive.
2. T is a subset of Tt.
3. If S is any other transitive relation that contains T, then Tt is a subset of S.

So doesn't T^t = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1), (0,3), (3,0), (2,1), (1,2), (1,3), (0,1), (2,0), (3,2)}?

if T is a symmetric binary relation then it satisfies
a~b iff b~a
so in that case (0,3) = (3,0)

hansel13 said:
So doesn't T^t = {(0,2), (1,0), (2,3), (3,1), (0,3), (3,0), (2,1), (1,2), (1,3), (0,1), (2,0), (3,2)}?

What about (0,0), (1,1), (2,2) and (3,3)? :wink:

(remember, a relation can be something like "=")
I still don't follow. Why would {0,3} and {3,0} be the same?

Sorry, I shouldn't have added that …

when you didn't answer my original question, I got confused and thought this was defined as a symmetric relation (which it wasn't).

Let's start again …

How many elements are there in Tt? And how many in A x A? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
What about (0,0), (1,1), (2,2) and (3,3)? :wink:

(remember, a relation can be something like "=")

Sorry, I shouldn't have added that …

when you didn't answer my original question, I got confused and thought this was defined as a symmetric relation (which it wasn't).

Let's start again …

How many elements are there in Tt? And how many in A x A? :smile:

Well I thought there are 12 elements in Tt. And 16 in A x A.

But I guess if we add (0,0),(1,1),(2,2),(3,3) then Tt would have 16 elements as well?

So there are 16 elements in Tt?

hansel13 said:
So there are 16 elements in Tt?

Yup! :biggrin:

So Tt is the whole of AxA …

now can you see a way of proving that, quicker than just listing all the elements? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:

So Tt is the whole of AxA …

now can you see a way of proving that, quicker than just listing all the elements? :wink:

I guess since there's 4 pairs in T^t and 4 pairs in A, we'd need 16 pairs to have full closure.

thanks

Related to Transitive Closure of Binary Relation T on A={0,1,2,3}

What is the definition of transitive closure of a binary relation?

The transitive closure of a binary relation on a set A is the smallest transitive relation that contains the original relation. This means that if (a,b) and (b,c) are in the original relation, then (a,c) must also be in the transitive closure.

How is the transitive closure of a binary relation computed?

The transitive closure of a binary relation T on a set A can be computed by repeatedly applying the composition operation to T. This means taking all pairs (a,b) in T and then adding any pairs (a,c) where (c,b) is also in T. This process is repeated until no new pairs can be added.

What is the purpose of finding the transitive closure of a binary relation?

The transitive closure of a binary relation is useful in understanding the transitive properties of a relation. It can help identify indirect relationships between elements in a set and can be used to simplify certain mathematical proofs.

Does the transitive closure of a binary relation always exist?

Yes, the transitive closure of a binary relation always exists. This is because it is defined as the smallest transitive relation containing the original relation, and there is always a unique smallest set that satisfies this definition.

How is the transitive closure of a binary relation represented?

The transitive closure of a binary relation is typically represented as a directed acyclic graph (DAG) or a matrix. In the DAG representation, each element in the set A is a node, and there is an edge between two nodes if there is a relationship between them in the transitive closure. In the matrix representation, a 1 in the (i,j) position indicates that there is a relationship between the ith and jth element in the set A.