Equivalence Classes in PxP for (1,2)

In summary: Your notation looks good and your steps are clear. Good job!In summary, we need to show that (m,n)\approx(p,q) is an equivalence relation on PxP by demonstrating the reflexive, symmetric, and transitive properties. We can do this by checking specific pairs and seeing if they satisfy these properties. Three elements in the equivalence class for (1,2) are (3,6), (4,8), and (5,10).
mamma_mia66

Homework Statement

On set PxP, define (m,n)[tex]\approx[/tex](p,q) if m*q=p*n
Show that [tex]\approx[/tex] is an equivalence relation on PxP and list three elements in equivalence class for (1,2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will appreciate any help how to start this problem. I now I have to show R, S and T properties, but I am confused from the notation above m*q=p*n

do I have to start with listing some pairs like
(0,0) (0,1) (1,0) (0,2) (1,1) (2,0) (0,3) (1,2) (2,1) (3,0) ...

Physics news on Phys.org
For reflexive, show that (m, n) ~ (m, n) is true. For symmetric, show that if (m, n) ~ (p, q) then (p, q) ~ (m, n). Just check these explicitly to see if they work out.

How is that?

Reflexive: b/c m*n=m*n then (m,n)[tex]\approx[/tex](m,n)

Symmetric: if (m,n)[tex]\approx[/tex](p,q)

then m*q=p*n and p*n=m*q

=> (p,q)[tex]\approx[/tex](m,n)

Transitive: if (m,n) [tex]\approx[/tex](p,q) and (p,q)[tex]\approx[/tex](r,s)

then m*q=p*n and p*s=r*q

m/n=p/q and p/q=r/s

m/n=r/s

m*s=r*n

(m,n)[tex]\approx[/tex](r,s)

the three elements:
(1,2)= (3,6) (1,2)= (4,8) (1,2)= (5,10)

Looks fine to me.

Related to Equivalence Classes in PxP for (1,2)

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements in a set. It states that these elements are equivalent to each other under certain conditions, typically represented by an equality sign. In other words, the elements are considered "equal" in some way.

2. What are the three properties of an equivalence relation?

The three properties of an equivalence relation are reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element is related to itself. Symmetry means that if elements A and B are related, then B and A are also related. Transitivity means that if elements A and B are related, and B and C are related, then A and C are also related.

3. How is an equivalence relation different from an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a more general concept than an equality relation. While an equality relation only states that two elements are exactly the same, an equivalence relation allows for different elements to be considered "equal" under certain conditions. For example, in geometry, two triangles with different dimensions can still be considered "equal" if they have the same shape and angles.

4. What are some real-life examples of equivalence relations?

Some real-life examples of equivalence relations include:

• Equivalence of nationality or citizenship - individuals from the same country are considered "equal" in terms of their nationality.
  • Equivalence of marital status - individuals who are married are considered "equal" in terms of their legal status.
  • Equivalence of academic degrees - individuals with the same degree (e.g. Bachelor's, Master's) are considered "equal" in terms of their level of education.

5. How are equivalence relations useful in mathematics and science?

Equivalence relations are useful in mathematics and science because they allow us to classify and organize elements in a set based on their similarities and differences. This can help us identify patterns and make connections between seemingly unrelated elements. Additionally, equivalence relations can be used to prove theorems and solve problems in various mathematical and scientific fields.