Can R be a subset of S and still not have the same reflexivity as S?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving three statements related to relations on a set, specifically focusing on reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. The speaker understands the definitions but is unsure how to specify the conditions and asks for help. An attempt is made on proving the first statement, but a counterexample is provided for reflexivity. The expert then clarifies the concept of a subset and how it relates to the proof, and suggests making R reflexive on the entire set to prove the statement.
tn0c
Hi, this is my first time posting here, and I am trying to prove the following proofs and I do not know how to start:

Suppose R and S are relations on set A

1. If R is reflexive and R is a subset of S, then S is reflexive.
2. If R is symmetric and R is a subset of S, then S is symmetric.
3. If R is transitive and R is a subset of S, then S is transitive.

I understand the definitions well enough, but I do not know how to specify these conditions.
I am not certain that any of these are true. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Attempt on #1:

Assume R is reflexive
Assume R is a subset of S.

Since R is reflexive, for all x in R, xRx ---> xRx
and since R is a subset of S, all x in R is in S as well.

Thus x in S, xSx ---> xSx (this is the step I am not sure of, nor do I know if I have anything else to work off of.)

Therefore S is reflexive. The other two questions I set up the same way, but I use the other definitions. It definitely is not enough, and in the original problem it states (prove or show counterexample). So I am wondering if this is suitable.

1. let R, S be relations on A
R= { (1,1) (2,2) (1,2) (2,1)}
S= { (1,1) (2,2) (1,2) (2,1) (1,3) (2,3) (3,2) (3,1)}

Clearly R is reflexive and R is in S. But S is not reflexive as it does not contain (3,3).

So for reflexivity at least this does not seem to be true. I am however trying to figure out if that is the case for symmetric and transitive.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tn0c said:
Hi, this is my first time posting here, and I am trying to prove the following proofs and I do not know how to start:

Suppose R and S are relations on set A

1. If R is reflexive and R is a subset of S, then S is reflexive.
2. If R is symmetric and R is a subset of S, then S is symmetric.
3. If R is transitive and R is a subset of S, then S is transitive.

I understand the definitions well enough, but I do not know how to specify these conditions.
I am not certain that any of these are true. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Attempt on #1:

Assume R is reflexive
Assume R is a subset of S.

Since R is reflexive, for all x in R, xRx ---> xRx
and since R is a subset of S, all x in R is in S as well.

Thus x in S, xSx ---> xSx (this is the step I am not sure of, nor do I know if I have anything else to work off of.)

Therefore S is reflexive.

The other two questions I set up the same way, but I use the other definitions. It definitely is not enough, and in the original problem it states (prove or show counterexample). So I am wondering if this is suitable.

1. let R, S be relations on A
R= { (1,1) (2,2) (1,2) (2,1)}
S= { (1,1) (2,2) (1,2) (2,1) (1,3) (2,3) (3,2) (3,1)}

Clearly R is reflexive and R is in S. But S is not reflexive as it does not contain (3,3).

So for reflexivity at least this does not seem to be true. I am however trying to figure out if that is the case for symmetric and transitive.

You are missing the sense of the 'subset'. R is a subset of AxA, i.e. ordered pairs (x,y) where x is in A and y is in A. If A={1,2,3} then your example for R isn't reflexive either. It's not reflexive on A={1,2,3}. It's only reflexive on the subset of A, {1,2}. That's not A. Make R reflexive on {1,2,3} and then say why if R is a subset of S as a set of ordered pairs, then S is reflexive.

Related to Can R be a subset of S and still not have the same reflexivity as S?

1. What is the difference between a relation and a subset?

A relation is a set of ordered pairs that show the relationship between two sets. A subset is a set that contains elements from another set. In other words, a subset is a smaller set within a larger set, whereas a relation is a way of expressing the connection between two sets.

2. How do you determine if one set is a subset of another?

To determine if one set is a subset of another, you must check if all the elements of the first set are also present in the second set. If this is true, then the first set is a subset of the second set. If even one element is missing, then the first set is not a subset of the second set.

3. What is a proper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that contains fewer elements than the original set. In other words, a proper subset is a subset that is not equal to the original set. For example, if set A={1,2,3} and set B={1,2}, then set B is a proper subset of set A.

4. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is known as a reflexive subset. In this case, all the elements in the subset are also present in the original set. For example, if set A={1,2,3}, then A is a subset of itself.

5. How are relations and subsets related in mathematics?

Relations and subsets are related in that a subset can be represented as a relation. This is because a subset is a way of showing the relationship between two sets, and a relation is also a way of expressing the connection between two sets. Additionally, a subset can be represented as a type of relation known as an inclusion relation, where the first set is a subset of the second set.