Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,881
Ibix said:
It would also help if the traffic on the road were alive to the possibility of a mis-timed emerge instead of blasting along at 45 right next to a queue of stationary traffic and with an empty lane to his right...
Yes. I get very suspicious blasting along in a full lane next to a stopped lane.

Not just vehicles turning into traffic, but often simply vehicles in the stopped lane getting impatient and pulling out of the stopped lane.

My sister got zapped by this a while back. Totalled her car (she was fine). She acted like it wasn't her fault and that there was nothing she could have done. She was correct on the former but wrong on the latter.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and DaveE
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,882
Ibix said:
However, the problem is that the guy emerging can be stuck there forever if the queue in the left turn lane is replenished too quickly.
Or, he could turn right and go around to a better intersection to turn left from. Next time he can choose a better route. Then, he could write a letter to the powers that be to fix the traffic flow.

Likes BillTre, jack action, OmCheeto and 2 others
  • #5,883
DaveE said:
Then, he could write a letter to the powers that be to fix the traffic flow.
...or just throw the letter in the bin, if the usual level of responsiveness of road planners on your side of the pond is the same as on ours...

• #5,884
Ibix said:
...or just throw the letter in the bin, if the usual level of responsiveness of road planners on your side of the pond is the same as on ours...
Yes, LOL. They already know.

• #5,885
"Three 'rights make a left;'" you/he'll know better next time through the intersection.

• #5,886
Ibix said:
I generally agree. However, the problem is that the guy emerging can be stuck there forever if the queue in the left turn lane is replenished too quickly. So he may have to take an offered opportunity eventually. Of course, he should do so cautiously and creep-and-check out into the road - but because he wants to be nice to the guy who was nice to him he might skip that bit to emerge quicker, and that's when the trouble starts.

It would also help if the traffic on the road were alive to the possibility of a mis-timed emerge instead of blasting along at 45 right next to a queue of stationary traffic and with an empty lane to his right...
I got a couple of "skepticals" to this. In the UK, the example in the cartoon is, I think, covered by rule 173 of the Highway Code, which says to treat crossing the first carriageway and emerging onto the second one as the same as crossing one road and emerging onto a second. So there's nothing wrong with crossing to the gap in the central reservation (if your tail doesn't block the first carriageway) and then emerging on to the second carriageway just as you would emerge from a side road onto a main road with restricted view "upstream": carefully creep until you can see, giving plenty of time for vehicles on the main road to react. It would probably be better to wait for the queue to clear so you can see, but if that isn't happening any time soon it's not actually contrary to the rules of the road to go to the central reservation and emerge with care. At least, it's not contrary to the rules as written - you should certainly take the "assume the other guy's an idiot/assassin" advice in practice, and not only in this situation.

The same rule may not apply in your country (in fact, I'm pretty sure the rules are different in some places), so you may have different pressures.

And, of course, I am not a lawyer - I only play one on the internet.

• #5,887
And now, for something completely different…

… I wonder what that lava looked like. Would it appear any different than a more typical lava?

• Informative
Likes strangerep
  • #5,888
In Detroit the automobile companies had the leverage to dictate the layout of roads. As far as the main streets are concerned there are no left turns. To get the same effect, turn right. There is then a special U turn lane on your left.

At Taipei stoplights there is a special arrangement for the numerous motorbikes. No left turn. Turn right. At the head of the stopped waiting traffic there is a painted box reserved for motorbikes. Enter that, turn your bike around and you are ready to go straight. (Taipei is a very orderly place. It is dominated by the progeny of bureaucrats who fled the Communists. The defeated army escaped to the Golden Triangle where their descendants grow opium poppies. Violence-based order.)

Likes BillTre
  • #5,889
Hornbein said:
In Detroit the automobile companies had the leverage to dictate the layout of roads. As far as the main streets are concerned there are no left turns. To get the same effect, turn right. There is then a special U turn lane.
Yes, the famous "Michigan left". My experience when I lived in southeast Michigan was that it didn't really save any time, because you ended up waiting in the U turn lane for an opening at least as long as you would have waited to make an ordinary left turn.

• #5,890
PeterDonis said:
Yes, the famous "Michigan left". My experience when I lived in southeast Michigan was that it didn't really save any time, because you ended up waiting in the U turn lane for an opening at least as long as you would have waited to make an ordinary left turn.
But while you wait you aren't blocking traffic.

• #5,891
Hornbein said:
But while you wait you aren't blocking traffic.
Not on the original road you would have made a left on, no. But you might well end up blocking traffic on the other road when you find out that the U turn lane is backed up. I had that experience plenty of times.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,892
Ibix said:
treat crossing the first carriageway and emerging onto the second one as the same as crossing one road and emerging onto a second.
Which leads to my pet peeve #2:
People that don't understand how to use the center turning lane, or why it's there if someone else wants to use it.
1715725368320.png

Likes BillTre
  • #5,893
DaveE said:
If you have the right of way, you have an obligation to use it.
My ex once decided to stay stopped when the stoplight turned green and instead waved on another car in an oncoming lane that was waiting to turn left across our path. Five to ten seconds of total confusion for everyone. Unbelievable...

Likes BillTre
  • #5,894
Here in Southern California some (many, not all) drivers have begun to delay starting when a traffic light turns Green.

At first I thought this might have been a courtesy to the opposing traffic waiting to make a left turn.

Further reflection/experience highlighted a more likely reason:
They are waiting to avoid the cross-traffic drivers that try to 'Beat the Red Light' by speeding up... and barrelling through it! :eek:

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #5,895
Hornbein said:
To get the same effect, turn right. There is then a special U turn lane on your left.

I saw this when I lived in New Orleans. I assimed it was a French thing.

Tom.G said:
Further reflection/experience highlighted a more likely reason:
They are waiting to avoid the cross-traffic drivers that try to 'Beat the Red Light' by speedin

Again, this too in New Orleans.

• #5,896
Tom.G said:
They are waiting to avoid the cross-traffic drivers that try to 'Beat the Red Light' by speeding up... and barrelling through it!
On one occasion my wife would have been hit by a driver doing that if she hadn't followed the practice you describe.

• #5,897
I lived in Boston in 1974. Much disregard of traffic lights. They were taken as suggestions.

• #5,898
Rumaging around LinkedIn I noticed that Veritasium has an ad for a writer/director.
Not something I expected to find.

• #5,899
Ibix said:
...there's nothing wrong with crossing to the gap in the central reservation (if your tail doesn't block the first carriageway) and then emerging on to the second carriageway just as you would emerge from a side road onto a main road with restricted view "upstream":
This was my take as well. In the diagram, there is room for the emerging vehicle to cross the frost half of the road. That is what I would do.

• #5,900
TIL that a lemon is a hybrid:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon#Taxonomy said:
A genomic study of the lemon indicated it was a hybrid between bitter orange (sour orange) and citron.
And even the bitter orange is one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange said:
It is probably a cross between the pomelo, Citrus maxima, and the mandarin orange, Citrus reticulata.

This means life never gave us lemons ... we made them. So making lemonade is a solution to a problem we created ourselves!

This just turned an optimistic proverb into a very pessimistic one.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, BillTre and Ibix
  • #5,901
Today I learned that the Mercator projection isn't what I thought it was.

When I was a child and teenager, I was told that the Mercator projection was what you got by putting a light source at the centre of a hollow transparent globe, and wrapped a piece of paper around the equator to form a cylinder. The pattern from the globe's surface projected onto the paper was the Mercator projection. That's what several pop-sci sources said, and (if my memory is correct) what teachers at school said, too.

Today I learned that was a lie. The projection described above is actually the central cylindrical projection. It's very similar to the Mercator projection near the equator but progressively differs as you move towards the poles. The true Mercator projection is a conformal mapping, which means that it preserves angles and, locally, the north-south and east-west scales are the same as each other. And that's why, historically, ship navigators liked it, because compass bearings at sea match angles on the map. (I say "historically" because I guess nowadays not many navigators use sextants and paper maps, but use GPS and computers instead.)

Lots of images comparing the two projections at: https://map-projections.net/compare.php?p1=central-cylindric&p2=mercator-84&w=1&sm=1&d=1

Likes strangerep and dextercioby
  • #5,902
jack action said:

And even the bitter orange is one:

This means life never gave us lemons ... we made them. So making lemonade is a solution to a problem we created ourselves!

This just turned an optimistic proverb into a very pessimistic one.
TIL that the word citron, which is the Swedish word for lemon, exists in English but refers to what we in Swedish call a true lemon.

• #5,903
  • Haha
Likes diogenesNY, DaveC426913, Borg and 1 other person
  • #5,904
jack action said:
Since it seems that the hybridisicity of the lemon was determined by genome studies not historical breeding records, it may have been a natural hybrid (they do occur). Both the natural hybrid and one from a human breeding scheme would have similar genomes.
Maybe the citron is different.

• Informative
Likes jack action
  • #5,905
  • #5,906
DrGreg said:
I thought it was the Citroën 2CV that many said was a true lemon?
There was a guy who lived near where I grew up who had a 2CV with a spoiler on the back.

• #5,907

Likes Ibix
  • #5,908
DrGreg said:
Today I learned that the Mercator projection isn't what I thought it was.

When I was a child and teenager, I was told that the Mercator projection was what you got by putting a light source at the centre of a hollow transparent globe, and wrapped a piece of paper around the equator to form a cylinder. The pattern from the globe's surface projected onto the paper was the Mercator projection. That's what several pop-sci sources said, and (if my memory is correct) what teachers at school said, too.

Today I learned that was a lie. The projection described above is actually the central cylindrical projection. It's very similar to the Mercator projection near the equator but progressively differs as you move towards the poles. The true Mercator projection is a conformal mapping, which means that it preserves angles and, locally, the north-south and east-west scales are the same as each other. And that's why, historically, ship navigators liked it, because compass bearings at sea match angles on the map. (I say "historically" because I guess nowadays not many navigators use sextants and paper maps, but use GPS and computers instead.)

Lots of images comparing the two projections at: https://map-projections.net/compare.php?p1=central-cylindric&p2=mercator-84&w=1&sm=1&d=1
John Dee was in his days the most educated man in England. He went to Europe to catch up with the technology. Back to England he brought Euclid's Elements and the Mercator projection. This was crucial for navigation. John more or less founded the British Navy and the general concept of benevolent Empire.

It was widely believed that his mastery of witchcraft caused the sinking of the Spanish Armada. His home was sacked owing to his alleged diabolism.

I'm doing this from memory so don't entirely trust it.

• Wow
Likes strangerep
  • #5,909
TIL that Newton was forced into the home office due to a lockdown because of the plague.

Interesting perspective. And before you complain or oppose, this is exactly how the anthropological principle works: causality a posteriori.

• #5,911
TIL, Anglo American owns 85% of De Beers Group, the world's leading diamond company. The remaining 15% is owned by the Government of the Republic of Botswana (GRB). De Beers Group and its partners produce around one third of the world's rough diamonds, by value.
https://www.angloamerican.com/products/diamonds?product=diamonds

I did not know that.

BHP Group (the world's largest mining company by market capitlaization) has been attempting a merger/acquisition of Anglo American. Anglo American, which produces diamonds (De Beers), platinum, nickel, iron ore and manganese, metallurgical and thermal coal, and copper, would have to spin off their South African iron ore and platinum businesses.
https://www.angloamerican.com/about-us/where-we-operate
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bhp-investors-see-anglo-american-060409225.html

Glencore (a Swiss-based commodities trading and mining company) may be the largest based on revenue.