Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,496
Hornbein said:
TIL that honeybees can be weaponized. What next, bunny rabbits?

This man was trained to stick his tongue out whenever he had a good idea.

1695952143625.png

Anyway, you can geek out on bee olfaction here https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214574523000159 if you want.

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,497
TIL that workers in Alfred Nobel's nitroglycerine factory had to sit on one-legged stools so that they wouldn't be able to fall asleep on the job and thus cause an accident.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, DaveC426913 and Hornbein
  • #5,498
Swamp Thing said:
TIL that workers in Alfred Nobel's nitroglycerine factory had to sit on one-legged stools so that they wouldn't be able to fall asleep on the job and thus cause an accident.

Hmm, I wonder about the accidents from sitting on a one-legged stool...

Likes diogenesNY and Swamp Thing
  • #5,499
Hornbein said:
TIL that honeybees can be weaponized. What next, bunny rabbits?

Is this a reasonably plausible roadmap to develop an explosives / drugs / gas leak detector:

Identify the receptor molecules that are involved when bees smell the target substance. Modify some bacteria so they produce those molecules. Find a way to get an electronic signal when the receptor molecules catch their target molecules.

Ref: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214574523000159

Another possibility: based on recent progress in growing artificial tissue... Can we grow bee tissue (from stem cells or whatever) of the right type, then interface with it via microelectrodes?

Last edited:
  • #5,500

. . .you may not be getting the fish you order at a restaurant. Apparently, many restaurants think consumers are too dumb to know the difference between x-fish (more expensive) and y-fish (cheaper) and will substitute y for x.

*shakes head*

Trickery is everywhere. A family friend, I found out, cheated my parents when he & his crew built a fence for them. He charged them for cedar (which they requested, as it's a better wood), but used pine instead (substantiated by multiple knowledgeable sources). Took their money for a garage construction job also and only completed 75-80% of it and said would return to do the rest (never did and said he was too busy and told them to finish it themselves).

Cheaper substitutions. . .be wary.

• #5,501
Swamp Thing said:
Is this a reasonably plausible roadmap to develop an explosives / drugs / gas leak detector:

Identify the receptor molecules that are involved when bees smell the target substance. Modify some bacteria so they produce those molecules. Find a way to get an electronic signal when the receptor molecules catch their target molecules.

Ref: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214574523000159

Another possibility: based on recent progress in growing artificial tissue... Can we grow bee tissue (from stem cells or whatever) of the right type, then interface with it via microelectrodes?
Last time I looked (ten years ago?) the basics of the sense of smell were not understood. We don't know how it works.

• #5,502
kyphysics said:
. . .you may not be getting the fish you order at a restaurant. Apparently, many restaurants think consumers are too dumb to know the difference between x-fish (more expensive) and y-fish (cheaper) and will substitute y for x.

*shakes head*

Trickery is everywhere. A family friend, I found out, cheated my parents when he & his crew built a fence for them. He charged them for cedar (which they requested, as it's a better wood), but used pine instead (substantiated by multiple knowledgeable sources). Took their money for a garage construction job also and only completed 75-80% of it and said would return to do the rest (never did and said he was too busy and told them to finish it themselves).

Cheaper substitutions. . .be wary.
This is so true! I once had a contract for a deck built of cedar, but when they finished it I found out they'd used pollock.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Hornbein, NTL2009 and 1 other person
  • #5,503
DaveC426913 said:
This is so true! I once had a contract for a deck built of cedar, but when they finished it I found out they'd used pollock.
Cheaters are everywhere. Sometimes, it's just very tough and/or exhausting to try to keep up with scams. Who has time (and/or knowledge) to look into all these fake/scam-ey/cheating situations?

Here is another construction/carpenter one. You agree to buy some materials:

dry wall
a crown molding
a pillar/post

The contractor buys it and gives you the receipt (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.). Then, when he/she installs the actual item, they use a a different, cheaper one. SECRET: they bought these separately and have a separate receipt for them. They charged you for the expensive ones (which they bought also, but will not use), but then actually gave you a cheaper item. Afterwards, they return the more expensive items and pocket the difference.

The "trick" to this one is you think you got the real goods, b/c of the legitimate receipt for them.

Unless you demand the receipt and boxing for items AND have an EYE to spot differences, you could get taken.

Speaking of pollock, apparently scallops are one of the most faked items and one way is to use pollock fish instead:

Inside Edition's fake food series has me super angry and paranoid now. So many cheats out there!

• #5,504
phinds said:
Yeah, but I've tried adjusting my personal aspect ratio and I'm STILL fat !
And that goes for sitting at the computer all day!

• #5,505
Greg Bernhardt said:
Today I learned that "chasing the dragon" is slang for smoking heroin.
Jim Morrison speaks of 'Riding the Snake!'

• #5,506
TIL about "skiplagging". Apparently, it can sometimes be cheaper to by a ticket from Airport A to Airport C with a layover at airport B than it is to by a ticket for a direct flight to Airport B. So people wanting to go from A to B will by the layover ticket, and never take the second leg of the trip to C. Of course, the Airlines don't like it, as it leaves them with an empty seat from B to C that they otherwise could of sold.

• Haha
Likes Borg and BillTre
  • #5,507
I don't know about these days but it used to be true that some flights were cheaper for a round trip than for one way so folks who wanted a one-way ticket would buy a round trip and not use the return flight. Airline prices often don't make any sense.

• #5,508
Janus said:
Of course, the Airlines don't like it, as it leaves them with an empty seat from B to C that they otherwise could of sold.

phinds said:
I don't know about these days but it used to be true that some flights were cheaper for a round trip than for one way so folks who wanted a one-way ticket would buy a round trip and not use the return flight. Airline prices often don't make any sense.

This is an indication of their profit margins.

If they charge, say, $1000 for a layover from A to C,
But they charge, say, $1200 for the direct flight,
That means the full flight from A to C (including all additional costs of the layover, let's say $200) costs less than $800.
Which means the cost of a direct flight is less than $800.
And that $400+ is straight additional profit.

• #5,509
TIL Something about a series. I am now very depressed about it.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #5,510
Janus said:
Of course, the Airlines don't like it, as it leaves them with an empty seat from B to C that they otherwise could of sold.
But wasn't it already sold in the first place? If people buy tickets for a flight and 90% of the passengers don't show up, why would the company care if there are only 10% of the seats filled? It just means less fuel needed thus a bigger profit.

• #5,511
This skiplagging has been in the news recently. The reports said that
  • it is specifically prohibited by the "contract" you (apparently) agree to when you buy your ticket
  • the airlines can ban you from future flights and confiscate your freq flyer miles
Why would they be so upset? I think mainly because it exposes the nonsensical pricing, where A to B ticket is more $$ than A to B to C. Imagine if bus fares worked this way. "Wait, you have to pay more to get off at this stop!"

• #5,512
TIL Nobel for physics 2023 is announced tomo

• #5,513
pinball1970 said:
Europe is back on Standard Time already?

• #5,514
phinds said:
I don't think that this happens as much anymore but I have used it in the past. My wife was overseas once and needed to come home. She couldn't understand why I bought her a round-trip ticket. It took a bit of explaining to assure her that I did not buy a more expensive ticket and that yes, the round trip version was cheaper.

Likes BillTre and phinds
  • #5,515
Suppose your itinerary is A to B to C to D. Often the ticket from A to D is less than B to C.

• #5,516
Hornbein said:
Suppose your itinerary is A to B to C to D. Often the ticket from A to D is less than B to C.
As I said
phinds said:
Airline prices often don't make any sense.

• #5,517
gmax137 said:
it is specifically prohibited by the "contract" you (apparently) agree to when you buy your ticket
I really struggle to imagine a contract term saying "you paid for services A and B, and if you only use A we can punish you" being enforceable. Doesn't mean they don't write such a term, of course, and challenging one might be more risky than it's worth.
gmax137 said:
Why would they be so upset?
I think they may have to request fuel volumes before they know people haven't turned up. So they end up carrying more fuel than they need, which is more delay during refueling and more weight in flight (and therefore fuel use) than they need. If no-showing is particularly rampant they may have more flights than they need, and/or more staff on duty.

It all stems from their bizarre pricing structure, of course, but large scale no-shows probably do cost them money.

• #5,518
Airlines do account for this by overbooking flights and selling more seats than the plane holds. Usually it works pretty well for them but sometimes they have to explain it to irate passengers who expected that they had a confirmed seat assignment and are suddenly being bumped from the plane.

Last edited:
  • #5,519
Ibix said:
I really struggle to imagine a contract term saying "you paid for services A and B, and if you only use A we can punish you" being enforceable.
Yeah, go check out my thread on phones and services.
You want a 2-year contract? Here's an almost free phone.
Oh, you just want the phone? That's $1000.

Likes BillTre and gmax137
  • #5,520
Ibix said:
So they end up carrying more fuel than they need, which is more delay during refueling and more weight in flight (and therefore fuel use) than they need. If no-showing is particularly rampant they may have more flights than they need, and/or more staff on duty.
But I already paid for that fuel and that staff. The plane is still lighter by my weight - and my baggage - missing and the staff can give a better service to the other passengers.

Imagine you buy tickets for an entire airplane and don't show up. The entire staff is there and the fuel tanks are full. The plane is empty and leaves anyway ... because they were paid to do so. Not only they won't lose money (the ticket buyers do) but they will use less fuel overall, have no meals to serve, etc. so a slightly larger profit overall. Sure, they could have made more if they had not hired the staff and filled up the tanks, but they cannot lose any if they priced their fare right from the beginning.

Likes Hornbein and BillTre
  • #5,521
jack action said:
But I already paid for that fuel and that staff.
Sure - I should have said "they spend more money than they needed to".

I'm not defending them. Their pricing system is stupid.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,522
berkeman said:
Europe is back on Standard Time already?
UK on BST till 29.10.23

• #5,523
pinball1970 said:
UK on BST till 29.10.23
What does it change to then? British Daylight Time? :oops:

• #5,524
berkeman said:
What does it change to then? British Daylight Time? :oops:
Greenwich Mean Time.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,526
If the airline can intimidate/coerce you into buying a one way ticket for more money than the round trip then they make more money. It is a rational profit-maximizing practice.

• #5,527
TIL I learned that during a 1989 concert Peter Townsend impaled his right hand on the whammy bar of a Fender Stratocaster. When right through his palm. The doctors told him he was very lucky to avoid permanent damage. He was able to continue the tour.

• #5,528
pinball1970 said:

No sound yet. Love the fact they just sit on the floor like students. Cant remember the last time I sat on the floor, probably when I was a student.

• #5,529
pinball1970 said:
No sound yet. Love the fact they just sit on the floor like students. Cant remember the last time I sat on the floor, probably when I was a student.
In Tokyo concerts for young people often have no chairs, just a concrete floor. This allows more people to be packed in there, and sometimes they are indeed packed with maybe a thousand viewers. I can't stand up on concrete that long so I'd resort to the floor.

• #5,530
Today I learned that it appears that redheads need more anaesthetic. https://www.healthline.com/health/redheads-and-anesthesia

Anesthesiologists are starting to take this into account but are doing so naively. They may overly dose patients with hair dyed red and underdose redheads whose hair has turned grey.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman