To find the time for which a vessel is within range of these guns

In summary, the cruiser sees the destroyer on a course of 360 degrees at a relative speed of 20 km/h. The destroyer is 48 km away and will be within range of the cruiser's guns for 1.69 hours.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the time for which a vessel is in range of guns
Relevant Equations
d=st
Could I please ask for help with the following question (the second part):

A cruiser sailing due north at 24 km/h sights a destroyer 48 km due east sailiing at 56 km/h on a course (360-a) degress where cos(a)=11/14.

Show that the destroyer's course realtive to the cruiser is on a bearing of 300 degrees and find the relative speed.

If the cruiser's guns have a maximum reange of 30 km and both ships maintain course and speed, find for how long the destoyer will be within range.

I've done the first part and agree with the book's answer:

Let ##V_{DC}## be the velocity of the destroyer realtive to the cruiser then my (and the book's) answer is:

##V_{DC_x}=-20\sqrt{3}## and ##V_{DC_y}=20##

So, here's my answer to the second part and I disagree with the book answer of 56 minutes.

Let ##r_C ## be the position vector of the cruiser and ##r_D## be the position vector of the destroyer, both relative to the cruiser's starting position, then:

(let i be the unit vector in the direction of east and j the unit vector in the direction of north and t be time)

##r_C=24tj## and ##r_D=(48-20\sqrt{3}t)i+20tj##

and so the position vector of the destroyer relative to the cruiser is:

##r_{DC}=(48-20\sqrt{3}t)i-4j##

And so the square of the distance between the vessels is:

##D^2=(48-20\sqrt{3}t)^2+16t^2##

And so we need to solve:

##(48-20\sqrt{3}t)^2+16t^2 <900##

To check, I put this into Wolfram Alpha and get:

WA.PNG

And that gives a time of approx 2.21 - 0.52 = 1.69 hours which is not the book answer,

Can anyone show me my mistake?

Thanks,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the destroyer moving at 4 km/h north/south relative to the cruiser or 20 km/h? You have equations that say both.

Last edited:
It might also be easier to solve the second part by drawing a diagram and considering an isosceles triangle, it just means you can substitute some of the long-winded algebra for a bit of geometry.

Thanks for your comments,

I found my silly mistake right at the beginning. I used the relative velocity of the deatroyer rather than its velocity relative to the Earth in my position vector equations.

Likes etotheipi
gnits said:
Thanks for your comments,

I found my silly mistake right at the beginning. I used the relative velocity of the deatroyer rather than its velocity relative to the Earth in my position vector equations.

You could also done it all in the frame of the cruiser and worked it through that way. But yeah, it's an easy mistake (but wrong!) to mix and match frames.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of "within range" for these guns?

The term "within range" refers to the distance at which a gun can accurately hit its target. This distance is determined by various factors such as the type of gun, the ammunition used, and the target's speed and trajectory.

2. How is the time for which a vessel is within range of these guns calculated?

The time for which a vessel is within range of these guns is calculated by dividing the distance between the vessel and the guns by the speed of the vessel. This gives the time it would take for the vessel to cover the distance and enter the range of the guns.

3. Can the time within range of these guns be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time within range of these guns can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions, sea currents, and the vessel's maneuverability. These factors can impact the vessel's speed and trajectory, thus altering the time it takes to enter and exit the range of the guns.

4. How accurate is the calculation of the time within range of these guns?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the input data used, such as the distance between the vessel and the guns, the vessel's speed, and any external factors that may affect the calculation. A small error in any of these inputs can result in a significant difference in the calculated time.

5. Can the time within range of these guns be improved?

Yes, the time within range of these guns can be improved by using more precise and accurate data, such as using radar or GPS technology to determine the vessel's speed and location. Additionally, using advanced ballistic calculations and accounting for external factors can also improve the accuracy of the calculation.