Finding the resultant of two vector of an oblique triangle

In summary, to find the resultant displacement of a car that travels 20.0 km due north and then 35.0 km in a direction 60.0° west of north, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector, which is approximately 40.3112887 km. To find the angle β between vector A and the resultant, you can use the basic trig formulas for a right triangle and find that it is approximately 39° west of north. Alternatively, you can break down the vectors into their components and use the formula for finding the magnitude of a vector from its components to find the same result.
ElizabethC7

Homework Statement

A car travels 20.0 km due north and then 35.0 km in a direction 60.0° west of north. Using a graph, find the magnitude and direction of a single vector that gives the net effect of the car's trip. This vector is called the car's resultant displacement.

I am studying for a physics test, and this is a problem out of my textbook. The author gives the answer of the resultant to be 48 km, and the angle β, the angle between vector A and the resultant, to be 39° west of north.

Homework Equations

From the book, because I missed class the day we went over this, I have learned that to find the resultant one simply adds vector A to vector B.

R= A + B

Also, from different physics web sites, some people have suggested the pythagorean theorem; however, I believe that only works with right triangles, not oblique.

R2= A2 + B2

Lastly, I came across this equation.

c2= a2 + b2 - 2abcos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried all 3 equations.

1) R= 20 + 35= 55

2) R2=202 +352
R2= 1625
R= (sqrt 1625)
R= 40.3112887

3) R2= 202 + 352 - 2(20)(35)cos(60)
R2= 1625-1400cos(60)
R2=1625-933.71
R2= 691.29
R= 26.2923943

Obviously, none of these solutions match the one given by the author. How am I supposed to work this problem to find the right solution? As far as finding angle β, I have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Add vectors by adding their components. The result is the components of, you guessed it, the resultant! So first break down your given vectors into their components.

The two components of your resultant will be at right angles to each other, just as in a Pythagorean triangle. So use the appropriate formula to find the magnitude of that vector from its components.

Also, look at your graph of the setup to determine how you might find the requested angle of the resultant.

Thank you for your help, but could you explain how I am to find vector components?

ElizabethC7 said:
Thank you for your help, but could you explain how I am to find vector components?

Draw a diagram of a vector on a set of Cartesian coordinates. The components of the vector are the perpendicular projections of the vector on the coordinate axes.

If the vector projects from the origin to a point (x,y), then x and y are also the magnitudes of the components. Clearly, then, given a vector of length R that makes some angle θ with the x-axis, the components can be found using the basic trig formulas for a right triangle.

To find the resultant of two vectors in an oblique triangle, you can use the law of cosines: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(C), where c is the length of the resultant, a and b are the lengths of the two vectors, and C is the angle between them. In this case, c represents the resultant displacement of the car.

Using this formula, we can plug in the values given in the problem: c^2 = (20 km)^2 + (35 km)^2 - 2(20 km)(35 km)cos(60°) = 400 + 1225 - 700(0.5) = 625. Taking the square root of both sides, we get c = 25 km.

Therefore, the magnitude of the resultant displacement is 25 km. To find the direction, we can use the law of sines: sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c, where A and B are the angles opposite sides a and b, respectively. In this case, we know the lengths of sides a, b, and c, and we can solve for the angle opposite side c, which is the angle between the two given vectors.

sin(C)/c = sin(60°)/35 km = sin(β)/25 km. Solving for β, we get sin(β) = (25 km)(sin(60°))/35 km = 0.714. Taking the inverse sine of both sides, we get β = 45.53° west of north.

Therefore, the resultant displacement of the car is 25 km at an angle of 45.53° west of north. This is the vector that represents the net effect of the car's trip. I hope this helps in your preparation for your physics test.

Related to Finding the resultant of two vector of an oblique triangle

1. How do you find the resultant of two vectors in an oblique triangle?

To find the resultant of two vectors in an oblique triangle, you can use the law of cosines. This states that the square of the length of the resultant vector is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the two original vectors, minus twice their product multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

2. What is the law of cosines?

The law of cosines is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side in a triangle when the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them are known. It can also be used to find the angle between two sides when the lengths of all three sides are known.

3. What is the difference between an oblique triangle and a right triangle?

An oblique triangle is a triangle that does not have a right angle (90 degrees), while a right triangle has one angle that measures 90 degrees. In an oblique triangle, the sides and angles are not related in a simple way, unlike in a right triangle where the sides and angles follow specific ratios.

4. Can the resultant vector be longer than the individual vectors in an oblique triangle?

Yes, the resultant vector can be longer than the individual vectors in an oblique triangle. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is less than 90 degrees. In this case, the resultant vector will be longer than either of the individual vectors.

5. How is the direction of the resultant vector determined in an oblique triangle?

The direction of the resultant vector is determined by the angle it makes with the positive x-axis. This angle can be found using the inverse tangent function, also known as arctan, and is typically measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.