Angle b/w Velocity $\&$ Acceleration Vectors at $t=0$

In summary, the vector r(t) is the position vector of a particle at time t. Find the angle between the velocity and the acceleration vectors at time t=0.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{243.13.0113}$

$\textsf{The vector $r(t)$ is the position vector of a particle at time $t$.}]$
$\textsf{Find the angle between the velocity and the acceleration vectors at time $t=0$}\\$
\begin{align*} \displaystyle
r_{13}(t)&=sin^{-1}(4t)\large\textbf{i}+\ln(7t^2+1)\large\textbf{j}+\sqrt{8t^2+1}\large\textbf{k}\\
v_{13}(t)&=\frac{4}{\sqrt{1 - 16 t^2}}\large\textbf{i}
+ \frac{14 t}{(7t^2+1)}\large\textbf{j}
+ \frac{8 t}{\sqrt{8 t^2 + 1}}\large\textbf{k}\\
a_{13}(t)&=a_{13}(t)=\frac{64t}{(1- 16t^2)^{3/2}}\large\textbf{i}
+\frac{14-98t^2}{(7t^2+1)^2}\large\textbf{j}
+\frac{8}{(8t^2+1)^{3/2}}\large\textbf{k}\\
\textit{book answer}&=\color{red}{\frac{\pi}{2}}
\end{align*}

ok this looks kinda hefty
can we plug in the $t=0$
before the leap of faith into dot product or no?(drink)

Physics news on Phys.org
tkhunny said:
Sometimes, a quick search will help you along your way...
https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/...gle-Between-Velocity-and-Acceleration-Vectors
I think you have the right idea. Go without fear!

What... linked to the competition?:confused:

if $t=0$ then

\begin{align*} \displaystyle
v_{13}(0)&=4\large\textbf{i} +0\large\textbf{j} +0\large\textbf{k}\\
a_{13}(0)&=0\large\textbf{i} +14\large\textbf{j} +8\large\textbf{k}\\
\end{align*}

and then

\begin{align*}
\theta&=\cos^{-1}
\left[\frac{u\cdot v}{|u||v|} \right]
=\cos^{-1}
\left[\frac{(4,0,0)\cdot (0,14,8)}{|u||v|} \right]
=\cos^{-1}(0)=\frac{\pi}{2}
\end{align*}

suggestions?

Last edited:
karush said:
What... linked to the competition?:confused:

Oops. My bad. I was on both sites, today, and forgot which one was current.

tkhunny said:
Oops. My bad. I was on both sites, today, and forgot which one was current.

Heh. As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind a bit of competition - as long as we end up above sites that are merely spamming! ;)
I'm not familiar with the mentioned site, but I definitely know that some other sites are full of spam and adds, which is something we do not allow or support.

Related to Angle b/w Velocity $\&$ Acceleration Vectors at $t=0$

1. What is the angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0?

The angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 is known as the instantaneous acceleration angle. It represents the direction in which an object's velocity is changing at that particular moment.

2. How do you calculate the angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0?

The angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 can be calculated using the dot product formula: cosθ = (v⃗ ⋅ a⃗)/(|v⃗||a⃗|), where θ is the angle, v⃗ is the velocity vector, and a⃗ is the acceleration vector.

3. What does a large angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 indicate?

A large angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 indicates that the object is experiencing a significant change in its velocity, either in terms of magnitude or direction. This can occur when the object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

4. Is the angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 always constant?

No, the angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 is not always constant. It can change over time as the object's velocity and acceleration change. However, it can be constant in certain cases, such as when the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

5. How does the angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 relate to the object's motion?

The angle between velocity and acceleration vectors at time t=0 can provide information about the object's motion. For example, if the angle is 90 degrees (perpendicular), it indicates that the object is changing direction but not its speed. If the angle is 0 degrees (parallel), it indicates that the object is either moving at a constant speed or is at rest. Additionally, the magnitude of the angle can also give insight into the object's acceleration and the rate at which its velocity is changing.