To find the time taken for one vessel to reach another

In summary, the problem asks for the time it takes for a motor boat to return to a starting point after chasing another boat. The answer is found by solving for the time using the equation for the return trip of a chasing motorboat.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the time taken for one vessel to reach another
Relevant Equations
d=st
Could I please ask for help regarding my answer to the following question?

Capture.JPG

I've done the first part and get the answer of 500 seconds.

I anticipated no problem with the second part, it is the same problem with different inputs, but I have disagreed with the provided answer of 1754 seconds. I get 1283 seconds. My method for this part is the same as for the first.

My reasoning was that after the 500 seconds has elapsed, A will have moved on a further 8 * 500 = 4000 metres and B will have moved on a further 10 * 500 = 5000 metres and the starting position will be as in the diagram below:

triangle.png

So the angle ##\theta## is given by ##atan(\frac{1500\sqrt{3}+4000}{6500}) = 45.43^\circ##

Let the speed of the motor boat in the northerly direction (i) be ##M_x## and in the easterly direction (j) be ##M_y##, we know that ##M_x^2+M_y^2=14^2=196##

Finally, let ##V_{MA}=V_M-V_A## be the velocity of the motor boat relative to A. Then we have:

##V_{MA}=(M_x-8)\,i + M_y\,j##

Now, in order to intercept A, ##V_{MA}## must be parallel to the initial displacement of A from B. Thus we have (for a certain scalar K):

##(M_x-8)\,i + M_y\,j\,=\,sin(45.43^\circ)K\,i + cos(45.43^\circ)K\,j##

so

##(M_x-8)\,i + M_y\,j\,=\,0.7124K\,i + 0.7018K\,j##

And so ##M_x-8=0.7124K##

and ##M_y = 0.7018K##

which gives:

##(0.7124K+8)^2+(0.7018K)^2=196##

This is solved for K, I take positive root to give correct direction of travel parallel tp AB of K = 7.12574 and this leads to:

##M_y=0.7018*7.12574=5.065##

And so time taken to reach A is ##6500/5.065=1283 ##

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer. 1754 s corresponds to a speed of 12.33 m/s.

Thanks for checking. The verification is important. Without it, it feels wrong to just assume the books answer incorrect. Mitch.

gnits said:
Thanks for checking. The verification is important. Without it, it feels wrong to just assume the books answer incorrect. Mitch.
The ##1754s## could be the total time. Although, I actually get an answer of ##1300s## for the return journey.

The numbers in this problem defeated me, so I retreated into the sanctuary of algebra and got:
$$ t = \frac{1}{v^2 - u^2}(lu + \sqrt{(lu)^2 + d^2(v^2 - u^2)})$$
Where ##v## is the speed of the motor boat, ##u## the speed of the boat it's chasing; ##d## is the initial total distance between the motor boat and the target and ##l## is the initial distance in the direction of ##u##.

Last edited:

Related to To find the time taken for one vessel to reach another

1. How can I calculate the time taken for one vessel to reach another?

The time taken for one vessel to reach another can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two vessels by the speed of the first vessel. This will give you the time in hours.

2. What factors affect the time taken for one vessel to reach another?

The time taken for one vessel to reach another can be affected by factors such as the speed of the vessels, the distance between them, weather conditions, and any obstacles in the way.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the time taken for one vessel to reach another?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as you use the same unit for both distance and speed. For example, if the distance is measured in kilometers, the speed should also be measured in kilometers per hour.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the time taken for one vessel to reach another?

Yes, the formula for calculating the time taken for one vessel to reach another is time = distance / speed. This is known as the time-speed-distance formula.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the time taken for one vessel to reach another?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the input values, such as the distance and speed. If these values are measured accurately, the calculated time will also be accurate. However, external factors such as weather and obstacles can affect the actual time taken for the vessels to reach each other.