Thermodynamic differental relations problem

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing the differential changes in volume due to differential changes in temperature and pressure, and determining the fractional/relative change. It is determined that the fractional change can be written as the coefficient of thermal expansion multiplied by the change in pressure, minus the negative coefficient of isothermal compression multiplied by the change in temperature.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

Assuming V is a function of P and T such that

[itex]V = V(P,T)[/itex]

express the differential changes in volume due to differential changes in Temperature and pressure, what is the fractional/relative change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since V is a function of P and T:

[itex] dV = \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} dP + \frac{\partial V}{\partial P} dT[/itex]

so we can say:

[itex] \left[\frac{dV}{dP}\right]_T = \frac{\partial V}{\partial T}[/itex]

and

[itex] \left[\frac{dV}{dT}\right]_P = \frac{\partial V}{\partial P}[/itex]

is this correct or have i read the question wrong, I am not really sure what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're doing either. Where does your first equation in the solution come from? Typically one writes

[tex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T\,dP+\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P\,dT[/tex]

Ah, i got it the wrong way around then. Makes slightly more sense now.

so we are looking for fractional change, ie. [itex] \frac{dV}{V}[/itex]

so if we say that:

[itex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\patial P}\right)_T dP + \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P dT[/itex]

then divide by V to get fractional change:

[itex]\frac{dV}{V}=\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\patial P}\right)_T dP + \frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P dT[/itex]

now i notice that:

[itex] \frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P[/itex] is the coeficcient of thermal expansion [itex]\alpha[/itex]

and
[itex] \frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T[/itex] is negative coeficcient of isothermal compression [itex]-\kappa_T[/itex]

so this can be re-written as:

[itex]\frac{dV}{V} = \alpha dP - \kappa_T dT[/itex]

i think this is right.

Nice!

Thanks for pointing that out, would have been scratching my head all night otherwise ;)

Related to Thermodynamic differental relations problem

1. What are thermodynamic differential relations?

Thermodynamic differential relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between different thermodynamic quantities, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. Why are thermodynamic differential relations important?

Thermodynamic differential relations are important because they allow scientists to predict how a system will respond to changes in its environment, and to calculate various thermodynamic properties.

3. How do you solve thermodynamic differential relations problems?

Solving thermodynamic differential relations problems involves using a combination of calculus, thermodynamic principles, and knowledge of the specific system being studied. It often requires breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using mathematical manipulation to find the solution.

4. What are some common thermodynamic differential relations problems?

Some common thermodynamic differential relations problems include calculating changes in temperature, pressure, or volume in a system, determining the efficiency of a thermodynamic process, and finding the equilibrium conditions for a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamic differential relations?

Thermodynamic differential relations have many real-world applications, including in the design of engines and power plants, in understanding atmospheric processes, and in studying the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures and pressures.