Specific Heat Capacity Derivation

In summary, the specific heat capacity at constant volume and the specific heat capacity at constant pressure are intensive properties that are defined for pure, simple compressible substances as partial derivatives of the functions u(T, v) and h(T, p), respectively.
cwill53
Homework Statement
Problem with Specific Heat Capacity Derivation
Relevant Equations
##c_v=\left ( \frac{\partial u}{\partial T} \right )_v##
##c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial h}{\partial T} \right )_p##
The specific heat capacity at constant volume and the specific heat capacity at constant pressure are intensive properties defined for pure, simple compressible substances as partial derivatives of the functions u(T, v) and h(T, p), respectively,
$$c_v=\left ( \frac{\partial u}{\partial T} \right )_v$$
$$c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial h}{\partial T} \right )_p$$
Can someone explain why this is? The book from which I got this from doesn't derive these expressions. I want to know what expressions for u(T,v) and h(T,p) are differentiated.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
Homework Statement:: Problem with Specific Heat Capacity Derivation
Relevant Equations:: ##c_v=\left ( \frac{\partial u}{\partial T} \right )_v##
##c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial h}{\partial T} \right )_p##

The specific heat capacity at constant volume and the specific heat capacity at constant pressure are intensive properties defined for pure, simple compressible substances as partial derivatives of the functions u(T, v) and h(T, p), respectively,
$$c_v=\left ( \frac{\partial u}{\partial T} \right )_v$$
$$c_p=\left ( \frac{\partial h}{\partial T} \right )_p$$
Can someone explain why this is? The book from which I got this from doesn't derive these expressions. I want to know what expressions for u(T,v) and h(T,p) are differentiated.
They are impossible to derive...because they are definitions. They will match the old definitions you are used to, in terms of heat, in the specific cases of constant volume and constant pressure, respectively. But defining them in terms of heat is not really valid because they are physical properties of the material, and not related to heat, which is process path dependent (and thus can't be a physical property).

Likes Charles Link and cwill53
Chestermiller said:
They are impossible to derive...because they are definitions. They will match the old definitions you are used to, in terms of heat, in the specific cases of constant volume and constant pressure, respectively. But defining them in terms of heat is not really valid because they are physical properties of the material, and not related to heat, which is process path dependent (and thus can't be a physical property).
I see. Can heat capacity in general, not specific heat, be defined in terms of physical properties? Or are those also definitions.

cwill53 said:
I see. Can heat capacity in general, not specific heat, be defined in terms of physical properties? Or are those also definitions.
My experience is that most of the time, people use the terms specific heat and heat capacity synonymously. However, in some cases, heat capacity is used to mean specific heat times the number of moles or mass. So, either way, they are defined the way I have said. And in the latter case, heat capacity is the extensive property equivalent of specific heat, just as U is the extensive property equivalent of u.

Likes Charles Link and cwill53
Chestermiller said:
My experience is that most of the time, people use the terms specific heat and heat capacity synonymously. However, in some cases, heat capacity is used to mean specific heat times the number of moles or mass. So, either way, they are defined the way I have said. And in the latter case, heat capacity is the extensive property equivalent of specific heat, just as U is the extensive property equivalent of u.
Thanks for the informative reply!

1. What is specific heat capacity and why is it important?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is an important property because it helps us understand how much energy is needed to change the temperature of a substance, which is crucial for many industrial and scientific processes.

2. How is specific heat capacity derived?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be derived by dividing the amount of heat added to the substance by the change in temperature and the mass of the substance. This formula can be written as Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat added, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What are the units of specific heat capacity?

The SI unit for specific heat capacity is joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg·°C). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g·°C) or joules per gram per Kelvin (J/g·K).

4. How does specific heat capacity vary among different substances?

The specific heat capacity of a substance depends on its physical and chemical properties. Generally, substances with higher molecular weights have higher specific heat capacities. Additionally, substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher specific heat capacities.

5. How is specific heat capacity used in real-world applications?

Specific heat capacity is used in a variety of industries and scientific fields. It is essential for designing heating and cooling systems, determining the energy needed for chemical reactions, and understanding the thermal properties of materials. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and food science.